Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bilstein Lift Options. Help me out here.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #41
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
Good question, I thought it was the stock driver's side spring seat that compensated for lean.
Maybe someone with stock take-off parts laying around could compare right-left dimensions ?
I've got a set of take-offs in my garage, still assembled. I'll take a look but I don't remember there being a difference visually from side to side.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #42
ryank 5 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
ryank 5's Tacoma Gallery
hey also, do you think i could fit 275 70 16's under it?
Old 12-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #43
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I've got a set of take-offs in my garage, still assembled. I'll take a look but I don't remember there being a difference visually from side to side.
If the seats are the same, then maybe it is in the spring.
Mine sits at 20" across the front and 22" across the rear, stock....no lean....so they must have done something.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #44
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
If the seats are the same, then maybe it's in the spring.
Mine sits at 20" across the front and 22" across the rear, stock....no lean....so they must have done something.
My dad and I looked them over when I took them off and could not find a difference side to side. The coils measured the same diameter using a set of calipers. I'll check the seats when I get home. It could just be how the spring is physically made
Old 12-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #45
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank 5 View Post
hey also, do you think i could fit 275 70 16's under it?
Yes, I have bigger tires than you, but i have the cab mount chopped and i stripped off the front mud flaps, I'm running 275/70/17's and nothing rubs, ever, I have 5100's set at 1.75 and TRD sport coils, (not as stiff as the eibachs). I have 2 inch aal's with 5100's and firestone airbags (because i have the lumber rack, shell and tools, bitchin ride. IMO DEFINITELY REPLACE THE SHOCKS!
Old 12-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #46

ryank 5's Tacoma Gallery
i think i'll replace the shocks. there's no 285 that will fit will there?
Old 12-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #47
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
at 1.75, (the highest you can go and still get it to align)? Probably not. Even if you took the mud flaps off and did the cab mount chop, it will probably still rub at full turn.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #48

ryank 5's Tacoma Gallery
you wouldn't go any higher than 1.75? any extras? spacers?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #49
Banned
Quote:
you wouldn't go any higher than 1.75? any extras? spacers?
After all my research that I did here before I bought, I was told that the front end will not align correctly if you go any higher than 1.75 inches. If you wish to go higher then you must put new upper control arms on because the stock ones are too short. I've seen a front end with 3 inches of lift on stock UCA's and it will totally screw up your tires in a hurry. This also includes spacers too, so your total lift cannot be higher that 1.75. If any other members feel different, please chime in.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #50

ryank 5's Tacoma Gallery
But your truck description says your bilsteins are set at 1.75 and your spacers are 1.25 =3 which you said you cant have
Old 12-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #51
Banned
Quote:
But your truck description says your bilsteins are set at 1.75 and your spacers are 1.25 =3 which you said you cant have
The spacers are Spidertrax wheel spacers, they set the rims farther outboard by 1.25 inches on either side, different spacers
Old 12-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #52

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
He's got 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers, not suspension spacers. The 1.25" wheel spacers go between the hub and the wheel making the wheel and tires stick out further giving a wider stance.

As far as the 1.75 vs 2.5 setting, it's a crap shoot. Some members are able to run 5100's at the 2.5 setting with their stock UCA's and still get relatively within spec. At 2.5, you'll be able to get your camber and toe within spec but your castor will be low and cause the truck to feel like it's wandering at higher speeds. Caster does not wear your tires, only camber and toe do. Some shops will sacrifice some of the camber setting to gain caster, this can correct the wandering problem somewhat but having camber out of spec will wear your tires unevenly.

Generally, below 2" of lift, you'll be fine with stock UCA's and will be able to get all alignment numbers within spec. Between 2" and 2.5" of lift it becomes somewhat blurred as to the results you'll get. If you start pushing over 2.5", you should definitely get new UCA's.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:14 AM   #53

ryank 5's Tacoma Gallery
aah i see. ok
Old 12-09-2011, 06:14 AM   #54

ryank 5's Tacoma Gallery
do new uca's provide more lift along with stability?
Old 12-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #55

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
do new uca's provide more lift along with stability?
No, they do not provide lift or stability necessarily. Aftermarket UCAs are more adjustable so you can get your alignment within spec after your lift where as the stock UCAs are not adjustable.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #56

ryank 5's Tacoma Gallery
What about a pro comp lift? Are they any good?
Old 12-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #57
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What about a pro comp lift? Are they any good?
No

Old 12-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #58
HByota is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
HByota's Tacoma Gallery
I am a new Taco owner and keep hearing about the bilstein 5100's. Are these more for just the lift or are they better then stock for off roading as well. I have a friend who just put the rancho RS5000's on his truck and he loves them. I was just wondering what would be a good shock upgrade for a stock truck for better off roading.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #59
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by HByota View Post
I am a new Taco owner and keep hearing about the bilstein 5100's. Are these more for just the lift or are they better then stock for off roading as well. I have a friend who just put the rancho RS5000's on his truck and he loves them. I was just wondering what would be a good shock upgrade for a stock truck for better off roading.
They are VERY popular with the off road guys here as a good, basic shock for the money, i upgraded to them and have beat on them pretty hard and i like them
Old 12-16-2011, 12:53 AM   #60
rdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: Officer
Name: Rick
rdm197aps's Tacoma Gallery
i have the Daystar 2.5 inch lift and noticed the wheels are outta alignment. the top half of the wheels angle out from the "stock" position. ive been watching the wear on the front tires and after a few thousand miles they still look good. guess i'm waiting on new tires before i fix the alignment. ive also noticed the truck wanders at higher speeds... guess that's a sacrifice of having a lift.

as for the buzzing noise, i hear that every now and then from the front end, but i dont know if its from the tire alignment, or the new angle of the suspension. only time will tell. there is no difference in sound/noise between 2wd and 4wd, so im guessing its the tires.