Notices

replace/upgrade suspension without lift

Old 12-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
04SR5 is on a distinguished road
Marines: Sergeant Major
04SR5's Tacoma Gallery
replace/upgrade suspension without lift

Hi all, 1st post newbie here.

I am a new Tacoma owner, and have a new to me 2004 xtra cab SR5 that is bone stock. The ride is a little rough and bouncy, and I'd like to improve it, but I don't have a need to lift the truck. I am a Marine and spend some time on ranges on base, but I'm not seriously off roading, and don't have any plans to. I am moderately mechanically inclined, and have a robust auto hobby shop available to me on base, but I am completely unfamiliar with truck suspension and how to replace them. I read some of the sticky threads about suspension, but they all seem to be for lifting a truck, and I just don't need that. I'd like to do this fairly cheap, but not at the expense of quality.

I am open to any and all suggestions to improve my ride. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
5100's all around and have the front set to the 0" setting. won't lift your truck but will give it a much better ride quality
Old 12-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
04SR5's Tacoma Gallery
Looking around the web the 5100's don't appear to be made for my truck. Even billstein's website takes me to the 4600's when I enter make and model info.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome!

What do you think is wrong with the ride as it is? If you need new shocks because the ride is bouncy, then go with the 5100's. If the stock suspension is shot, then look into a replacement leaf pack and see if you can find new coils without as much wear. Alcan can custom make a set of leafs to your specification, meaning no additional ride height but brand new. We need more information as to what is wrong with your current set up before blindly recommending replacement parts.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
04SR5's Tacoma Gallery
Mostly the ride is rough and bouncy, even on road. Got the truck used with 190K on it, and as far as I know they are the original shocks, leafs, and coils, so they probably just need to be replaced, but if there is something better than OEM out there I am interested in hearing about them before I do anything.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Check out Downsouth motorsports for Bilstein 5100 series shocks. That will help with the bouncy feeling but your suspension as a whole is probably sagging pretty bad with that kind of mileage. How much are you looking to spend for this whole thing? You don't need something like 5100's, the 4600s will work fine for stock height and will probably be a little cheaper. Are you bottoming out on the road? The issue with putting new shocks on a badly worn suspension is it will wear out the shocks quicker. If I were you, go for new shocks first and see if that fixes the ride. If not, you might be in for a more expensive endeavor of replacing leafs and coils.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04SR5 View Post
Mostly the ride is rough and bouncy, even on road. Got the truck used with 190K on it, and as far as I know they are the original shocks, leafs, and coils, so they probably just need to be replaced, but if there is something better than OEM out there I am interested in hearing about them before I do anything.
Welcome to TW!

Shocks will help, and 5100s are a great choice. DSM offers a TW member discount for the best price available. Look here for the specific ones you need. Given the age and mileage of your truck, however, new springs are probably in order. For those, I recommend you check out Wheelers. Stock height is available from their 4-Leaf Spring Set.

If you haven't done so, spend some time reading the Suspension Lift Info and Tacoma Lift FAQ/Guide threads. LOTS of good info to help you decide what you want to do.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
04SR5's Tacoma Gallery
I'd love to spend under 1K on this, but I don't know if that is realistic. Rather than keep putting the truck into the shop if shocks alone doesn't fix it, I'll probably have springs and coils done too. Any idea on a ball park cost? Any recommended shops in the Southern OC area?
Old 12-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Just order from Downsouth Motorsports. They are in your area and i ordered some of my suspension parts from them. Great people and they really know their stuff. You can get 4 5100s, coils (if you want them), and a new leaf pack right at 1,000 i think
Old 02-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #11
SaltSlasher is on a distinguished road
SaltSlasher's Tacoma Gallery
@04SR5

Yo bro, I am with you. I just got my 04', and it is not comfortable at all, just like Jeep Wranglers.

What I am doing is upgrading to Corbeau/PRP bucket seats. I have the regular cab, so I have this 3 seater bench which is absolutely awful (and beat up), but I have the stick shift, which indents in the middle, so no full size adult would ever sit in middle ever, not even a dog could sit there unless your talking a purse dog like a yorkie, even then your cutting it.

As far as the Blistein's the 5100's (which are another thing I am upgrading first because of "bouncy" ride, as in uncomfortable bouncy), from what I read, will fit on pretty much any Tacoma gen 1 or gen 2, if it will fit my 04' it will fit yours! What you might have read was, that at one point in time the 4600's were only ones that would work on all Yota trucks, cause I know I found places that said the 5100's wouldn't work on mine. I also know there website only pulls up 4600's for my truck, but it isn't the only one that works.

If you go to any of the packages offered from a handful of places, like Toytec, some of their packages for my Gen 1 Tacoma, includes Blisteins 5100 series (along with coilovers and leafs). The point is, they would work.

Also, from what I read about my Taco 2004, the back is actually higher than the front. So you might want to consider suspension or at least a leveling kit. I would at least look into that. I am still new to tacos, and not 100% on it, it is just stuff I read.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:11 PM   #12
C Simpson is on a distinguished road
Army: 101st Airborne
Name: Caleb
C Simpson's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds great keep us psoted!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #13
BEBO2014 is on a distinguished road
Army: cannon cocker, Nam
Name: Robert G
BEBO2014's Tacoma Gallery
any info on lowering, 2014 access cab.