Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Spring Shop Rear Leaf Springs?

Old 12-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
Spring Shop Rear Leaf Springs?

I have a Regular cab 2011 4X4. Like all the other Tacoma's, mine has weak springs. There is not a rear leaf TSB for a regular cab. From what I have read, even if there was a TSB, the new replacement springs are weak. I have considered going the add-a-leaf, but again I believe that would only be a temporary fix, as 3 weak springs and 1 good one will only result in a flattened spring pack later.

I have read many posts and looked at many after market leaf spring packs, Deaver, Dakar. Most result in a 1-1/2 to 3 inch lifted rear and needing replacement shocks to compensate for height change. Costs without shocks are running from $400-$600 plus $200 shipping. I have no desire to off-road, my roads here are rough enough to classify as off-road anyway. I do use my truck often hauling lumber and building materials(building my own home). Larger loads I have delivered.

Has anyone chosen to go with a local spring shop leaf pack? If so, how did you have them built, number of leaves, lift? How did the price compare to the aftermarket prices of $400-600? Did you re-use any of your existing springs?

I thank you ahead of time for your thoughts and input.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
One guy went through a junk yard and mated his leaf pack with some from an older Ford. He got some lift but overall it was a very cost effective way to beef up the stock leaf pack. It was a First Gen I believe, I'll see if I can find the thread about it. Other than that, no other help from me, sorry...
Old 12-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
One guy went through a junk yard and mated his leaf pack with some from an older Ford. He got some lift but overall it was a very cost effective way to beef up the stock leaf pack. It was a First Gen I believe, I'll see if I can find the thread about it. Other than that, no other help from me, sorry...
Im pretty sure your talking about Doug he did the ford leaf swap and it turned out pretty damn good. I'm going with 63" chevy springs for my next set.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
ANGUS is on a distinguished road
ANGUS's Tacoma Gallery
My rear leafs sag bad. I have a 3" rough country on my 06 access cab so I was looking into losing the block and going with a leaf pack. Whats the cheapest way? Sorry to thread jack
Old 12-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
I have a Regular cab 2011 4X4. Like all the other Tacoma's, mine has weak springs. There is not a rear leaf TSB for a regular cab. From what I have read, even if there was a TSB, the new replacement springs are weak. I have considered going the add-a-leaf, but again I believe that would only be a temporary fix, as 3 weak springs and 1 good one will only result in a flattened spring pack later.
For what you want and your budget, you will have to have a local spring shop fix you up.
Either they will rework your present springs or build new packs.
Prolly $400-$600 maybe with install included.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:02 AM   #6
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
jflan,

I am looking into one of the local spring shops. There are two respectable shops near here. Both have quoted $300 for them to build and install/align a single add-a-leaf. I may have just a single leaf built and install it myself for cost saving. That way I know I am getting good steel in a spring and not some Taiwanese steel.

As you said, for a full leaf pack, the spring shops are looking at around $600+ installed. But then I know I would never have a spring issue again for the life of my truck. I may look into seeing if the local shops could build similar to a Deaver (8-10) thinner leaves.

Angus,

I am hoping the prices from this post will at least give you a guide and help you makle a decision. I would imagine there are local spring shops near you as well. I would at least talk with your local shops. They can probably build most anything you can think of. None of the answers are cheap. When and where you want to spend the money is the deciding points. Shipping expense will be high($100-200) for any leaf spring packs you purchase from a dealer. So figure that into your decision as well.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
jflan,

I am looking into one of the local spring shops. There are two respectable shops near here. Both have quoted $300 for them to build and install/align a single add-a-leaf. I may have just a single leaf built and install it myself for cost saving. That way I know I am getting good steel in a spring and not some Taiwanese steel.
That seems like a reasonable price for the custom AALs and install.
I can confirm that ToyTec's AALs are by Deaver.
I believe that Wheeler's AALs are by Alcan.
Where they get their steel, I don't know.

Quote:
As you said, for a full leaf pack, the spring shops are looking at around $600+ installed. But then I know I would never have a spring issue again for the life of my truck. I may look into seeing if the local shops could build similar to a Deaver (8-10) thinner leaves.
I have seen it reported that some of these high leaf count Deaver designs give lift and ride comfort but do not excel with heavy loads.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:05 AM   #9
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Im pretty sure your talking about Doug he did the ford leaf swap and it turned out pretty damn good. I'm going with 63" chevy springs for my next set.
My ears must've been burning haha. heres some 2nd gen springs I did for a member using his stock main & secondary springs with the TSB with the addition of 1 Ford spring...

going to wrecking yard tomorrow for more springs to build 3 sets for members

Old 12-22-2011, 01:12 AM   #10
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
These are my rebuilt stock leafs w/2 Ford springs per side

3" gain in lift, fantastic performance on/offroad

doing a little trimming

Old 12-22-2011, 05:46 AM   #11
4WD,

What Ford Springs are you using, truck, car?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:09 AM   #12
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
These are my rebuilt stock leafs w/2 Ford springs per side

3" gain in lift, fantastic performance on/offroad

doing a little trimming

Yep, your ears musta been burning!

And wear your safety glasses when cutting those things! How are you going to keep posting to TW if you can't see?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:14 AM   #13
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
So I can find a spring shop (or 4wd on here apparently, lol) that would build me a new set of leaf springs that would have the same load capacity and what not, but not lift the rear at all, and would prevent sagging when loaded?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:16 AM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by captclueless View Post
So I can find a spring shop that would build me a new set of leaf springs that would have the same load capacity and what not, but not lift the rear at all, and would prevent sagging when loaded?
Sure can. Alcan for one makes custom springs to your specification and I'm sure others do also. They're kinda pricey though. Have you thought about air bags for your application?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:25 AM   #15
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Sure can. Alcan for one makes custom springs to your specification and I'm sure others do also. They're kinda pricey though. Have you thought about air bags for your application?
I have not. I have the 3 leaf pack and my truck doesn't have a warranty, so I figured I could either buy the toyota TSB leaf pack and install it myself, or have some custom ones made. Thing is I dont want the truck lifted AT ALL. The only thing I want is for the truck not to sag when I put things in the bed. Which to be honest isn't all that often.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #16
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
4WD,

What Ford Springs are you using, truck, car?
mine are off of a late '80's early 90's Ranger

Quote:
Yep, your ears musta been burning!

And wear your safety glasses when cutting those things! How are you going to keep posting to TW if you can't see?
Ok,ok, stop slappin' me...

Quote:
So I can find a spring shop (or 4wd on here apparently, lol) that would build me a new set of leaf springs that would have the same load capacity and what not, but not lift the rear at all, and would prevent sagging when loaded?
firmer susp. with no lift ? Keep main leaf, dump everything else & add 2 springs per side off full size 3/4 ton Ford or Chevy truck...
Old 12-22-2011, 06:55 AM   #17
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
And as far as the factory TSB goes , some guys have good success, most don't & end up with what they had (sacked springs) kinda like slapping one POS on top of another...
Old 12-22-2011, 06:57 AM   #18

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have not. I have the 3 leaf pack and my truck doesn't have a warranty, so I figured I could either buy the toyota TSB leaf pack and install it myself, or have some custom ones made. Thing is I dont want the truck lifted AT ALL. The only thing I want is for the truck not to sag when I put things in the bed. Which to be honest isn't all that often.
TSB leafs aren't the greatest either but if you can find them cheap enough, the install isn't bad. To have Alcan make you a custom set of springs would be expensive and would affect your ride. They make springs to your specs such as ride height, daily loading, heavy loading, etc. Air bags will allow you to retain a factory ride and ride height when unloaded, but you can pump them up when you need to tow or haul to prevent squatting. They do not lift the truck and are adjustable to the load you're carrying.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #19
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Heres an example of good results, it doesn't look like much but here are some OEM 2nd gen springs w/TSB (AAL) & 1 heavy Ford spring per side, this set I put together for SoCal member ReCkLeSsTaCo (Matt) who drives his truck harder than most. After about a year of beating the shit out of them they still look like this....

Old 12-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #20
Cybertronian Tacoma

Quote:
TSB leafs aren't the greatest either but if you can find them cheap enough, the install isn't bad. To have Alcan make you a custom set of springs would be expensive and would affect your ride. They make springs to your specs such as ride height, daily loading, heavy loading, etc. Air bags will allow you to retain a factory ride and ride height when unloaded, but you can pump them up when you need to tow or haul to prevent squatting. They do not lift the truck and are adjustable to the load you're carrying.
hmmm. My coworker/friend put these on his 2011 fj cruiser. Seemed easy enough. Maybe I will have to look into those! any recommendations?