Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

What type of suspension do I have??

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
Slappy is on a distinguished road
Slappy's Tacoma Gallery
What type of suspension do I have??

I recently got a 2004 2wd Tacoma. I wanted to level up the front end with Bilstein 5100s.

After the shocks arrive, I take the tire off and notice I don't have coil overs. I thought all Tacomas had coil overs??? So I called store I got shocks from and they said the same.

So I have the regular coil spring set up. Has anyone seen this before? and is there a lift kit I can get to raise the front up about 2/3 inches?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
any pics?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
is it a 5 lug or a prerunner? . . . pics would be swell.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
post a pic
Old 12-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
I recently got a 2004 2wd Tacoma. I wanted to level up the front end with Bilstein 5100s.

After the shocks arrive, I take the tire off and notice I don't have coil overs. I thought all Tacomas had coil overs??? So I called store I got shocks from and they said the same.

So I have the regular coil spring set up. Has anyone seen this before? and is there a lift kit I can get to raise the front up about 2/3 inches?
Take a picture of your front suspension. If it's a coiled spring, then you have coilovers...
Old 12-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You have coilovers. Truck specs would be helpful though.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
Ainokea
RecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
RecklessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Every truck comes with a regular coilspring setup. They call them coil struts! No truck comes with coilovers unless the previous buyer prt them on! The 5100's should work just fine! But yes a pic would be nice
Old 12-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
Slappy's Tacoma Gallery
I am at work now, so cant post a pic, but it is a standard 2 door 2wd truck with 5 lugs. It is not a prerunner.

To explain it a little better, the Top of springs sit in a housing and is not bolted to the top (3 bolts) like regular tacomas or tundras and the bottom of the spring is sitting on the lower control arm. The shock is just a normal shock that is running through the spring and not connected to the spring at all.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessTaco View Post
Every truck comes with a regular coilspring setup. They call them coil struts! No truck comes with coilovers unless the previous buyer prt them on! The 5100's should work just fine! But yes a pic would be nice
Coilover is a suspension type, all the Tacomas come with coilovers. the term coilover is used as a slang if you will on here for an aftermarket adjustable assembly like Icon or Fox. The Tacoma does not have struts, it has shocks (I lost that debate last month ).
Old 12-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
So a 5 lug. Well your only choice of a lift is Fat Bob's or long travel. 5100s are made for 6 lug trucks.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
Slappy's Tacoma Gallery
I changed out my tundras, another 2004 prerunners and this set up does not look anything like those. The bottom of the spring is sitting on the lower arm not attached to a plate that is attached to the shock.

I will try to walk out later and take some pics. The tires are on it now so I dont know good the pics will be
Old 12-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #13
Banned
Quote:
I changed out my tundras, another 2004 prerunners and this set up does not look anything like those. The bottom of the spring is sitting on the lower arm not attached to a plate that is attached to the shock.

I will try to walk out later and take some pics. The tires are on it now so I dont know good the pics will be
Like this?

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...aacs2/comp.pdf
Old 12-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #14
Slappy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post

That's it!!

I guess my options are really limited now
Old 12-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
Slappy's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, I thought I'd find something by now. Fat Bob's suspension is only place I see and it's for 1.5 spacers in the front.

I bought the truck hoping I could at least level the truck out and raise it 2 to 3 inches. It rides like crap. The truck bounces everywhere.

Oh well......
Old 12-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #16
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
pics

Old 12-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #17
Slappy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustylancaster View Post

Do I still need pics? Whippersnaper02 was nice enough to find and post a PDF of the suspension.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #18
Banned
Quote:
Do I still need pics? Whippersnaper02 was nice enough to find and post a PDF of the suspension.
I think he just wanted to use that smiley.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #19
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes we still need pics of the truck.
We also need pics of the wife/girlfriend (for payment)

Old 12-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #20
Slappy's Tacoma Gallery
LMAO

Products Discussed in this Thread