Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

So i'm ready to order, help me decide !

Old 12-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
Snowman20 has a spectacular aura aboutSnowman20 has a spectacular aura aboutSnowman20 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Cody
Snowman20's Tacoma Gallery
So i'm ready to order, help me decide !

okay, so my tires are damn near fried, so i've decided to finally pull the trigger on a lift. my goals are for mainly a smooth ride, quality, and i want to do everything RIGHT. this is my daily and won't see much offroad use besides taking my dirtbike out into the bush. so these are the two lifts ive narrowed it down to.

Option: 1

Bilstein front and rear shocks
ome 885s
wheelers progressive aal

Grand total $660

Option: 2

OME front a rear shocks
ome 885s
dakars leaf set

Grand total $1100

So i guess my real question is, for my needs is it worth it for me to spend the extra $500 on the ome setup? Sound off below and thanks for the help !

Old 12-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
1st one sounds good to me.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Well, if you're looking for comfort, a full leaf pack will give you a better ride than an AAL, especially when loaded
Old 12-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I vote option 1 unless your current leaf pack is already toast. If your current leaf pack is already toast, then the AAL would only be a band aid in which case I'd suggest option 2.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Well, if you're looking for comfort, a full leaf pack will give you a better ride than an AAL, especially when loaded
I would challenge that when it comes between the Dakars and a stock leaf pack with the progressive AAL. The 3-leaf AAL rides pretty damn smooth and does support weight well.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
GeatWhiteNorth is on a distinguished road

Name: Morgen
GeatWhiteNorth's Tacoma Gallery
another option could be getting a local shop to make you a full leaf pack and combining that with Bilstein and 885's thats what i did and love it, its a little cheaper then going with the full OME package
Old 12-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
Snowman20 has a spectacular aura aboutSnowman20 has a spectacular aura aboutSnowman20 has a spectacular aura about

i think my rear leafs are still good, they only have a 110,000 km's on em. the only thing that goes in the back is the bike, so hauling isn't really an issue. i'm thinking i could probably get away with option one. hell if i don't like how the rear is riding i can only buy the dakars down the road
Old 12-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #8

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman20 View Post
i think my rear leafs are still good, they only have a 110,000 km's on em. the only thing that goes in the back is the bike, so hauling isn't really an issue. i'm thinking i could probably get away with option one. hell if i don't like how the rear is riding i can only buy the dakars down the road
Check your leaf pack and see if the main leaf pack is riding on the overload all the time. Mine sagged in 30,000 miles to the point where the 3 main leafs were being supported by the overload leaf at all times. If this is the case with yours, I'd get a new leaf pack.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
sounds like you answered your question.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I would challenge that when it comes between the Dakars and a stock leaf pack with the progressive AAL. The 3-leaf AAL rides pretty damn smooth and does support weight well.
That's my bad on the OP misread. I unfortunately have no experience with the wheelers progressive one, though I do know that a new leaf pack makes a world of a difference from a worn out stock pack. I bought my truck with 75k mi on the odo and ot has been a sad face since (soon to be putting a new pack on my truck).
Old 12-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #11

i just went out and looked at my leaf pack, and the main leaf isn't being supported by the overload, so i guess im good? option one it is. thanks dudes ill post some pics when i get everything installed and lookin purdy . oh and i'm going with the wheelers steelies 16inch with 4inch backspacing and bfg a/ts 285/75/16. maybe with the cash i saved i'll upgrade the stereo too haha.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
If you go with option one go with OME shocks instead of the Bilsteins. Just my .02
Old 01-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #13

I ended up going with the full ome setup with dakars. I also picked up wheelers steelies and 285/75/16 duratracs
Old 01-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #14
Banff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
Banff2007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I ended up going with the full ome setup with dakars. I also picked up wheelers steelies and 285/75/16 duratracs
I just installed the same setup and love it. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:17 AM   #15
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
I went with all OME shocks with 885s and the Wheelers 3Pack a couple years ago. I've got a Dakar leaf pack and ALl Pro UBolt flip kit in my garage right now to be installed.

I offroad more than it sounds like you do- so that was alot of my motivation, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with Option 1.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:54 AM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Damn... I'm jealous