Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Will Tundra coils fit the Tacoma?

Old 12-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
sportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sportsterchop200's Tacoma Gallery
Will Tundra coils fit the Tacoma?

I have read that coils from a Tundra are interchangeable with the Tacoma. Is this true? I am looking to add a small lift to my truck 1.5-2". I want to run 265/75-16. Also, are the rear springs interchangable? My truck is an 03 extra cab 4x4 with the TRD package. My other consideration is for the OME 880 or 881 front coils. I am looking for the cheepest way to get a small lift and level the truck. There is currently about a 1" difference between the rear and front. Thanks in advance for any information.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:13 AM   #2
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterchop200 View Post
I have read that coils from a Tundra are interchangeable with the Tacoma. Is this true? I am looking to add a small lift to my truck 1.5-2". I want to run 265/75-16. Also, are the rear springs interchangable? My truck is an 03 extra cab 4x4 with the TRD package. My other consideration is for the OME 880 or 881 front coils. I am looking for the cheepest way to get a small lift and level the truck. There is currently about a 1" difference between the rear and front. Thanks in advance for any information.

Pretty sure 1st gen Tundra coils will work with 1st gen Tacomas but unless you go spacer or body lift you'll need to change your front struts to something longer , you'd probably destroy the stockers
Old 12-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
sportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yeah I'm planning to replace the shocks whenever I change the springs out. My truck has 85K on it. However, it came from Ohio and the underside has a lot of corrosion that needs to be cleaned up. My idea was to put the 5100's on it with a clean set of Tundra coils and leafs. I am looking to gain lift from the springs not the struts. Any additional information is appreciated.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
SCRunner12's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah Tundra coils will work with your Tacoma. I have them on my 4runner with Tundra 5100's. The ride is great and it's nice to have the adjustability. Just set the 5100's at the lowest setting and the coils will give you ~2" lift. You have to make sure you get Tundra TRD 4wd coils. They will have a two yellow dots on one and a yellow and blue dot on the other.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
I am looking to gain lift from the springs not the struts.

Exactly why you need upgraded struts to accomodate longer coils...

For the record I'm running adjustable 5100's for a 1st gen Tundra (5 settings instead of the usual 3)

For the rear I'd add a couple leafs (no AAL) from a Ford or Chevy, it'll give you up to 3" in rear
Old 12-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah I'm planning to replace the shocks whenever I change the springs out. My truck has 85K on it. However, it came from Ohio and the underside has a lot of corrosion that needs to be cleaned up. My idea was to put the 5100's on it with a clean set of Tundra coils and leafs. I am looking to gain lift from the springs not the struts. Any additional information is appreciated.
ya know they(toyota)will bye it back if the frame is too rusty.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
ya know they(toyota)will bye it back if the frame is too rusty.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this is true , I forgot to mention that

Check into it OP, schedule a frame check if possible...
Old 12-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
I read about the buy back program somewhere. I even contacted Toyota. I was informed that my vin and year was not elligable for the recall.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I read about the buy back program somewhere. I even contacted Toyota. I was informed that my vin and year was not elligable for the recall.
oh wow..........thats the first i heard that on the first gens.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
Yeah, I was told that the recall only goes up to the year 2000, I have a 2003. However from what I have seen I am pretty sure that I can clean it up with a wire brush and some paint or undercoat. However, in regards to the lift I should look for a 00-06 Tundra TRD 4x4 for the coils.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
SCRunner12's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah 00-06 Tundra TRD 4x4 coils and most likely from a access cab. They are bit tough to find, but you should be able to get them for around $75-150.