Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Quick disconnect sway bar

Old 11-18-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
Polowhitfoot is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1/1 and 3/5
Polowhitfoot's Tacoma Gallery
Quick disconnect sway bar

Anyone have any comments about a 'quick-disconnect' sway bar for offroading? A friend recommended I could do this to improve off-roading capabilities, but in my quick search I have not found much.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
Wish i was wheelin
TengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TengoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I am really just posting this to get it in my subscribed threads, I want to know more about this.

I could be wrong but... The only thing i have heard of the quick release sway bars was on jeeps. Because they have solid axles up front....
Old 11-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt they're available anymore... (laugh)

But I had a set of "Nuke's Disconnects" on my 96 tacoma. They were pretty cool.
Nuke (Mark Stubble TTORA Staff/CEO) used to make 'em but sold the design and I did a quick search and can't find that anyone sells 'em.
Here's what they look like for the 1st gens.

Here's a write-up - you can read and adapt to make your own.
http://www.larsdennert.com/4runner/swaybar
Old 11-18-2008, 11:52 PM   #5
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

Nuke (Mark Stubble TTORA Staff/CEO) used to make 'em but sold the design and I did a quick search and can't find that anyone sells 'em.

hey janster, link's a dud PS. Happy Birthday
Old 11-19-2008, 12:09 AM   #6
Polowhitfoot is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1/1 and 3/5
Polowhitfoot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
hey janster, link's a dud PS. Happy Birthday

I tried opening in another tab and got the same thing. Then went back to click again and it worked.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

pretty sure nuke aint making them anymore...but i found some awhile back...i'll have to look in my bookmarks

at the time i thought it to be pretty simple so one could possibly make their own
Old 11-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
quick-release sway bar = really fast with a socket wrench and a 12mm socket... Or is it 14mm?
Thats the best disco I know of for the second gens. Other than just removeing it all together.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/ar....jsp?id=186222
http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/sway-bar.htm

both these links detail whats involved in a sway bar quick disco...however the sizes are designed for earlier toyotas...but i dont see why it wouldnt be adaptable to a newer model
Old 11-23-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

another link on how to DIY
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/larsdenne...bar/build.html
Old 11-23-2008, 08:00 PM   #12
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
Just bolt it off the day before you go wheeling....Bolt it back on when you are done...
X2. Gives you the chance to see if there are any critters stuck to the bottom of your truck. Or, check for any damage that has occured from wheeling.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #13
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

FWIW i unbolted mine and just went ahead and removed it...havent looked back since...

i notice very LITTLE change in on road driving...but i havent had to make any serious evasive maneuvers in the truck as of yet...and i've had it off for the better part of 6 months...possibly more...i honestly dont remember when i did my suspension work
Old 11-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #14
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yeah, i think if you go over a 3" lift, say to maybe 6", then the sway bar being disconnected will be noticeable but if the truck isnt lifted a bunch then its probably fine for on road handling. i know some friends that have done it and they dont regret it. i'd be curious to see how much it really helps on the IFS though.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:13 PM   #15

Quote:
yeah, i think if you go over a 3" lift, say to maybe 6", then the sway bar being disconnected will be noticeable but if the truck isnt lifted a bunch then its probably fine for on road handling. i know some friends that have done it and they dont regret it. i'd be curious to see how much it really helps on the IFS though.
Helps a TON! Improves flex significantly.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:16 PM   #16
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
x2

keeps me from getting tippy quite so quickly
Old 11-23-2008, 08:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
i may have to experiment with this then. so now for a question, can i just remove one side of the sway bar end links from the LCA or spindle(or wherever it bolts up, cant quite recall) rather than removing the entire sway bar to test it out. im just curious because it would be 1 bolt that way versus 6 and removing the skid plate to pull the whole sway bar out.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #18
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
i may have to experiment with this then. so now for a question, can i just remove one side of the sway bar end links from the LCA or spindle(or wherever it bolts up, cant quite recall) rather than removing the entire sway bar to test it out. im just curious because it would be 1 bolt that way versus 6 and removing the skid plate to pull the whole sway bar out.
you should be able to remove 2 bolts and have it disco-ed from both sides
Old 11-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
yeah but if i disconnect both sides wont it just be hanging/swinging there when im wheeling? I wouldnt want it to get in the way and bound up with something
Old 11-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
X2