Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

rear alignment

Old 11-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
rear alignment

anyone heard of the rear being out of alignment on these trucks? the firestone place said my rear end was WAY outta wack. asked if i had been hit in the rear or taken a nasty smack to it. said i may need to see a frame shop or even the dealer. it drives and looks completely fine. i didnt take any hits to it this weekend and there's no places of even rubbing under there. i may wait until i get the front coilovers and the 3" rear leaf pack to have them do it again. just odd
Old 11-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard that the rear can get out of alignment, but I've never heard of anyone having problems with their Tacomas. I think it is time for a second opinion.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
The only vehicles I've ever known to get rear-end allignments are those with IRS (Independent Rear Suspension). Solid axles don't have anything to adjust in terms of toe/caster/camber.

Unless they're looking at the relation of the axle to the frame being *square* or within spec. If your frame was tweaked, that would affect the axle placement (and/or bent axle tube would also).

But highly unlikely if the vehicle hasnt' had any accidents.

I'd definately get a second oppinion. Play like a stupid consumer....and take it to the Toyota Dealer and ask them to check the allignment under warrantee. Tell them - "This other shop told me my frame was bent"
Old 11-19-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah i would get a second opinion, or like you said wait for that lift.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Since there is probably nothing to adjust, did they try to give you a quote on an alingment?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
hell yes i love my truck
MsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Samantha
MsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
a week after i bought my truck i went in for an alignment and they told me the same thing. i knew it had been in an accident so they figured it got smashed pretty good. they said instead of the axle sitting straight it was diagonal, kinda hard to explain. but it needed a $300 part to fix before they could do the alignment. i called the dealer i bought it from and they got it fixed for me and now its driving fine.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
Since there is probably nothing to adjust, did they try to give you a quote on an alingment?
nope. i've got the lifetime alignment from them, so they're all free

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTrd View Post
a week after i bought my truck i went in for an alignment and they told me the same thing. i knew it had been in an accident so they figured it got smashed pretty good. they said instead of the axle sitting straight it was diagonal, kinda hard to explain. but it needed a $300 part to fix before they could do the alignment. i called the dealer i bought it from and they got it fixed for me and now its driving fine.
this one is an 09 thats only 3 months old, so definately not from an accident, but i can take it to the dealer and see whats up...and happy b-day, hotness...lol
Old 11-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
hell yes i love my truck
MsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Samantha
MsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
this one is an 09 thats only 3 months old, so definately not from an accident, but i can take it to the dealer and see whats up...and happy b-day, hotness...lol
oh yeah i guess i should have looked at what year your truck is. hopefully the dealer will take care of you! and thank you
Old 11-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #9
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
I have never head of a rear alignment problem. Not gonna lie that doesnt even make sense. IFS makes sense being not aligned but with a solid axel in the rear how could it be out of alignment??
Old 11-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Bluez View Post
I have never head of a rear alignment problem. Not gonna lie that doesnt even make sense. IFS makes sense being not aligned but with a solid axel in the rear how could it be out of alignment??
Bend the frame, bend the Leaf spring mounts, etc.....Anything that screws up the mounting of the axel can cause it to be out of alignment.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #11
NorCal Rock Whore
Killer Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Whatsurname
Killer Red Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Hell all you got to do is get the hot wrench and then beat it square, a good redneck should be able to do this. LMAO

but the sound either fishy or the factory screwed it up.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #12
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
apparently, there were a few problems with the 06 i had, and the rear being out of alignment alot. and everytime i got an alignment at the stealership....they charged me for a 4 wheel alignment. i wasnt aware that you could align a solid axle...........other than it being off from you replacing the springs or being in a wreck.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
apparently, there were a few problems with the 06 i had, and the rear being out of alignment alot. and everytime i got an alignment at the stealership....they charged me for a 4 wheel alignment. i wasnt aware that you could align a solid axle...........other than it being off from you replacing the springs or being in a wreck.
What exactly was 'out of allignment' in the rear? Did they give you a spec sheet with data on it? They probably told you that they gave you a 4 wheel allignment but you only actually got 2wheel allignment.

You really can't allign a rear solid axle. They can 'check' the overall placement of the axles in relation to the frame - but if something is *out of allignment* (as they call it) means there's something wrong with the frame, suspension, suspension mounts, or axle itself. There's nothing that can be adjusted for camber, caster, or toe.

Changing springs in the rear doesn't change the allignment of the axle to the frame unless the springs are twisted or messed up to begin with.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #14
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
What exactly was 'out of allignment' in the rear? Did they give you a spec sheet with data on it? They probably told you that they gave you a 4 wheel allignment but you only actually got 2wheel allignment.

You really can't allign a rear solid axle. They can 'check' the overall placement of the axles in relation to the frame - but if something is *out of allignment* (as they call it) means there's something wrong with the frame, suspension, suspension mounts, or axle itself. There's nothing that can be adjusted for camber, caster, or toe.

Changing springs in the rear doesn't change the allignment of the axle to the frame unless the springs are twisted or messed up to begin with.
yeah...i know. i was kinda being a smartass. they charged me for a 4 wheel alignment every time i got an alignment done there.