Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

ToughCountry 5" lift install problems

Old 12-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
foxgtr22 is on a distinguished road
foxgtr22's Tacoma Gallery
ToughCountry 5" lift install problems

hey everyone! im in the process of installing this lift on my 2004 ext cab 4x4 tacoma. I have read and searched alot but i still have questions. i really need to get this lift finished soon, and i keep running into problems. ive already been working on it on and off for a few days now.

first problem i had was a stuck cam bolt sleeve on the passenger side lower arm bolt. i ended up just cutting both sides so i could remove the arm. now i have to somehow press it out or drill it out. i already purchased a new one from the dealer.

the biggest problem though ( like everyone else that installed the lift ) has been with rack and pinion high pressure lines hitting. ive cut and cut and cut and its still hitting. its not actually the line but the nut that connects it. so my question is if i leave it touching, will i run into problems down the road with it leaking or anything?

and how important is the metal sleeve that goes inside the bushing for the driver side R&P mount?? the metal sleeve they supplied looks to big around and a hair to long. would it cause any problems if i didnt use it? besides it squishin and not torquing right?

Old 12-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
the 3rd pic shows how it is now.... i put it togethor without the sleeve for the time bein. would it hurt to use the old bushing that has the old sleeve still in it?
Old 12-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #3

where does this part go??
Old 12-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
SSS
oneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: SSS
oneBIGroom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxgtr22 View Post

Maybe a BPV (Brake Proportioning Valve) Should have 2 holes on each end though if it is.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

My guess is that goes on the driver side of the axle to space up the brake lines in order to prevent them from being pulled apart/stretched when the suspension droops.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
If that's part number 54900-12 then it's driver's side emergency brake cable extension bracket.

I believe that your instructions download is on this page :
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...con/54900.html
Scroll to Tech Specs, the PDF is on the right
Old 12-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
thanks, yeah i overlooked it on the manual. its the new rear emergency brake cable extension bracket.

any opinions on the high pressure line? i hate to cut anymore than i already have.. and i even took the line loose and bent the fitting like i had read another person had done.. its hitting the nut, not the line.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thanks, yeah i overlooked it on the manual. its the new rear emergency brake cable extension bracket.

any opinions on the high pressure line? i hate to cut anymore than i already have.. and i even took the line loose and bent the fitting like i had read another person had done.. its hitting the nut, not the line.
I can't see enough of what's going on to comment on the line issue other than I would want it to be serviceable and not trapped by the new crossmember or something.

You can have high pressure hoses made up custom with various fittings at a hose shop. They might have a fitting that would get you out of the woods.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:00 AM   #9
after some drilling i finally got the sleeve in the bushing. gonna mess with the fitment issue with the lines some more tom
Old 12-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #10
yeah man, i got it all togethor early last week. i'll have to post a pic soon. right now all i have is crappy blackberry pic. as far as the lift so far i couldnt be happier.. i love the way it came out. ride is decent, even with the blocks in the back. guy at the shop said it was not a problem getting it aligned, where as my previous tacoma with a 3" toytec/ome lift he always said it was a bit** to get aligned. and not too much loss in power with the 295s. btw what pressure are u runnin in your 295/70/17's ? they put 46psi in them when i got them mounted, i dropped it to 41psi and im still not wearing even. il prolly try around 36-38 psi next.