Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Need Advice on rear shocks for 4" lift

Old 12-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Need Advice on rear shocks for 4" lift

Current Set up

Front: 5100's and 886's with ARB, bout 2.75-3" of lift
Rear: 2" blocks and stock SR5 shocks

I want to bump up everything to about 4", so i was thinking about OME's little spacer plates for up front, and maybe some rear 4" blocks temporarily (until i get a leaf pack this summer) in the back. What rear shocks would function well with 4" blocks? i was looking at OME N182's but wasn't sure if they're made for that much lift. I'm also not looking to break my bank on these shocks.

edit: i'll probably keep the 2"blocks and put a 2" aal
Old 12-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Front end won't go above three inches.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda View Post
Current Set up

Front: 5100's and 886's with ARB, bout 2.75-3" of lift
Rear: 2" blocks and stock SR5 shocks

I want to bump up everything to about 4", so i was thinking about OME's little spacer plates for up front, and maybe some rear 4" blocks temporarily (until i get a leaf pack this summer) in the back. What rear shocks would function well with 4" blocks? i was looking at OME N182's but wasn't sure if they're made for that much lift. I'm also not looking to break my bank on these shocks.
Bilstein 5125s come in custom lengths for the rear. Check them out at downsouthmotorsports.com

It's not recommended that you go over 3" of lift in the front.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
Front end won't go above three inches.
It will go above 3", many guys running close to 3.5" of lift....it is highly NOT recommened but can be done.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
It will go above 3", many guys running close to 3.5" of lift....it is highly NOT recommened but can be done.
I believe I lift the word "properly" out.

Running 4 inches with a factory IFS isn't going to wear well.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I believe I lift the word "properly" out.

Running 4 inches with a factory IFS isn't going to wear well.
There we go

I realized what you were saying just wanted to be a butthead lol
Old 12-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
Whyareyoureadingthis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
There we go

I realized what you were saying just wanted to be a butthead lol
The only way I've managed to get mine above 3.5 is add more tension on my torsion bars and plasti-dipped the cv boots. It works great.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
Sje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate
Name: Sean
Sje1124's Tacoma Gallery
I got close to 3.75 up front with the 885's and top plate spacer....but now it settled to closer to 3.25
Old 12-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aw yeah...wasnt thinking about the steep angles and all that, now i'll most likely go with the dakars and N182's just to get rid of the bro lean and crappy ride
Old 12-11-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
Go Pro Junkie

which spacer plate did you go with sean?
Old 12-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
Sje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate
Name: Sean
Sje1124's Tacoma Gallery
the 1/2 inch spacer from toytec, it was a option to add the top plate spacer when buying the complete kit
Old 12-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #13
Go Pro Junkie

oh gotcha, i was looking at the OME 13mm (3/4-7/8") plate, i figured it'd be alright
Old 12-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #14
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
See B110 :
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoadjbils.htm

Agree with the others on pushing beyond 3"
Half-shaft troubles await.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #15
Go Pro Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
See B110 :
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoadjbils.htm

Agree with the others on pushing beyond 3"
Half-shaft troubles await.
wow thanks man i was just on wheelers, would it make a difference with the lift if i said my truck was a pre runner like would it be okay to go up to about 4"?
Old 12-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #16
Almost there

no it wont because you will have 0 downtravel. if you really wan to do 4" your going to have to fork over 1k for Camburg spindles
Old 12-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #17
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
If you've got a prerunner at least you dont have to worry about cv angles. Just UCA ball joints(you better get aftermarket UCAs if you dont have them already), and steering component wear from the steep angles. But you still wont have down travel with 4" of lift cranked...
But if you want more lift... 4" lift Spindles?
Old 12-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #18
Go Pro Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
If you've got a prerunner at least you dont have to worry about cv angles. Just UCA ball joints(you better get aftermarket UCAs if you dont have them already), and steering component wear from the steep angles. But you still wont have down travel with 4" of lift cranked...
But if you want more lift... 4" lift Spindles?
yeah i've looked at spindles, I'm just not looking to spend that much money right now is all, i'll probably keep the front like it is and just bump the rear up to 3, for now
Old 12-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #19
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The only way I've managed to get mine above 3.5 is add more tension on my torsion bars and plasti-dipped the cv boots. It works great.
Torsion bars?
Old 12-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #20
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Torsion bars?
older toyota trucks use torsion bars yes! IIRC up till '95 is when they used them