Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Safety Freak Parent Help!!!

Old 12-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
UNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Weston
UNDEAD1153's Tacoma Gallery
Safety Freak Parent Help!!!

Hey guys, so I finally convinced my parents into letting me get a lift and tires for Christmas. My problem is they (MY MOM) are extremely protective when it comes to car safety...., which can be a good thing to an extent. Today I went down to a local guy that does lifts and tires, mostly for the Jeep dealership across the street, and got a quote. He quoted me $550 for a spacer lift and block installed (I know everyone on here hates the spacer lifts but I dont do any off roading and most of my buddies that have them seem to like them so Im going with that, and yes I will eventually upgrade to the suspension lift in the future). He also said he can get me Mickey Thompson MTZ tires for $1000 even. My parents want me to get a written quote (duh...), a warranty from him, and a warranty from Rough Country (the lift he'll be using). So my question is, is there anything else I need to get from him and is there anything I can pull off the internet to show my parents that a 3" lift is not that unsafe as well as the tires having a decent on road capability?
Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
New UCAs maybe
Old 12-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
I thought lifts increase your chance of roll overs
Old 12-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
Dang liberals.
tacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomaprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat View Post
I thought lifts increase your chance of roll overs
Yup, they do raise your center of gravity. Wheel spacers can help with this.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
that spacer lift can cause breakage of the shocks like so

Old 12-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ Even without mobbing the dez?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
As far as safety, there aint much that you'll find. Lifts (especially spacer lifts) have their downsides...

tires, you can always pull the "i'll get better grip in the "just in case" situations!"
Old 12-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
UNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys for the responses and he apparently mentioned to my dad the wheel spacers (considering the spidertrax) but he never mentioned them to me, he actually told me that i probably didnt need them? And yes i know that they "can" increase the chance of roll over but Im not going to try anything stupid like taking a corner fast

HA! Roll....."Words"
Old 12-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
“Why are most spacer lifts be bad”? Well spacer lifts can cause a few problems and cost you big dollars to fix. First there are a few different kinds of spacer lifts, there is the kind that just bolts on the top of the existing shock that spaces it down to give lift. The problem that can come from running this kind of spacer is the shock will now be allowed to droop to far downward causing binding and damage to ball joints, 4×4 axle cv’s, and steering joints. The other issue you might have is since the shock is now just pushed down when you bottom out the suspension on or off-road instead of hitting the bumpstops you will just bottom out the shock. This can lead to some hefty damage. The next kind of spacer lift available are the preload spacers. These will usually cause the coil springs to be preloaded to give lift. The side effect to this type of lift is the shock valving is not designed for the extra preload of the spring giving the ride a bad bouncy feel that sometimes feels uncontrolled. And in some cases we have seen the spring coilbind causing damage to the shock and the frame. This is because the spring is designed to move about 1/2 its total length so when you pre-load them they are now compressed to much so near bottom out they will bind before you hit the bumpstops.

Here are some pictures of some of the damage you can see with spacer lifts.
http://www.camburg.com/toyota/00-06-...y-spacer-lift/
Old 12-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
^^^ Even without mobbing the dez?
Yeah, the spacer essentially makes the bumpstop useless so the shocks take the force. a big speed bump can easily bottom the stock suspension out.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Spidertrax.......another can o worms, many opinions about increased wear
more leverage on the wheel bearings = more wear.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #12
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
^^^ I know, and agree......I will not use em.

Just all kinds of arguments about em on here and I was just leaving the post as vague and none argumenative as possible.
understandable, but you can't argue with physics
Old 12-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Yeah, the spacer essentially makes the bumpstop useless so the shocks take the force. a big speed bump can easily bottom the stock suspension out.
Werd. I did teh research here and got the 5100's.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #14
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
In the overall scheme of things there are plenty of people whom are running spacers with no problems. As long as you arn't planning on trying to blast down unmainted roads or jump the truck you will be fine. The biggest saftey issue i feel would be having the parts installed sub par. If a reputable shop is doing the work i would go for it if its what your looking for.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #15

Yes.....I know about all of the "they will snap a shock and whatnot"....Ive been through just about every thread on suspension on this site about 3 times and I can tell most people are strongly against them but right now Im not in the place to spend a grand on a lift alone, when I start workin again this summer things might be different but at the moment Im going with the spacer lift....sorry to disappoint
Old 12-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #16
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #17
Banned
4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
4x4jeep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDEAD1153 View Post
Yes.....I know about all of the "they will snap a shock and whatnot"....Ive been through just about every thread on suspension on this site about 3 times and I can tell most people are strongly against them but right now Im not in the place to spend a grand on a lift alone, when I start workin again this summer things might be different but at the moment Im going with the spacer lift....sorry to disappoint
I have the toytec spacer lift with aal in the rear and love it. Don't offroad with this truck so just for looks. It rides great and have not had an problems
Old 12-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #18
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
dooooontttt geeeeetttt theeee roughhhhhh countrrrrryyyyy 3 inchhhhh lifffffttt

i have it, rides like shit..
just thought i would through that in.
If i were you, i would just go with billys all around then aal in back. You can probably get all of that for the price he quoted you, maybe slightly more. But you will think me later.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4jeep View Post
I have the toytec spacer lift with aal in the rear and love it. Don't offroad with this truck so just for looks. It rides great and have not had an problems
Thanks for the positive input!
And I was going with the billies in the first place but then I got down to it and just to get a level 3inch lift, it was $1000 cause you spend $300 up front then its $100 here, $50 there, and that doesnt work with out this which is $400....so im really just trying to get a good lift (CHEAP!) so I can fit 285/75/16 Mickey Thompson MTZ tires on and look good, its a brand new truck and im not going to be off roading anytime soon, mainly just for looks
Old 12-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #20
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Or just save your cash for a SC Lifts...pffts who needs them

Oh i need to get rid of my spacers