Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100's Riding terrible (help)!!

Old 12-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
Cajun1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brooks
Cajun1's Tacoma Gallery
5100's Riding terrible (help)!!

I have recently replaced my Coil over spacers with 5100 set at 1.75" and i find that the ride has stiffened up tremendously. Which i do not like...so after doing research on TW i found that preloading my springs is the reason for the stiff ride!!! So my Alternative is to get new Spring. I was thinking about the OME 885 so that i can still get 2in of lift with my 5100 set to 0...

First of all would this be a solution to my stiff ride?

Or should i go with OME 884 or Eibach springs?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
you would have more than 2 inches of lift with the new coils
Old 12-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Pics of spring perch?

Sure its not upside down?

I can't see what model u have (on phone).

Eibachs will net u 1.6-2" of lift on a 2nd gen, 3 on a 1st gen

Again, pics of ur spring perch would be extremely beneficial.
really? only 1.5-2" for second gens?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Do you still have stock coils and were you replacing stock shocks? If so then yeah your ride stiffened up, 885's will probably make it stiffer.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced my stock shocks with 5100's (kept the same springs), and noticed the ride was stiffer, but it also took away the sickening body roll in the front, fair trade i say
Old 12-12-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
Cajun1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pics of spring perch?

Sure its not upside down?

I can't see what model u have (on phone).

Eibachs will net u 1.6-2" of lift on a 2nd gen, 3 on a 1st gen

Again, pics of ur spring perch would be extremely beneficial.

It's an SR5

I dont have a picture but i read a thread on here were that guy put them upside down and im positive i didnt, I did it just like the stock shocks were facing... and i do have stock coils...the ride is almost 50% stiffer than what my spacers offered!!
Old 12-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
What spacers did you have on there before? Revtek? Toytec? Were the spacers on the top plate or on the coil?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #8
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
I replaced my stock shocks with 5100's (kept the same springs), and noticed the ride was stiffer, but it also took away the sickening body roll in the front, fair trade i say
So you've arrived at a predictable result.
In your first set up your springs were not preloaded. Now they are preloaded.

And if your springs are a progressive type, you may have blown through the 1st stage with the preload which would further degrade ride quality.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun1 View Post
I have recently replaced my Coil over spacers with 5100 set at 1.75" and i find that the ride has stiffened up tremendously. Which i do not like...so after doing research on TW i found that preloading my springs is the reason for the stiff ride!!! So my Alternative is to get new Spring. I was thinking about the OME 885 so that i can still get 2in of lift with my 5100 set to 0...

First of all would this be a solution to my stiff ride?

Or should i go with OME 884 or Eibach springs?
FYI , I got 2 1/2" of lift from my 885's on my DCLB 4x4
Old 12-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #10
Cajun1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Then I guess ur off to buying new coils and not preloading them. Bummer, I was afraid of this happening to me if I just ran 5100's.

Can't complain 1 bit with my bachs and 5100s at "0"

would u say with the Eribach and 5100s at 0 it is about stock ride quality?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #11
Cajun1's Tacoma Gallery
or should i just set 5100's at 0'' with stock coils an put the spacers back..(which i dont really want to use spacers b/c the Negative things i've been reading on TW about spacers)

never the less my main goal is to be (level/little bit nose high) with a very good ride quality due to every road in Louisiana being absolutely horrible!!!!
Old 12-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #12
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun1 View Post
would u say with the Eribach and 5100s at 0 it is about stock ride quality?
Someone that knows the exact spring ratings please chime in, I'm going to guess.

stock spring = 550#
885________= 590 #
Eibach_____= 620#
Old 12-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #13
Cajun1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No, its better.

Rlly, I went from trd offroad suspension to eibach/5100, toytec aal, and rear 5100.

Smoother over speedbumps, better cornering, better load handling.

Speedbumps average is about 30-35mph with no discomfort.

Even when my girl drove it, she said it was a much better ride.

sent from non i-phone 3

well having you said that....i think this might be my next buy...Eibach...thanks

oh an i just went take a picture of my perch but dont know how to post it...but just for shits an giggles i wanted you to look to make sure i did them right
Old 12-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #15
Cajun1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
Someone that knows the exact spring ratings please chime in, I'm going to guess.

stock spring = 550#
885________= 590 #
Eibach_____= 660#

not too sure that those numbers mean!
Old 12-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #16
Cajun1's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #17
Cajun1's Tacoma Gallery
are they correct?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:57 PM   #18
Cajun1's Tacoma Gallery
so would a spring rate of a higher value yeild a smoother ride?? or a Lesser value?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:59 PM   #19

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Spring rates....

I know for a fact that eibachs are 620lbs. But LINEAR

sent from non i-phone 3
OK, I'll change that, thanks.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #20
Cajun1's Tacoma Gallery
are the perch the right way?