LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Self-Install 5100's?

View Poll Results: Install the 5100's on my own or pay a shop?
Install with a friend 110 78.57%
No, you are mechanically retarded (won't be offended) 30 21.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
Ask me about the shortbus...
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Self-Install 5100's?

I am debating whether when I order my 5100's to install them myself. I want to but I really don't want to screw up. Just convince me one way or the other. I have done a few things on my own like debadge the truck and halo lights but I still don't know if I am ready to take this on. Answer the question as if it was your truck please.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Get the springs mounted on the shock by a local shop and do the rest yourself. Its not bad, just depends on how wrench savvy you are. but In the end I always want to do installs myself.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Get the springs mounted on the shock by a local shop and do the rest yourself. Its not bad, just depends on how wrench savvy you are. but In the end I always want to do installs myself.
+1! Don't try to compress the springs yourself. Take it to a shop - minimal cost (cost me $40). But, the rest you can do yourself. It's super simple!

You just need a way to get to/from the shop to get your springs compressed since you won't be able to drive without your front suspension...
Old 11-20-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Didnt have tools or time to install so thats why i had someone install for me
Old 11-20-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
Didnt have tools or time to install so thats why i had someone install for me
That could be a barrier, although you don't really need any specialty tools. I had to get a couple of things, but from memory, you need:

torque bar to break loose some torqued components
torque wrench to re-tourque everything when reassembled
19MM socket for the bottom nut of the strut
21MM socket for the bottom bolt of the strut
14MM socket for the three nuts on the top of the shock tower
12MM socket for the skid plate removal
14MM socket for the swaybar brackets

I think this is all I used. You might need more sizes if you decide to remove/replace the UCAs, but I think these are all I needed. There might have been a 23MM socket needed too, but don't remember...
Old 11-20-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
hsc001 will become famous soon enoughhsc001 will become famous soon enough

hsc001's Tacoma Gallery
dude i put on my toytec lift kit with a freind and it was a pain. If you dont have an impact gun then dont try it. I went a got the rent a tool from advanced to compress the coil springs and it was not a good time.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:27 AM   #7
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

true but i live in an apartment i would get shit if i worked on my truck putting my light bar on raised eyebrows
Old 11-20-2008, 09:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsc001 View Post
dude i put on my toytec lift kit with a freind and it was a pain. If you dont have an impact gun then dont try it. I went a got the rent a tool from advanced to compress the coil springs and it was not a good time.
I guess each person's experience is different. Mine wasn't hard, it just took a long time. About 8 hours, but we goofed off a bit... However, that 8 hours was worth the $200-$300 I saved by having someone else install it (if it could be done that cheap). I also got a set of spring compressors and tried to do that myself, but gave up after about 5 minutes and when the bolts started to bend . So, that I took somewhere to have done.

Quote:
true but i live in an apartment i would get shit if i worked on my truck putting my light bar on raised eyebrows
I also live in an apartment with an underground garage. Luckily, they haven't said anything to me yet - knock on wood.... When I installed my lift, I asked the guy parked next to me if he would park outside that night so I could use both spots. But, the hard (somewhat messy) stuff is done. All I have left to do in my truck is all inside stuff now.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
install them yourself........rear are easy. for the fronts....take the coil assy. out and take it to a shop and get them to swap the shocks out for ya. it'll save you some $$$!
Old 11-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
install the rear yourself, have shop do the front!
Old 11-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #11
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can you use Miramar's Auto Hobby Shop?
Old 11-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #12
Founder Socaltacomas.com

I could of but it was timing was going to ocotillo that weekend school and work kept me busy.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #13
M2M will become famous soon enough

M2M's Tacoma Gallery
my shop did it for 150, including greasing the front and rotating my tires -
I drive 25 - 30 K a year and for me, it's not worth it
to do anything even oil changes myself
Old 11-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #14
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socolax91 View Post
I am debating whether when I order my 5100's to install them myself. I want to but I really don't want to screw up. Just convince me one way or the other. I have done a few things on my own like debadge the truck and halo lights but I still don't know if I am ready to take this on. Answer the question as if it was your truck please.
I asked a similar question in a different thread. As of right now, I'm gonna ask the dealer to install the front shocks (5100s) when they do the rear leaf spring TSB- Mine is a non TRD and the TSB calls for replacing all four shocks. I called and the service manager at Annapolis Toyota and he said it should not be a problem. Hopefully the tech that does the TSB will set the fronts at 1.75" like I want. I would also like to get the 4 Blisteins they provide with the TSB as extras for future use (or ebay)- I wonder if they'd give them to me.

If you haven't had the rear TSB done, you may want to ask the dealer as above. Plus you get a free alignment out of it...
Old 11-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #15
Carolina Alliance
jolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SSgt 6332
Name: Jim
jolayiv's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jolayiv
I say do it yourself. You have to get your hands dirty to call her yours.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:53 PM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolayiv View Post
I say do it yourself. You have to get your hands dirty to call her yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
+1... I feel so much more attached to mine now...
AGREED!
Do it your self. It will give you confidance, and you will be encouraged to tackle other things down the line, saveing you money, and allowing you to do more mods.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
AGREED!
Do it your self. It will give you confidance, and you will be encouraged to tackle other things down the line, saveing you money, and allowing you to do more mods.
As I said in another thread, now that I've done the suspension, I want to start tearing apart a motor, learn how it works and put it back together...

It's addicting!

So, if you don't have a lot of money, then maybe you SHOULD have someone else do it... Probably cheaper than therapy.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:03 PM   #19
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
As I said in another thread, now that I've done the suspension, I want to start tearing apart a motor, learn how it works and put it back together...
Thats how I learned.
Hint: Dont tear apart the motor which is going to be needed to get you to work the next day.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #20
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be doing this myself as well (actually with a brother-in-law who is a mechanic).

How do we know the specs of what to torque everything back down to? Or do you just put a little muscle in to it?