1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Self-Install 5100's?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by NumNutz, Nov 20, 2008.

?

Install the 5100's on my own or pay a shop?

1. Install with a friend

79.2%
  2. No, you are mechanically retarded (won't be offended)

20.8%
  1. Nov 20, 2008 at 8:51 AM
    NumNutz

NumNutz [OP] One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    I am debating whether when I order my 5100's to install them myself. I want to but I really don't want to screw up. Just convince me one way or the other. I have done a few things on my own like debadge the truck and halo lights but I still don't know if I am ready to take this on. Answer the question as if it was your truck please.

2. Nov 20, 2008 at 8:53 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    Get the springs mounted on the shock by a local shop and do the rest yourself. Its not bad, just depends on how wrench savvy you are. but In the end I always want to do installs myself.

3. Nov 20, 2008 at 9:01 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    +1! Don't try to compress the springs yourself. Take it to a shop - minimal cost (cost me $40). But, the rest you can do yourself. It's super simple!

You just need a way to get to/from the shop to get your springs compressed since you won't be able to drive without your front suspension... :eek::)

4. Nov 20, 2008 at 9:01 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Didnt have tools or time to install so thats why i had someone install for me

5. Nov 20, 2008 at 9:09 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    That could be a barrier, although you don't really need any specialty tools. I had to get a couple of things, but from memory, you need:

torque bar to break loose some torqued components
    torque wrench to re-tourque everything when reassembled
    19MM socket for the bottom nut of the strut
    21MM socket for the bottom bolt of the strut
    14MM socket for the three nuts on the top of the shock tower
    12MM socket for the skid plate removal
    14MM socket for the swaybar brackets

I think this is all I used. You might need more sizes if you decide to remove/replace the UCAs, but I think these are all I needed. There might have been a 23MM socket needed too, but don't remember...

6. Nov 20, 2008 at 9:27 AM
    hsc001

hsc001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    laurel, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD off road lifted
    BHLM, 3" toytec coilovers, blacked out billet grille, hella 500's behind grille, volant CAI, Dual flowmasters 40's, HID, DTLT
    dude i put on my toytec lift kit with a freind and it was a pain. If you dont have an impact gun then dont try it. I went a got the rent a tool from advanced to compress the coil springs and it was not a good time.

7. Nov 20, 2008 at 9:27 AM
    SocalMan22

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    true but i live in an apartment i would get shit if i worked on my truck putting my light bar on raised eyebrows

8. Nov 20, 2008 at 9:35 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    I guess each person's experience is different. Mine wasn't hard, it just took a long time. About 8 hours, but we goofed off a bit... However, that 8 hours was worth the $200-$300 I saved by having someone else install it (if it could be done that cheap). I also got a set of spring compressors and tried to do that myself, but gave up after about 5 minutes and when the bolts started to bend :eek:. So, that I took somewhere to have done.

I also live in an apartment with an underground garage. Luckily, they haven't said anything to me yet - knock on wood.... When I installed my lift, I asked the guy parked next to me if he would park outside that night so I could use both spots. But, the hard (somewhat messy) stuff is done. All I have left to do in my truck is all inside stuff now.

9. Nov 20, 2008 at 2:44 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    install them yourself........rear are easy. for the fronts....take the coil assy. out and take it to a shop and get them to swap the shocks out for ya. it'll save you some $$$!

10. Nov 20, 2008 at 3:01 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    install the rear yourself, have shop do the front!

11. Nov 20, 2008 at 4:42 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Can you use Miramar's Auto Hobby Shop?

12. Nov 20, 2008 at 4:45 PM
    SocalMan22

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    I could of but it was timing was going to ocotillo that weekend school and work kept me busy.

13. Nov 20, 2008 at 4:48 PM
    M2M

M2M Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    bilstiens, sport 08 w/o scoop, debadged
    my shop did it for 150, including greasing the front and rotating my tires -
    I drive 25 - 30 K a year and for me, it's not worth it
    to do anything even oil changes myself

14. Nov 20, 2008 at 4:59 PM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    I asked a similar question in a different thread. As of right now, I'm gonna ask the dealer to install the front shocks (5100s) when they do the rear leaf spring TSB- Mine is a non TRD and the TSB calls for replacing all four shocks. I called and the service manager at Annapolis Toyota and he said it should not be a problem. Hopefully the tech that does the TSB will set the fronts at 1.75" like I want. I would also like to get the 4 Blisteins they provide with the TSB as extras for future use (or ebay)- I wonder if they'd give them to me.

If you haven't had the rear TSB done, you may want to ask the dealer as above. Plus you get a free alignment out of it...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Nov 20, 2008 at 5:46 PM
    jolayiv

jolayiv Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hertford NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD 4x4 Off-Road
    Revenge-Fab Sliders, AVS Vent Guards, Rear TSB, Hose clamp MOD, Locker MOD, Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow, Midland Radio, Wilson 1000 antenna, Rear Diff breather MOD, Weathertech liners, Maglite mount, Bed Divider, LEER 100XR, Pop&Lock
    I say do it yourself. You have to get your hands dirty to call her yours.

16. Nov 20, 2008 at 5:49 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    +1... I feel so much more attached to mine now... :)

17. Nov 20, 2008 at 5:53 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    AGREED!
    Do it your self. It will give you confidance, and you will be encouraged to tackle other things down the line, saveing you money, and allowing you to do more mods. :D

18. Nov 20, 2008 at 5:56 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    As I said in another thread, now that I've done the suspension, I want to start tearing apart a motor, learn how it works and put it back together...

It's addicting!

So, if you don't have a lot of money, then maybe you SHOULD have someone else do it... Probably cheaper than therapy. :D

19. Nov 20, 2008 at 6:03 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Thats how I learned. :D
    Hint: Dont tear apart the motor which is going to be needed to get you to work the next day. :eek:

20. Jul 2, 2009 at 8:34 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I'll be doing this myself as well (actually with a brother-in-law who is a mechanic).

How do we know the specs of what to torque everything back down to? Or do you just put a little muscle in to it?

Products Discussed in

To Top