Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

AAL or Blocks

Old 12-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
04PrerunnerDC is on a distinguished road
Name: Bo
04PrerunnerDC's Tacoma Gallery
AAL or Blocks

I am looking into a 3'' lift. Gonna go with toytec spacers up front. Its just what I can afford. No need to tell me I need coil overs or something else that costs 1000 bucks. While I love my truck, I do have other priorities. Not trying to be a jack, just giving info. I need to know if blocks are as good as AAL for the back. I pull a small trailer with 4wheelers now and then. My concern about the AALs is sagging. I dont want my truck to look like its butt is dragging the ground. Level or stock like stance is what I prefer. I do no offroading except maybe dirt roads or light trails once in a blue moon. Nothing my stock suspension couldnt handle. Thanks.

04 Double Cab Prerunner
Old 12-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
so 3" spacers up front? if so, i'd do 1" block and 2" aal, or maybe 2.5" aal with the block if you want to be sure you won't sag, you might have one helluva rake doing that though
Old 12-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04PrerunnerDC View Post
I am looking into a 3'' lift. Gonna go with toytec spacers up front. Its just what I can afford. No need to tell me I need coil overs or something else that costs 1000 bucks.
Bilstein 5100s up front, add a leaf for the rear. Total is ~$260. Just sayin..
Old 12-15-2011, 04:25 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Bilstein 5100s up front, add a leaf for the rear. Total is ~$260. Just sayin..
Pardon my ignorance. I dont understand the 5100 shocks. How do they raise it? what else do I need for front? sorry again kinda new to susp lifts.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:28 AM   #7
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
5100 you can preload them. So they lift the truck.

On 1st gens there are three settings stock, 1.25 or 2.5
Old 12-15-2011, 05:17 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshirts View Post
5100 you can preload them. So they lift the truck.

On 1st gens there are three settings stock, 1.25 or 2.5
x2. 5100's are a great, cost effective way to lift the front of the truck and avoid spacers. Most front shocks for the Tacoma has a fixed bottom coil seat so you only get one ride height from the shocks. The 5100's have settings so you can adjust the ride height from either 0, 1.25" or 2.5" of lift. Setting the coil seat up preloads the coil, giving you lift. It will ride stiffer but 5100's are made to dampen a stiffer coil and do a decent job of it. Lifting this way does not carry all the potential risks associated with using a 3" top plate spacer.

As far as blocks, they can actually cause your leaf pack to wear out quicker because they promote axle wrap. An AAL will eventually sag but not for a while and they'll give you a better ride and support weight better. A block does nothing for towing/hauling.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:20 AM   #9
SSS
oneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: SSS
oneBIGroom's Tacoma Gallery
AAL.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
so 5100s on front with leafs on rear? or could I go 5100 all the way around? Just want the best for what I can afford. What else would I need for install?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so 5100s on front with leafs on rear? or could I go 5100 all the way around? Just want the best for what I can afford. What else would I need for install?
5100's for the rear will improve the ride but they will not provide any lift. They will dampen the leaf pack with the AAL much better than stock shocks though.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #12
firm or soft ride AALs? Any experience with both.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
firm or soft ride AALs? Any experience with both.
I'd only go with the firm ride if hauling and/or towing frequently. If you spend 90% of the time with the bed unloaded, you might not appreciate the ride from a firm AAL. The only AAL I've seen designated as a 'firm' AAL is the one from ProComp or Fabtech (can't remember which). The single AALs from Toytec or Wheelers I don't believe have a choice. I went with the Icon 3 leaf AAL which is a progressive AAL. It's expensive but the ride is great!
Old 12-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #14
what about the eibach springs for 3'' up front? Can i keep stock shocks this way? what all is required to install these?

What I am thinking is eibach springs on front and aal in rear??????????
Do I need shocks for rear?
Old 12-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #15
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Billstein 5100s up front shackle in the rear

Or AAL

Or the ultimate one is BIllies set @ 0 with eibach springs = full 3" of lift

THen yeah AAL

I'll eventually have this setup. You'll possibly have to do billies in the rear (or another shock to compensate) and then also you'll need extended break lines (JLee sells a bracket for this for $25 shipped)
Old 12-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #16
..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
186000mps's Tacoma Gallery
If you add height with a larger leaf kit/AAD your stock shock may be too short, you most likely will need to pop for 5100s in the back as well
Old 12-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #17
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 186000mps View Post
If you add height with a larger leaf kit/AAD your stock shock may be too short, you most likely will need to pop for 5100s in the back as well
or 5125s
Old 12-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #18
sorry but I cant use stock shocks up front with eibachs? Thought toytec website said u could.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #19
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
5100's all around with new coils with rear AAL or new leaf pack
Old 12-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #20
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
sorry but I cant use stock shocks up front with eibachs? Thought toytec website said u could.
You cannot use stock shocks in the rear. You WILL need to get longer ones. Possibly could use stock shocks up front depending on the condition of them and the type and stuffs.