1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Addco verses Hellwig rear anti-sway bar

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by wolftree, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Dec 15, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    wolftree

wolftree [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    I am considering installing a rear anti-sway bar on my Tacoma. Does anyone have experience, imput or thoughts about Hellwig, Addco or any other brand. Hellwigs are running about $220, while Addco is priced around $130. They are nearly equal in size, 3/4 and 7/8 inch.

I have no intention of off roading, my roads are bad enough to make Chevys choke and Dodges dump their lunch. This would be for on road handling.

2. Dec 15, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    What are you trying to accomplish with the rear sway bar? Your info says you have a regular cab 4 cylinder which means short wheel base and relatively light. Unless you want it for hauling, I can't see the addition of a rear sway bar making that much of a difference :notsure:

A rear sway bar will also hinder off road ability by not allowing the rear to articulate so it's probably better that you plan on staying on pavement. I've never heard of Addco but a few members are running Hellwig set ups.

3. Dec 15, 2011 at 3:26 PM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I use my truck as a truck not a toy. I haul building materials and other goods, 1000# of concrete mix, concrete block, lumber, tools and whatever else I need. A regular cab weighs a total of 20# less than an access cab equipped the same. I would like the truck not to lean dangerously(Articulate) under a 1200# load as I go through curves and job site slopes, thus the anti-sway bar.

So my question becomes, is the Hellwig worth the extra expense over the Addco, or is there a third brand out there that is even better performance wise.

4. Dec 15, 2011 at 3:44 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    I am getting the wife to get me the addco one for christmas.

I cannot see the hellwig being any better. Basically a piece of steel bent up, some endlinks, bushing and brackets. Not much you can differ.

I had a 1 1/8 addco on my race car and it made a huge difference on the street and on a launch.

I use my truck the same as you for a hauling vehicle and daily driver. The ass end of these trucks is really loose in corners. I think I am going to tie the frame in a couple of spots too, supposedly after 2008 or 09 they did tie the frame with another cross member.

Best price I could find after shipping.

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/2423-toyota-tacoma-sway-bar.html

Besides the sway bar you might want to upgrade your springs all around if you haul alot on a daily basis since toyota is a joke with the springs they install.

5. Dec 15, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    lj973gm,

That was why I was asking others opinions about the Hellwig and Addco. Both should be spring grade steel, heat treated etc. If the Hellwig was superior to Addco, then it would be worth the extra $100. But their similar size says they are close to the same performance wise.

I upgraded my tires from Dunlops to Michelins after 1300 scary miles and will be pursuing better suspension as well. The Michelins made a tremendous difference. I don't have to change my underwear after driving a curvy road now.

6. Dec 15, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    rtjohnson1964

rtjohnson1964 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Fairbanks, Alaska / work in Shemya Island EAS, Ala
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4X4
    TRD Intake, Banks Exhaust, Extang Tonneau,Weathertech bug deflector and window visors, PopnLock electric tailgate Lock, Viper Smart Start, Wilson Electronics Iphone Booster
    which Michelins did you replace your Dunlops with?? I have been looking into the Michelin LTX MS2 265/70R-17. I have almost used up my Dunlops (yes I agree on that they suck!!!) I am going with the Addco swaybar, I have used there products before and they do the job.

7. Dec 15, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    rtjohnson1964,

I went with the Michelin LTX M/S2 in a 265X70R-16. You will think it is a different truck when you drive off the lot with them. Confidence is the word that comes to mind about the Michelins. On my last Tacoma I ran the Michelin LTX M/S for over 100,00 miles and still had tread left.

8. Dec 16, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    lj973gm

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    I changed out of the dunlops for the hankook atm in the odd ball size of 255/70/17 since I did not want to add weight and kill my mpg but a little large in height.

The 265 width is a little to large for these trucks I feel when you hit snow or a puddle it does not cut through well enough. Seems to have made a honest difference. I agree the wider look and taller sizes always look better but they do have their trade offs.

Michelin does not make that size or else I might have went with them.

Only other easy add on is a x-brace from a prerunner to tighten up the back instead of typical frame ties.

9. Dec 16, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    X-brace is from the X-runner, not a prerunner. Does adding that make a decent difference and is it easy to add?

10. Dec 16, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    lj973gm,

You may be correct about my going wide on my tires. I probably over compensated due to the Dunlop 245X75R-16s being so squirrely in a curve. I nearly lost it more than once before I was able to get rid of them and I wanted lots of rubber on the road. However, the 265X70R-16 is an optional size for Tacoma and gives a near match in height to the 245s so my speedometer is not affected. I got a shade over 24 MPG on a interstate / two lane run. I know the Michelins have a lower rolling resistance than the Dunlops, so I probably equalled out.

Having to replace the Dunlops so soon blew my budget. But, I will be getting the Addco anti-sway bar as soon as I can afford it.

Pugga,

I would reccomend the rear anti-sway bar as a first step, then the X-brace if you want road handling. An anti-sway bar acts to push back plus stiffen, where the brace only stiffens.

11. Dec 16, 2011 at 7:26 PM
    lj973gm

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    I did word that wrong the x-brace is from a xrunner, thanks

As for the sway versus x-brace. The sway you will notice more. I have done both mods to previous vehicles and the sway is more noticeable.

The frame ties/x-brace just make it feel like a united vehicle that is more solid over bumps, various terrains and corners.

Just thought I would throw the x-brace into the mix since it will help for better handling and is not mentioned much.

12. Dec 16, 2011 at 7:42 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I figured it was just a mis-type, I was more curious to know if the X-brace made any difference on a 4x4 or Prerunner. Honestly, after upgrading the suspension, I don't really have much body roll. I went with Eibach coils up front which are very stiff and hold corners well and I've got an AAL in the rear which helps the leafs out. I don't think I'll go with a rear sway bar, overall the truck handles well with the suspension upgrades.

13. Dec 16, 2011 at 8:23 PM
    lj973gm

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    Wife just ordered mine up so I should be able to report a review once it arrives and I get a nice day (chicago area) to install it.

14. Dec 16, 2011 at 11:53 PM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    lj973gm,

Good weather, Chicago? Ok then we will look for your review in July right?

15. Apr 17, 2012 at 11:59 PM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    The Hellwig is fantastic upgrade to handling. I like to explore all the backroads here in NorCal and it drives so much better in the twisty roads. I had it on my previous 2nd gen too. I never heard about the Addco and may have gotten it being so much less expensive. Just the TRD which I wasn't going to pay for. Now got me a Sporty ride.

Products Discussed in

To Top