Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

lowering read by removing a leaf?

Old 12-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
00taco is a jewel in the rough00taco is a jewel in the rough00taco is a jewel in the rough00taco is a jewel in the rough

Name: Casey
00taco's Tacoma Gallery
lowering read by removing a leaf?

i was wondering if any of you guys have had experience removing one of the leafs from the leaf springs in order to drop the read like and inch or so. i dont haul alot of weight and this would level my truck easily. if so, which one would be best to pull out of the four? its on a trd 00 tacoma
Old 12-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
interesting......bump for you.......I have noticed that when I come across a dip in the road the front bounces but the back doesn't. This may even it out. I don't haul anything either. If you do you have to get an alignment to adjust the caster and camber back into specs.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
How many leafs do you have? 3 or 4?

if you have 3 then maybe take the overload leaf out. if you have 4 then take the leaf that is the closest the the overload.

however I dont advise any of this.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Pull your over load tleaf its the upside down one, it will lower it the amount of space it takes up
Old 12-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
Pull your over load tleaf its the upside down one, it will lower it the amount of space it takes up
I'd go with this. I wouldn't remove any of the leafs from the active leaf pack.

Also, an alignment is not required afterwards. You'll only need an alignment if you're messing with the front end.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'd go with this. I wouldn't remove any of the leafs from the active leaf pack.

Also, an alignment is not required afterwards. You'll only need an alignment if you're messing with the front end.
Wrong.....I'm Hunter Certified and went to school for this. If the rear moves up or down the caster gets moved either positive or negative and adjustment of the lower control arm is needed to retain steerabilty.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #7
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
lol there is no control arm on the rear, its not a jeep.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:28 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brelandt View Post
Wrong.....I'm Hunter Certified and went to school for this. If the rear moves up or down the caster gets moved either positive or negative and adjustment of the lower control arm is needed to retain steerabilty.
OK... I will agree that the castor will be minorly impacted by removing or adding a leaf in the rear. That does not mean you'll need an alignment. Plenty of people put AAL's on their trucks and don't go for an alignment. Going up would be more of a concern because you'll be reducing the castor, potentially causing more of that wandering feeling. Going down (removing a leaf), you'll be increasing castor so what's the problem? Castor does not affect tire wear so unless you feel like it's not handling properly after removing or adding a leaf, getting an alignment is a waste of money. I'm not Hunter Certified
Old 12-22-2011, 05:37 AM   #9
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OK... I will agree that the castor will be minorly impacted by removing or adding a leaf in the rear. That does not mean you'll need an alignment. Plenty of people put AAL's on their trucks and don't go for an alignment. Going up would be more of a concern because you'll be reducing the castor, potentially causing more of that wandering feeling. Going down (removing a leaf), you'll be increasing castor so what's the problem? Castor does not affect tire wear so unless you feel like it's not handling properly after removing or adding a leaf, getting an alignment is a waste of money. I'm not Hunter Certified
For those who would like to enhance their understanding: http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html
Old 12-22-2011, 07:16 AM   #10
Air Force:
increase castor will cause a harsher ride and castor roll will increase which does cause wear. Also if there is a lean to one side you will have more castor on one side over the other and cause a pull.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #11
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

To add to this, if that slight of movement mattered then I would have to align my truck everytime I put a load in it?

Also my caster is in the red and has been for about 20k miles since I went LT. My tires look fine