Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How "NOT" to do struts!

Old 12-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #21
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tech31 View Post
wow, def not a toyota dealer, looks more like an independent type shop, what a complete idiot. i was nervous just waiting and watching.
x2 man i was waiting for this guy to get mangled

i saw one come off an actual press and hit the ceiling in our shop yeas ago it scared the living shit out me. now i have the fear of doing them myself
Old 01-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #23
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
Old 01-21-2012, 12:57 AM   #25
commando is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
commando's Tacoma Gallery
Glad I saw this because I am doing my front shocks soon. Those things are under some tension!

Did you hear the guy say "it's a cell phone we don't got a lot of tape"?
Old 01-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #26
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
if a shop has lifts and whatnot, why the fuck dont they have a compressor?
or are they just stupid...

probably just stupid...
nvm.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:18 AM   #27
commando is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
commando's Tacoma Gallery
That is also the lazy way to do it.

They knew what was going to happen...

What gets me is they don't give a crap about sending a customers spring flying across the parking lot...
Old 02-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #28
OverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud of
Name: David
OverRated's Tacoma Gallery
i cant lie, ive done this, scariest shit of my life. bought a compress right after. lol

edit: just finish the video, the springs i did didnt jump out like his though. they were for a car with lowering springs so it wasnt that bad.. lol
Old 02-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #29
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverRated View Post
i cant lie, ive done this, scariest shit of my life. bought a compress right after. lol

edit: just finish the video, the springs i did didnt jump out like his though. they were for a car with lowering springs so it wasnt that bad.. lol

You mean not like an 885 cranked allll the way up ??...

not only did the coil take off like a cannon ball but the strut shot backwards about the same...
Old 02-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #30
Feed him a hammer, he'd crap out nails.
Dark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dark_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Natural selection will catch up to them sooner or later.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #31
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, those dipshats are definitely lining themselves up for a future Darwin Award.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #32
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW, It could have been a new guy, and the others were fucking with him making him do it that way. SMart? No. Does it Happen? Yes. Happened to me years ago when my boss told me to remove the center nut on a 14 spring leaf pack off a 55K GVW truck. He handed me a wrench, and said "I need you to get that nut off!" then walked away laughing. Welp....I knew what was gonna happen, so I fired up a cutting torch, Turned the spring pack so it was facing into his office. I backed the pack with my foot (in a steel toe boot), and cut the nut off. about 4 springs made it into his office, which was 40 feet away. They crashed into his desk, and I heard this "WHAT IN THE FUCK!!!" He came out and saw my holding the centerpin and I said to him "I got it off for ya!".
Old 02-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #33
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
FWIW, It could have been a new guy, and the others were fucking with him making him do it that way. SMart? No. Does it Happen? Yes. Happened to me years ago when my boss told me to remove the center nut on a 14 spring leaf pack off a 55K GVW truck. He handed me a wrench, and said "I need you to get that nut off!" then walked away laughing. Welp....I knew what was gonna happen, so I fired up a cutting torch, Turned the spring pack so it was facing into his office. I backed the pack with my foot (in a steel toe boot), and cut the nut off. about 4 springs made it into his office, which was 40 feet away. They crashed into his desk, and I heard this "WHAT IN THE FUCK!!!" He came out and saw my holding the centerpin and I said to him "I got it off for ya!".

I approve of this post.. well played Chris...well played...

But hey, you DID get the nut off, just following orders....
Old 02-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #34
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
I approve of this post.. well played Chris...well played...

But hey, you DID get the nut off, just following orders....
Yes I did! And I tought him not to fuck with me anymore
Old 02-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #35
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Whats even more stupid, on the aircraft side of the house, when putting oleo struts together they forget to install the locking ring or use the high pressure nitrogen 3000psi and charge the shock. People have been killed like that and this wil. definitely do damage if not kill someone. completely stupid.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #36
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
Whats even more stupid, on the aircraft side of the house, when putting oleo struts together they forget to install the locking ring or use the high pressure nitrogen 3000psi and charge the shock. People have been killed like that and this wil. definitely do damage if not kill someone. completely stupid.

Yep, nothing says your dead like a half ton of compressed energy released at once & less than 2ft. from your head
Old 05-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #37
coryip is on a distinguished road
coryip's Tacoma Gallery
Took my old coils in to a local shop this weekend to swap the new ones. The first shop had a wall mound compressor but said they couldn't get the top bolt off so the sent me to another shop. When I get there he lays it on the ground and took the bolt off and i warned him that could be a bad idea but he continued anyway. I stepped around the corner until he finished. All I could think about was this video. I watched him do the second one from a distance and little to no pressure on them. I still would never recommend or try that myself especially when he had a wall mounted compressor right there.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #38
TODEOTA is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 819th REDHORSE Squadron
Name: Jake
TODEOTA's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed that the description on youtube said that the strut was bent, so they couldn't use a compressor. Seems odd that a compressor wouldn't fit, but hard knowing without details. Still, the way it was done was incredibly foolish.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #39
Bounty is on a distinguished road

Bounty's Tacoma Gallery
That garage is something. What's their calendar look like. I would like to get my struts done with the off chance that I might take out a so called mechanic in the process.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #40
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
i do this all the time on subarus. but those struts are not under any pressure. sure was fun to watch