Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How "NOT" to do struts!

Old 09-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #41
WheelinJ91 will become famous soon enough
Name: John
WheelinJ91's Tacoma Gallery
I am about to put a lift in and will say i have never attempted to do a lift before but "That" is why i payed the extra to have them assebled and then i could go from there.... 100$ in exchange for not hurting myself or worse seems worth it to me.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #42
Hoist Rider
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
I was waiting for this...

Old 01-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #43
Shipwreck is on a distinguished road

Name: Johan
Shipwreck's Tacoma Gallery
I was doing the 5100 install on my 1st gen tundra a few years ago and got the spring compressor kit from some auto parts store and while inder tension the compressing shaft snapped and the whole coil and strut came appart in the vice. I clampped it down in the vice and put some heavy wet towels over it to decrease the velocity should something come apart and still i got my hand beat up pretty good and one of the steel blocks got lodged in a solid wood door leading into the house. My poor dog also got a hit in the ribs with the other end. Luckily all is good and well now but this seriously is not something to mess around with....
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #44
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
I was doing the 5100 install on my 1st gen tundra a few years ago and got the spring compressor kit from some auto parts store and while inder tension the compressing shaft snapped and the whole coil and strut came appart in the vice. I clampped it down in the vice and put some heavy wet towels over it to decrease the velocity should something come apart and still i got my hand beat up pretty good and one of the steel blocks got lodged in a solid wood door leading into the house. My poor dog also got a hit in the ribs with the other end. Luckily all is good and well now but this seriously is not something to mess around with....

Well consider this, if it takes 600lbs of pressure to compress a 600lb coil 1" & most shocks/struts are preloaded up to 2", thats half a ton +/- of energy being released at once,,, you're luck you still have a head......... glad alls good with you & your puppy
Old 01-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #45
Shipwreck is on a distinguished road

Name: Johan
Shipwreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Well consider this, if it takes 600lbs of pressure to compress a 600lb coil 1" & most shocks/struts are preloaded up to 2", thats half a ton +/- of energy being released at once,,, you're luck you still have a head......... glad alls good with you & your puppy
Yes it was insane... never doing that again.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #46
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke%27s_Law
Old 05-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #48
04Tacomabuild is on a distinguished road

Name: Reese
04Tacomabuild's Tacoma Gallery
The worst part is that thats a toyota dealer..
Old 11-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #51
Dr 10Jeeps has a spectacular aura aboutDr 10Jeeps has a spectacular aura about

Name: Larry
Dr 10Jeeps's Tacoma Gallery
Well, the guy wasn't THAT stupid. After all, at the beginning, he did say "I don't want to stand in front of it."
Old 03-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #52
Navar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNavar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Navar's Tacoma Gallery
Jeesh where is this shop so we never go there.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #53
shr133 will become famous soon enough
Army: 31C, 95B.
Name: Steve
shr133's Tacoma Gallery
Pay the 100 and order the new ones assembled, the top cap wears out anyways so replace the whole strut....
Old 05-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #54
THE SCHIRMINATOR is a name known to allTHE SCHIRMINATOR is a name known to allTHE SCHIRMINATOR is a name known to allTHE SCHIRMINATOR is a name known to allTHE SCHIRMINATOR is a name known to allTHE SCHIRMINATOR is a name known to all

Name: Ryan
THE SCHIRMINATOR's Tacoma Gallery
Iv swapped springs without a compressor several times. Nothing dangerous about it if you do it right. Simply jack up the whole vehicles and brace with jack stands, loosen lower control arm bolts, place jack under lower control arm, jack it up until all compression is done, remove top nut and SLOWLY let down the jack until ALL pressure is off the spring/strut. Swap spring and reverse the process. Simple and safe enough for me. But looks like these guys just removed top bolt and nothing else...
Old 05-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #55
cosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: David
cosmicfires's Tacoma Gallery
One time in Mexico we stopped at a vulcanizodora (tire repair shop) to get a tire patched. The were assembling a big truck tire on a split rim without a safety cage using big hammers to seat the ring. Before I took cover around the corner I asked "muy pelegera?" (very dangerous?). One guy said "si si" with a big smile.

Same kind of thinking.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #56
grublin is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrublin is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrublin is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrublin is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrublin is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrublin is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrublin is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrublin is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrublin is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrublin is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrublin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: TC
grublin's Tacoma Gallery
The description on Youtube says the strut was bent and they couldn't get it in a spring compressor............11 years as a mechanic, half of which working next to the body mechanic, and I've never seen a strut bent bad enough you couldnt get one of the many spring compressors available around it. So stupid.