Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Front Springs - Snowplow

Old 11-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Chris-R is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Chris-R's Tacoma Gallery
Front Springs - Snowplow

I just bought a 2009 tacoma double cab TRD off road. Tomorrow, I'm having a snowplow installed on it. I was thinking that I may want to get new front springs that are able to handle more weight than the stock springs. I don't want to lift the truck. I'm just looking for the ability to handle the added front weight. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which springs I should consider? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
Tacoma Newbie
moserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud of
moserjjx's Tacoma Gallery
when i plowed snow with my 01 gmc sierra i had these on the front to support the extra weight when the plow is on.

http://www.truckspring.com/timbren-k...t-toftun4.html

they made a big difference with the plow but were not noticeable at all without.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
Marines:
Chris-R's Tacoma Gallery
I don't want timbrens. I had them on a GMC 2500HD and liked them very much but I think I rather replace the front springs with beefier springs. Timbrens are limited in capability. A nice set of beefy springs is more of what I am looking for. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
you could always get a set of coilovers and put them to the lowest setting? What plow are you going with out of curiosity?
Old 11-21-2008, 04:54 AM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingontrd View Post
X2.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:01 AM   #8
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Probably a good idea to ask the company installing the plow, have it done all at the same time. They may have a vendor they send the truck to.

New England winters and a Tacoma trying to push that slush....OH MY!!!

And before you start chirpin'...I lived in Massachusetts for 40 years and have plowed more snow than I care to remember. I tagged a raised manhole (hee hee) cover with a Mack CL 600 and tweaked the ever lovin' (blank) out of the frame. Hope you are just doing driveways.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:16 AM   #9
SHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of light

SHunter080703's Tacoma Gallery
I am looking to do this also. I will only be plowing resi's.

What type of plow are you putting on? I am thinking about getting a Sno-Way. Not sure if you have the tow package, if not you might want to look into getting a tranny cooler like this:
http://www.jegs.com/i/B%26M/130/70264/10002/-1
Old 11-21-2008, 08:23 AM   #10
Marines:
Chris-R's Tacoma Gallery
I'm getting a Sno-Way model 22 with snow deflector, downpressure, and wireless controller. I will only be doing driveways. I plowed commercially for many years and gave it all up as of now but I want to continue to do the driveways that have accumulated over the years. I have a bunch of them and at $45 each, I make over $ 1,000 per storm just on driveways. I got the tow package with the truck so I would have the tranny cooler. Even with that, I'll change my tranny fluid every year after the winter, just to be safe.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:00 AM   #11
I am the Sofa King
harshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

harshest's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
...I would love to see the '09 with a snow plow on the front...

Old 11-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #13
Marines:
Chris-R's Tacoma Gallery
Harshest: Nice pictures What kind of plow is that?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #14
Sittinsic.com
Shanes56 has much to be proud ofShanes56 has much to be proud ofShanes56 has much to be proud ofShanes56 has much to be proud ofShanes56 has much to be proud ofShanes56 has much to be proud ofShanes56 has much to be proud ofShanes56 has much to be proud of

Shanes56's Tacoma Gallery
If you want OEM ride height with a beefed rate I am pretty sure I can help you out, PM me if you are interested.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #15
I am the Sofa King
harshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

harshest's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-R View Post
Harshest: Nice pictures What kind of plow is that?
It's not my truck. I found it on the interweb but here are some links.

2007 post at Toyota Nation by ksavage523 - here
Link to the plow he was selling - here
Old 11-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #16
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
How about an 87 toyota pickup?

Old 11-21-2008, 10:05 AM   #17
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
those pics are wicked. too bad we hardly get any snow here or I would think about doing that. when we do get snow its a bunch and wet wet wet. 886's will lift the front of your truck a bunch. still pretty sweet to be able to make some coin with the taco tho!!
Old 11-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #18
SHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of light

SHunter080703's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-R View Post
I'm getting a Sno-Way model 22 with snow deflector, downpressure, and wireless controller. I will only be doing driveways. I plowed commercially for many years and gave it all up as of now but I want to continue to do the driveways that have accumulated over the years. I have a bunch of them and at $45 each, I make over $ 1,000 per storm just on driveways. I got the tow package with the truck so I would have the tranny cooler. Even with that, I'll change my tranny fluid every year after the winter, just to be safe.
That's the plow I am looking at as well.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #19
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHunter080703 View Post
I am looking to do this also. I will only be plowing resi's.
Funny, I've done more tweaking to trucks on driveways. Seems private individuals don't care to fix sinking concrete and love putting big ol' bolders right next to the driveway, you can't see after 24" of snow.

And I'd look into better shocks for the front as well, in the future. The thin portion of the OEM shocks may not be able to handle the weight.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #20
johnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to beholdjohnny12345 is a splendid one to behold
johnny12345's Tacoma Gallery
I would think airbags would be your best best. When empty it would be the stock ride, inflated they would stiffen the front up bigtime. I don't know of an exact product for tacomas but I'm sure there out there.