Notices

confused about 5100s

Old 12-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
2k4Taco will become famous soon enough2k4Taco will become famous soon enough

Navy: PO2 USN
Name: Swanny
2k4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
confused about 5100s

Im probably gonna get some shit for this but whatever... ive heard so many different things about the billy 5100s.. some say you need aftermarket coils to get lift in the front and which setting to put it at to level the truck out....so what is it? can i level my truck out with stock coils and the 5100s?I just want to know before I commit to the buy. Thanks guys- Swanny.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Yes.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
We can't stop here, this is bat country.
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
dayNnite4's Tacoma Gallery
if u leave the 5100's at stock height of .85, u can use stock spring but if ur gonna set them at 1.75 or 2.5, then u need new springs. and i beleive 1.75 will level it out. not sure about that tho
Old 12-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayNnite4 View Post
if u leave the 5100's at stock height of .85, u can use stock spring but if ur gonna set them at 1.75 or 2.5, then u need new springs. and i beleive 1.75 will level it out. not sure about that tho
That's not true. 5100s are designed for use with the stock springs, at any height you set the shock to.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
sethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to beholdsethr21785 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Missile Maint Tech, 2 Muns
Name: Seth
sethr21785's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

that doesnt sound right. I have stock springs and mine are set at 1.75...
Old 12-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #6

2k4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
See...lol... So what do I need to set them at to level the truck out? 1.75?
Old 12-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
YESSAHBUD...heyut
mainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ol' Waltah
mainewoodsballer's Tacoma Gallery
You can use the stock springs any setting you want
Old 12-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's how it is if you run them with OME 885 springs
Old 12-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
The 5100 springs are designed for use with stock coils. However the lift is achieved through spring preload thus making the ride rougher.

However their are aftermarket coils that can be bought that do some lifting themselves and allow for either very little or no preload be used in order to achieve desired lift.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k4Taco View Post
See...lol... So what do I need to set them at to level the truck out? 1.75?
When I set mine at 1.75" pre-tsb I was slightly nose-high.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainewoodsballer View Post
You can use the stock springs any setting you want
This ^
Old 12-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #12
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

This is not true....

You can run the 5100's at any set up with the stock coils. The more lift you get, the more stiff the ride is going to be. Here is an example for you. This is my truck with just the TSB and my billies at 2.5.....I had a bit of a bro lean....

Old 12-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #13

2k4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
What's tsb?
Old 12-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #15
bgsmith will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
bgsmith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What's tsb?
Pretty much a recall where Toyota would replace the stock 3 leaf pack with a 4 leaf back due to bottoming out when heavy loads are in the bed.

I have my 5100s set at 1.75 with stock springs, no TSB or issues, truck is level.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #16
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
If you use aftermarket coils that provide lift you should set the shocks at .85 max based on recommendations by vendors. Anymore is not safe for the shock.

If you are using stock coils or after market coils that do not provide any lift then you can set the shock at .85, 1.75 or 2.5 but as you increase height it compresses the springs and the ride becomes stiffer. Most choose .85 or 1.75 but some do run 2.5 and are ok with the ride.

If you are looking for more than 1.75 in lift you are better off going with aftermarket coils that provide lift by a longer coil since it will ride better.

Max lift is about 3-3.5 inches if you use a aftermarket lift coil and set the shock to .85.

There is also another variable called a top plate spacer. This goes on top of the setup and adds more lift. 1/2" plate is typically the max.

As stated to level out a stock truck with or without updated TSB springs they choose 1.75 some like a raked vehicle which is lower in the front and choose .85 mainly without the TSB springs.

Purchase from downsouth motorsports for the best price. They are in the vendors section of the forum. There is a discount code in the sticky section of their vendor page.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #17
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
Take most of this back since you have a 2004 tacoma.

I am a second gen guy so disregard what I posted. The heights and TSB springs do not apply the same to a first gen.

Someone else with a 1st gen will chime in soon
Old 12-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #18

2k4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
So pretty much there's a recall for leaf packs with 3 leafs to the 4 leaf? Bare with my guys I used to own a dodge...lol
Old 12-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So pretty much there's a recall for leaf packs with 3 leafs to the 4 leaf? Bare with my guys I used to own a dodge...lol
No

A TSB is not a recall

A TSB informs the techs about a reoccurring issue , and how they can fix it .

You need to go to the dealer and complain / prove that you have the issue to get it fixed under warranty .

I also just noticed you have a 2004 , the leaf spring TSB is for 2005-2012 Tacomas only .
Old 12-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #20

2k4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a three leaf pack with what looks like a helper leaf... So do i qualify for the recall? That would help bc my rear leafs look like a slightly sad face....