Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Is it possible for shocks to "freeze up"?

Old 11-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Is it possible for shocks to "freeze up"?

Today on my drive home from school, whenever I hit about 55 my truck would start to shake a little, and whenever I got to about 60-65 it would start shaking violently. It did this for at least an hour, then I could slowly increase my speed without my truck shaking, and then eventually there was no abnormal shaking.

I didn't drive my truck for almost the entire week, and it's been in the mid 20's - mid 30's where my truck was parked. Is it possible that the cold and not being used cause my shocks to "freeze up" or is it something much more serious?
Old 11-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like the tires may have flat spotted a bit. adj the air in them when you get a chance. they should be ok after you drive around on them for a little while.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBulldog View Post
Did you check your tire pressure? Cold contracts - heat expands. Might be air pressure...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
sounds like the tires may have flat spotted a bit. adj the air in them when you get a chance. they should be ok after you drive around on them for a little while.
Hm, seems like it might have been the tire pressure. I pulled off and made sure all the lug nuts were tightened and I don't remember thinking to myself that it could have been something to do with the tire pressure. I do know that during the summer I ran over a nail, but got it patched. Possible that the patch isn't there anymore?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #5

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Bump.

Was happening again today. First time it happened my bed was completely full of snow. My bed now has a good amount of snow in it.

Thinking its something with my leafs. That's a complete shot in the dark guess though. Anybody got ideas? :confused
Old 01-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #6
Tacoma Newbie
moserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud of
moserjjx's Tacoma Gallery
could it be ice stuck to the inside of one of your wheels? happens all the time to me
Old 01-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
Bump.

Was happening again today. First time it happened my bed was completely full of snow. My bed now has a good amount of snow in it.

Thinking its something with my leafs. That's a complete shot in the dark guess though. Anybody got ideas? :confused
im still thinking it has something to do with the tires flat spotting man. its cold as a witches tit there........so its still possible. your bed being full of snow wouldnt matter. if its your leafs....check them real good. first gens had a tendency of the leaves cracking/breaking. could be that they are just worn out. if thats the case...........get ya a new set from wheelers offroad.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Does the back of your rims have any snow packed in there? A guess, its happened to me.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #9
NicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
NicksRig's Tacoma Gallery
I too would check the wheels to make sure they are clean. I had some shaking when they were packed with ice and slush.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #10

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
im still thinking it has something to do with the tires flat spotting man. its cold as a witches tit there........so its still possible. your bed being full of snow wouldnt matter. if its your leafs....check them real good. first gens had a tendency of the leaves cracking/breaking. could be that they are just worn out. if thats the case...........get ya a new set from wheelers offroad.
I drove it pretty much every day this week though, so I don't think it would have been flat spotting.

xedge, thats another thing I was thinking. Both the front and back right wheels were filled with snow (might have run into a snowbank ). I guess I'll clean them out and see what happens.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #11
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
just a wild guess, but ive seen it before. Theres water inside the tires from moisture or what ever. Eventually, it freezes..From not driving your truck, the water froze and made the truck shake. When you drive, the ice melts and the water just sloshes around normally as when you never feel it.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
I drove it pretty much every day this week though, so I don't think it would have been flat spotting.

xedge, thats another thing I was thinking. Both the front and back right wheels were filled with snow (might have run into a snowbank ). I guess I'll clean them out and see what happens.
ok....hmm, well it could be as others have mentioned......wheels filled with snow/slush.......making them kinda unbalanced in a way.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #13
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok....hmm, well it could be as others have mentioned......wheels filled with snow/slush.......making them kinda unbalanced in a way.
ahh... My Cousin Vinny -- mud in the tire...