Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

best way to lift a regular cab 4 banger?

Old 12-21-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
weaksauce
bubba289 is on a distinguished road

bubba289's Tacoma Gallery
best way to lift a regular cab 4 banger?

all of the threads i see about bilsteins and eibachs seem to be talking about extra, access, or crew cab V6's. i'm guessing these would be far too stiff a ride for a regular cab 4 banger. and i know everyone is against spacers. so whats the best option for my truck? AAL in the rear i assume, but what about the front? if there's already a huge thread discussing this i apologize.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:29 AM   #2
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba289 View Post
all of the threads i see about bilsteins and eibachs seem to be talking about extra, access, or crew cab V6's. i'm guessing these would be far too stiff a ride for a regular cab 4 banger. and i know everyone is against spacers. so whats the best option for my truck? AAL in the rear i assume, but what about the front? if there's already a huge thread discussing this i apologize.
Shouldn't be an issue. Stay clear of coils intended for heavy applications like bumpers or armor and you'll be fine.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
thats 3" of lift on a 1st gen.............u sure u want that much lift?
?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
What usage?

For street, just get the 5100s for the front and set them.

OME is stiffer on regular cabs than on the V6 access/double cabs - but it works, especially once you start adding heavy off-roading gear to your truck; which of course is what it's intended for.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
weaksauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
Shouldn't be an issue. Stay clear of coils intended for heavy applications like bumpers or armor and you'll be fine.
i dunno that much about this whole process yet, but i have read several threads where people were complaining about the rough ride of 5100's on V6 trucks. i would think if its rough on a V6 crew cab its gonna be unbearable on a regular cab 4cyl

Quote:
thats 3" of lift on a 1st gen.............u sure u want that much lift?
i want 2-3", yes. i just havent decided which route to go yet. i had a 97 with a 3" body lift back in the day and it looked great (except for the big gap where u could see the light of day between the bed and the frame )

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
What usage?

For street, just get the 5100s for the front and set them.

OME is stiffer on regular cabs than on the V6 access/double cabs - but it works, especially once you start adding heavy off-roading gear to your truck; which of course is what it's intended for.
as far as usage. i have a camry so any trips over 30min or so will def be done in that. this will be just for me to have a fun little truck i can play with. i havent had a 4x4 since i sold my tundra about 4yrs back and i miss it. but with that said, i dont want it to ride like shit on the road either cuz roads around here arent the best. i would like to add a big bumper and winch at some point but it would be a little ways off due to lack of funds.

Quote:
no jelly

just know that sometimes people mix up the 1st and 2nd gen specs sometimes.

I have had a couple knee surgeries, so I like my mild lift.
i dont know anything about the specs. this just seems to be the most common lift recommendation around here and i happened to notice all of the people talking about it are driving extra/access/crew cabs. i thought i might be missing the discussions about regular cab 4cyl trucks somewhere.

with the bilsteins i really dont like the idea of having only 1" of down travel. especially since i dont have lockers.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
I like OME. Old Man Emu makes three different springs for different weight caring needs, not one size fits all and designed shocks to work with them.
I have an 2nd gen access cab 4Banger and use the middle spring (885s for 2nd gen & 883s for 1st) with the Dakar leaf packs in the rear. I got a full 3" lift front & rear.
Since you have a 1st gen regular cab 4Banger I would recommend the 881s. http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

Old 12-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
weaksauce

very helpful man, thanks! so would i need new shocks too if i opted for those coils? i see at the bottom is says "NOTE: 882 and 883 coils require matching OME 90004 front shocks", so i assume the factory shocks will work with the coils, but are probably not ideal. is that about right? again, i dont want to get myself into a situation where i only have 1" of down travel because this truck will see its fair share of off road time.