Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Tacoma Spring refurbishing

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #1981
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Ohh I see. I missed the part where he said he has leaf springs front and rear. Also just noticed he's an 85 pick up. Do those trucks come with front and rear leaf springs or is this an after market SAC?

Check to make sure the leaf springs are seated properly on the front axle.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #1982
Nahual King is on a distinguished road
Name: Vlad
Nahual King's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks a lot Moe

I'm also new in this world so I do have lots of questions and lots to learn, thanks for your input. I will search for those and try to install them during the Holidays,

As for the leafs i have in the truck, I can tell you they came with the truck when we bought it, so I don't know what kind are they, sorry...

Question would be, is there a way to know that and why is this important...?

When I said reworked I meant re-arched, this is a very common process here in Mexico and cheaper as well.

Very nice truck BTW...

Thanks again man...
Vlad
Old 12-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #1983
Nahual King is on a distinguished road
Name: Vlad
Nahual King's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
I believe that the front axle is moving from side to side (if you put it on a lift and pushed on the axle from the side it'd kick over.

By reworked i think he means re-arched.
Thank you very much Jake, I will try to check this during the weekend, I will let you know what happened...

And yes, by reworked I meant to say re-arched, thanks for that as well...

Have a great one
Vlad
Old 12-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #1984
Mabumba is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
Mabumba's Tacoma Gallery
OMD, can my springs be saved?

Hi, Doug, and hello All, (first post)!
Well, after about five years of searching, I finally found my dream Taco, then discovered that it has the flat springs everyone here is familiar with. No worries, as I've read this entire post, and I'm ready and willing to tackle this mod. But, I figured I'd post some pictures of my springs and get your opinion, OMD, because the springs seem to be on life support, and they're probably a good case-study for everyone to determine whether to pull the plug, or revive 'em. This mod is definitely my preference, but if they can't be saved, I'm thinking Dakars or maybe something along this route: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...-swap-faq.html
By the way, the first three pics are driver's side and the last two are passenger; and that block is a 2.5" body lift, which is awful, but necessary to allow for the 285 tires.
Thanks, everyone, and thank you, Doug, for a kickass thread! -Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Tacoma Spring refurbishing-img_1195.jpg   Tacoma Spring refurbishing-img_1191.jpg   Tacoma Spring refurbishing-img_1180.jpg   Tacoma Spring refurbishing-img_1188.jpg   Tacoma Spring refurbishing-img_1178.jpg  

Old 12-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #1985
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabumba View Post
Hi, Doug, and hello All, (first post)!
Well, after about five years of searching, I finally found my dream Taco, then discovered that it has the flat springs everyone here is familiar with. No worries, as I've read this entire post, and I'm ready and willing to tackle this mod. But, I figured I'd post some pictures of my springs and get your opinion, OMD, because the springs seem to be on life support, and they're probably a good case-study for everyone to determine whether to pull the plug, or revive 'em. This mod is definitely my preference, but if they can't be saved, I'm thinking Dakars or maybe something along this route: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...-swap-faq.html
By the way, the first three pics are driver's side and the last two are passenger; and that block is a 2.5" body lift, which is awful, but necessary to allow for the 285 tires.
Thanks, everyone, and thank you, Doug, for a kickass thread! -Nick

No problem nick & your springs are saggy but not dead
Old 12-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #1986
Mabumba is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
Mabumba's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, great! Pictures to come later... Thanks, again!
Old 12-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #1987
Boogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phoenix
Boogyman's Tacoma Gallery
it may have been mentioned before but i haven't found it. I'm still on the search for leaves but all i can find are 2.5 inch wide. how hard is it to shave the sides to fit?
Old 12-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #1988
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogyman View Post
it may have been mentioned before but i haven't found it. I'm still on the search for leaves but all i can find are 2.5 inch wide. how hard is it to shave the sides to fit?
Depends on how good of a grinder you have
Old 12-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #1989
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haws View Post
So Ive been looking and like the idea of trying this on my 2010 tacoma. Does anyone know if this helps cure the taco lean?
Yes, most lean issues go away as does axle wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Doug, do you have any recommendations for a U-bolt flip kit? I have a new set of Dakars + U-bolts that I still haven't installed, and I figure I may as well do the flip now.
Hi Ding, I dont really have a favorite, the AllPro one is nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahual King View Post
Hi there Tacoma World Experts... I have some questions regarding leaf springs

I recently got my truck's leaf springs (front and rear) reworked and:

First question regarding my rear axle, the other day noticed on the rear side the tire doesn't look like being on the center of the bed's fender it kind of looks moved forward about 1" from the center of the fender, is this correct...? If, not, how can I correct it...?

Second one regarding the the front axle, after I got them reworked I noticed when I'm driving I fell sometimes like the front axle wiggles, being more specific; if I get to a bump and get it like in a certain angle (similar to what you do when you are driving a sports car and don't want the bottom of the car to hit the bump) I fell like the first tire going down the bump it moves forward and then the second one does later when going down too, is this normal...? If not, how can this be corrected...?

Thanks in advance for all your advises and have a great one
NK

Sounds like wheel shimmy, can be caused by loose/worn steering components, even wheel balance

Quote:

You can grind,make sure you take equal amounts off each side of donors..
Old 12-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #1991
Boogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

should i grind the entire length of the leaf or just where the ubolts are?
Old 12-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #1992
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
should i grind the entire length of the leaf or just where the ubolts are?

OK, this is an important question & I'll be careful in my answer, with springs that are obviously wider you'll need to grind both sides equally, full length, the reason for this is you want to be as close to OEM width specs as possible because you'll have springs "floating" in the leafpack that cannot be clamped in place as the others will be, you dont have to be exact & usually the amount of material needed to be removed is minimal, it is more work but def. doable
Old 12-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
OK, this is an important question & I'll be careful in my answer, with springs that are obviously wider you'll need to grind both sides equally, full length, the reason for this is you want to be as close to OEM width specs as possible because you'll have springs "floating" in the leafpack that cannot be clamped in place as the others will be, you dont have to be exact & usually the amount of material needed to be removed is minimal, it is more work but def. doable
gotcha that makes plenty of sense now. in your opinion is it worth searching for the perfect leaf pack or just find some close and shave it down to fit? I'm not heavy towing i just want good height and flex if that makes a difference.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #1994
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
gotcha that makes plenty of sense now. in your opinion is it worth searching for the perfect leaf pack or just find some close and shave it down to fit? I'm not heavy towing i just want good height and flex if that makes a difference.

Well I'm a little biased, I'm always looking for the perfect spring , if time is on your side then you'll likely find the right leafs for this MOD, but some guys don't have the luxury of having alot of yards to look in like i do, in this case & you've exhausted your resources then its time to find leafs that have the right amount of ARC, whip out the flap wheel & start grinding, like mentioned its a little more work but not that bad really & as mentioned it doesn't have to be exact, if you can get them within a 1/16th" your good to go..
Old 12-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Well I'm a little biased, I'm always looking for the perfect spring , if time is on your side then you'll likely find the right leafs for this MOD, but some guys don't have the luxury of having alot of yards to look in like i do, in this case & you've exhausted your resources then its time to find leafs that have the right amount of ARC, whip out the flap wheel & start grinding, like mentioned its a little more work but not that bad really & as mentioned it doesn't have to be exact, if you can get them within a 1/16th" your good to go..
awesome i really appreciate your help. hopefully i can knock this out in the next two weeks.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #1996
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
awesome i really appreciate your help. hopefully i can knock this out in the next two weeks.

No worries dude, glad to help & if ya hit a snag let me know...
Old 12-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #1997
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Only took few months but finally got them on haha. Haven't got to actually drive it yet though
Old 12-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #1998
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellassaiw10 View Post

Only took few months but finally got them on haha. Haven't got to actually drive it yet though
Why no drive Mike ??
Old 12-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #1999
Formally afroman5015

Did this last night, and took my headlights out to re retro them and that took up most of my day lol
Old 12-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #2000
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, I see haha, I'm going to shorten up the spring clamps a little, well actually I'll see if Tyler (Pelfreybilt offroad) will kick me out a couple hundred more plates, looking at yours is like looking at mine, I made them a little long in case guys wanted to add more springs later but I think shorter ones would look better & easier to center up

Products Discussed in this Thread