1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Spring refurbishing

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 4WD, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    Vali

Vali Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vali
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    :threadjacked:

Hey Guy's I'm Just curious if any one has had troulble with removing the front pin on stock springs:confused:

I've got the "white horse" all torn apart in the back yard puttin' in an All Pro exp. lift:D

I thought 4WD had a post on this thanks Doug,

Sorry bout the thredjack Just dead in the water:(

2. Feb 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    4WD

4WD [OP] cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Hey no worries, so your spring hanger has put a death grip on it huh, well if its froze you can try putting some heat to it & smack the shit out of it a couple times with heavy hammer BMFH, if that doesn't work your going to have to cut it out, i'd get an angle grinder with a cut off wheel, shave the head off the bolt (or nut) which ever is easier & drive it out with punch good luck

3. Feb 13, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    Doug,

I want to see if I have my mind wrapped around this correctly.

When adding in new leaves and you want to compensate for drivers side lean, you would use SHORTER leaves on the drivers side, correct? As shorter leaves are stiffer.

4. Feb 13, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    4WD

4WD [OP] cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

I configure both sides the same or "as built" is a better term, you are right about shorter springs being stiffer.

You are referencing the infamous "'taco lean".. I guess it exist for some, I've never had it & none of the tacomas I've done have had it either, but if I did have it I'd compensate for it with new coils up front or some opt for a .5" -1" spacer plate , this seems to be the area where this "lean" occurs, def. wouldn't compensate for it changing/adding /mixing leafs, you'll end up with an irregular spring rate & probably a wierd ride also...;)

5. Feb 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    I will use the Redneck way if I ever get the "Leans" . Just date a fat broad for a few weeks to smooth out the passenger side springs.

It makes you wonder just how many Tacos and Big Macs those with the Taco Lean eat in a week. Like you, I have had Tacomas since 96 and Toyota trucks since 94 if there was a lean, it was very slight.

6. Feb 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    4WD

4WD [OP] cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

Hey, redneck way works for me Rick (prolly 'cause I AM a bit of a "neck".:D)

Fat chicks are like mopeds, alot of fun to ride but you wouldn't want your buddies to see you on one....;)

7. Feb 14, 2012 at 5:52 AM
    Fiddynut

Fiddynut Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Double cab
    Bilstein 5100s on 32" BFGs
    Yeah mine didn't lean until I put the Toytec springs in front. I added a 1/4 spacer to the driverside = 1/2 of lift. Fixed

8. Feb 14, 2012 at 3:03 PM
    4WD

4WD [OP] cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

Wow, you actually had the "lean", good fix !! :D

9. Feb 15, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    Enduromatic

Enduromatic Very Classy Redneck.

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Oregon. Heart still Colo though.
    Vehicle:
    17 magrey dclb TRD or.
    rebuilt leafs/ billy 5125 ome/ billy 5100
    My new springs only get better with each trial i give them. They are very very nice. I have had a chance to reallly check them out and they are firm/soft enough so that i dont feel all trail trash, dont body roll like i used to and overall just work well.Beacuase we are using the stock/ soft springs on top it maintains softness throught the first part of the compression stroke and by the time the new sturdier spgs kick in it fells progressive. There are so many things one can acheive if they have a basic understanding of leafs by adding/ replacing with doner leafs. You can literally make spgs built to do anything you could want. It is a true way to cutomize for your needs. The way i went( just like omds) Provide better carrying capacity, much much better handling, a ride that can go offroad without knockin your teeth out yet it is firm enough you are not being bounced all around and ridin on bumstops. Firm planted feeling. Like a truck, but a very comfyortable 4x truck. This is all without much weight in the bed but that being said I have a shell that weighs 80-100 lbs and barely nudges my ride height. I also have my spare and heavy hitch under there. I LOVE THESE SPGS! With the amount of lift i have I have no vibes and actually my diff to driveline angle is much more acceptable then it was when sagging.

I just ordered my front coils at 2" or so cause although i gained 3 in rear i dont know how sagged i was. If need be I already have another absolutely perfect( As in same size, width, and no need to cut and amazing arcage) spgs at my local jy. OMD mod if done correctly can really produce results that if i didnt know any better, are worth the going rate for aftermarket spgs!.

10. Feb 15, 2012 at 10:35 AM
    4WD

4WD [OP] cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

Bingo !! By george, I think the kid's got it !!! Well done Matt, this is exactly what I've been banging the drum about since last year..:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

11. Feb 15, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    Enduromatic

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Vehicle:
    17 magrey dclb TRD or.
    Also im sure most of yall know this but for those who dont. The rear shock configuration on 1st gens is such that the left/ right shock mounts
    are different angles and different lengths. So make sure to take this into consideration when measuring for new shocks to accomadate for your omd lift!. If you are like me and want a precise fitting shock not a "um yeah it works with a lift". Then make sure to measure both sides and come up with an average if using aftermarket shocks that are same length. There a re a few app specific shocks out there that are l/r specific and will work well with small amounts of lift,. For example i was told by multiple distributers yep these will work with lift. then i asked collapsed and extended lengths. Ext was 21 for 1 and 22 for another. The ome extends to 23. Well my droop is 23. will it work? sure you can use the shock as a limiting strap but im not going to. So shopped until i found a shock that was 24.1 ext. ahh inch and half of safety.and comressed 15. not ideal but i will use bump stops to fix. I really wanted to find a shock at 14.25/24. The rough countrys wheelers sells are 14.25/23.25. dam close and only 70 a pair but i really wanted matchin shocks all the way around. so i went with 9.25 travel bills. These were the most optimum without relocating mounts. the 10s compressed length is a bit to close for comfort without remounting wich i may end up doin one day.
    This is absolutely crucial if offroading . when i was taki9ng my measurements it messed with me for quite a bit.;) The diff is slight but for alot of the shocks i found you are cutting it real close so knowing both measurements is good.

12. Feb 15, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    every day, i am more, and more interested in doing this...

13. Feb 15, 2012 at 11:06 AM
    Enduromatic

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Vehicle:
    17 magrey dclb TRD or.
    Well i can definitely see why!!!!!You should make a lil stencil thats says OMD so you can paint all the spgs your doin for ppl. OMD 4-pack or OMD HDs heheh! Oh hey is your tranny still down man?

14. Feb 15, 2012 at 11:13 AM
    Enduromatic

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Vehicle:
    17 magrey dclb TRD or.
    well joben i obviously encourage it! scout jy and cl.

15. Feb 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    just so i dont have to sift through every page of this thread again...what is the with i'd be looking for for new springs?

16. Feb 15, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    4WD

4WD [OP] cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    A logo is in the works.....;) Yeah, still down but i've been pretty busy anyway, but can't wait to get rollin' again..

As close to stock width you can find, thats why the Chevy springs are popular (besides the awesome performance you get out of them) almost identical to stock, some early Fords are also (another great choice if you can find them)

17. Feb 15, 2012 at 11:34 AM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    thank you kind sir...:cool:

18. Feb 15, 2012 at 12:14 PM
    Enduromatic

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Vehicle:
    17 magrey dclb TRD or.
    f150
    isuzu troopers
    rangers
    s 10
    some chevy suvs.
    all are within range and easy to find in jy.
    when choosing make sure you know the width, thickness(you want a bit beffier than stock) mine were bout 3mm thicker. Also you need to know what lengths your additions will be so you can make sure your doners have the length options. If your first gen they are offset, and at last arc!!! you either want similar thickness but more arc or similiar arc but beefier.! mine were a hair wider but my old u-bolts went rite over em.
    happy hunting!

19. Feb 15, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    Enduromatic

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Vehicle:
    17 magrey dclb TRD or.
    Are you fixin tranny your self Doug? What happened to it ?

20. Feb 16, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    4WD

4WD [OP] cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

Oh hell no, I have no desire to split one of these "Yota trannys, waaaay over my head, no specialty tools for trans. either.......:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top