Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Tacoma Spring refurbishing

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #21
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Nice job, I need to do that to my truck here soon, the front of my are goin upside down already.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #22
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Tell ya what... I'm thinking about Chevy springs now....
Yeah, there's a lot of jibber jabber about the 63" Chevy spring adapted to the Taco.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #23
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
Yeah, there's a lot of jibber jabber about the 63" Chevy spring adapted to the Taco.
What's the deal with that Ive been hearing this a lot lately
Old 12-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #24
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
63'' meaning S-10 or full size?
Old 12-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #25
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaTRD View Post
Nice arc
what does the diamond cut do to the springs?
Good question Dave , as the spring compresses whether from a load or hitting a pothole all that energy is forced upward, although strangely enough the "impact" is transferred downward in the form of spring compression, the longest leaf (least resistance) obliviously sends the energy downward to the next ,shorter leaf (more resistance) & so on (the shorter the leaf, the greater the resistance to compression. Ok the ends of the leafs are the first recipient of all this energy & I believe the theory is with the ends slightly trimmed at angles the absense of the extra metal coupled with the shorter, stouter more resistant springs dampens the impact of the springs compressing together in succession (longer to shorter) Not a 100% on this but damn it sounds good (pretty sure thats it though...)
Old 12-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #26
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
They get them from full size rigs.
You have to relocate a couple of spring hangers, though.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20665
A lot of the info is on 1st gen Taco but I don't know why it wouldn't work for 2nd gen.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:58 PM   #27
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good question Dave , as the spring compresses whether from a load or hitting a pothole all that energy is forced upward, although strangely enough the "impact" is transferred downward in the form of spring compression, the longest leaf (least resistance) obliviously sends the energy downward to the next ,shorter leaf (more resistance) & so on (the shorter the leaf, the greater the resistance to compression. Ok the ends of the leafs are the first recipient of all this energy & I believe the theory is with the ends slightly trimmed at angles the absense of the extra metal coupled with the shorter, stouter more resistant springs dampens the impact of the springs compressing together in succession (longer to shorter) Not a 100% on this but damn it sounds good (pretty sure thats it though...)
That sounds right
Old 12-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #28
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
gotcha
Old 12-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #29
Jumper's Leds
csjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: 2nd class petty officer
Name: chris
csjumper2003's Tacoma Gallery
My springs. They will look so good when they are installed tomorrow
Old 12-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #30
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
Quote:

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20665
A lot of the info is on 1st gen Taco but I don't know why it wouldn't work for 2nd gen.
You guys bring up a good point of refference for me, this MOD is for refreshing/lifting/firming up the OEM main & secondary leafs, this assuming the main leaf is still rebuildable. I determined a while back that the last (or first) 10" of main spring from the eyelett is key to the whole process, all springs can lose arc (frown on you) but usually can be corrected with addition of more/BETTER steel, that said if the 10" I talk about is actually "bent" then the main spring becomes a door stop

& I drive a 1st gen & mine was a guniea pig for this whole deal . Had it not worked out so well trust me ya'll wouldn't be reading this now. 1st gen, 2nd gen. no matter it'll work wonders...
Old 12-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #31
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
Nice job, I need to do that to my truck here soon, the front of my are goin upside down already.

I know buddy, hit me up when your ass begins to thaw....
Old 12-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #32
SSS
oneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: SSS
oneBIGroom's Tacoma Gallery
S-10?? K-10 maybe? C-10?
Thats a monster s10
Old 12-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #33
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneBIGroom View Post
S-10?? K-10 maybe? C-10?
Thats a monster s10
I can't even remember seeing a 1 ton flatbed S-10 but apparently they exist (to my good fortune)

theres 8 nicely ,evenly arc'd leafs including the overload
Old 12-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #34
Mega Member
Anteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Andrew
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
your the man doug helping people out whenever you can. Thats awesome!
Old 12-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #35
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by csjumper2003 View Post
My springs. They will look so good when they are installed tomorrow

Dude, why dont I just give you my springs instead (they will fit ya know)

you dont want chevy springs on your 'taco
Old 12-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #36
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteupp View Post
your the man doug helping people out whenever you can. Thats awesome!

Thanks Andrew !! hopefully the transmission fairy will see this & help an old fugger out !!!
Old 12-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #37
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah, heres a pic of the 10" i'm talking about

I suck at diagrams but you get the idea, if its actually bent within that violet (fucia ?? fuck i dont know) line between the blue points, I wont waste my time with it...

Old 12-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #38

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know buddy, hit me up when your ass begins to thaw....
Aww shit, it be thawed by now, got here Monday.

I guess I should go hit up a few junk yards tomorrow or next week. How wide are the leafs you get? I believe mine are 2.25".
Old 12-22-2011, 10:28 PM   #39
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
Aww shit, it be thawed by now, got here Monday.

I guess I should go hit up a few junk yards tomorrow or next week. How wide are the leafs you get? I believe mine are 2.25".

ahhh nice.... & my ride is broke as fuck still, dammit no going to pancake this time either, although dont know if its even doable anymore...

if your serious about the springs I can point you towards a good spot, PM me if interested

I seriously think you'll want to do this sooner or later,

matt is still pounding the shit out of his & he's prolly more bonzai than 95% of peeps here

Products Discussed in this Thread