Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Tacoma Spring refurbishing

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #1721
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
Could really use these.
My springs are causing my '07 sport to bottom out with only my 4 wheeler in the bed.
I found this thread, & it is exactly what i need to do. I am in south-central pa, & u r 4 hours away. This is a really nice offer to your tw members. Thank you. Marty
Old 06-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #1722
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Well, gotta say if no one scoops them up from you I'll probably take them off your hands, minus any overloads, I'll pay shipping & a perk for you getting them to post office if thats acceptable (of course depending on shipping cost) It'd probably be about what I would have to pay for them anyway...so we'll see

& props for donating brother !!...
Sounds like a plan, let me know what you want to do. Do you think USPS would ship them? I wonder if I just wrap them in cardboard and tape and take them to UPS if that would be enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Man Marty View Post
Could really use these.
My springs are causing my '07 sport to bottom out with only my 4 wheeler in the bed.
I found this thread, & it is exactly what i need to do. I am in south-central pa, & u r 4 hours away. This is a really nice offer to your tw members. Thank you. Marty
I will be up in Central NJ this weekend (08510), but would need to convince my wife to take my truck up rather than her SUV to get the complete springs up there, not sure if I could bring them or not, PM me and we can discuss if you want.

If you want the Suburban Springs, those I can definitely bring those to NJ with me.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #1723
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by goufcustom View Post
Do you think USPS would ship them? I wonder if I just wrap them in cardboard and tape and take them to UPS if that would be enough?
They may be over the weight and length restrictions. Plug the data in here and see what they say. UPS shipped my Dakars, so they should be able to take those springs, too.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #1724
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
Ill shoot u a pm now for just xtra springs.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #1725
Blutus is on a distinguished road

Blutus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank you Judy & I'm so embarrassed because i just realized that you've never gotten those spacers from me for the carrier..... I am so sorry.. its been a rough couple months caring for my mom & I just been forgetting shit/pre occupied...please forgive.
Certainly Doug, no problem! Been there, with my dad.

I'm starting to think my vibes are not so much the carrier as u-joints. If they've had the care and attention the engine had (still had the original 1998 plugs and wires when I bought it) then I'm thinking most of the vibe is ungreased u-joints in their last days.

As for the springs, you still interested in getting my old ones? I forgot about them riding around back there in the bed all this time. Would you prefer just the mains? You'd probably trash the remaining stock leafs on it anyway, right?
Old 06-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #1726
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutus View Post
I'm starting to think my vibes are not so much the carrier as u-joints. If they've had the care and attention the engine had (still had the original 1998 plugs and wires when I bought it) then I'm thinking most of the vibe is ungreased u-joints in their last days.
Yikes is right. You should be able to tell pretty easily by rotating the drive shafts by hand and checking for excessive play. It's a lot easier to replace U-joints before total failure than after.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #1727
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by goufcustom View Post
Sounds like a plan, let me know what you want to do. Do you think USPS would ship them? I wonder if I just wrap them in cardboard and tape and take them to UPS if that would be enough?

I will be up in Central NJ this weekend (08510), but would need to convince my wife to take my truck up rather than her SUV to get the complete springs up there, not sure if I could bring them or not, PM me and we can discuss if you want.

If you want the Suburban Springs, those I can definitely bring those to NJ with me.
Yes USPS will deliver, I'm hoping someone in your area will jump on this generous offer of yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
They may be over the weight and length restrictions. Plug the data in here and see what they say. UPS shipped my Dakars, so they should be able to take those springs, too.
Go back to your corner sonny !!!..

Quote:
Certainly Doug, no problem! Been there, with my dad.

As for the springs, you still interested in getting my old ones? I forgot about them riding around back there in the bed all this time. Would you prefer just the mains? You'd probably trash the remaining stock leafs on it anyway, right?
HI JUDY !!.. If I remember right you had a vibe from a higher speed
(55 mph ?) If this is the case I can practically gaurantee its not driveline angle, more likely tire wear/balance or quite possibly U joints & yes I would like the main springs for sure & thank you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Yikes is right. You should be able to tell pretty easily by rotating the drive shafts by hand and checking for excessive play. It's a lot easier to replace U-joints before total failure than after.
Who IS this guy ???........
Old 06-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #1728
Well, let's play chess.

I was thinking of you today when I heard that my dad (who's much older and crankier than you, btw) needs to replace the spring saddles on his '67 Chevy 1-ton again. I guess they don't like having 2 tons of rock on them that much.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #1729
Blutus is on a distinguished road

Blutus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
HI JUDY !!.. If I remember right you had a vibe from a higher speed
(55 mph ?) If this is the case I can practically gaurantee its not driveline angle, more likely tire wear/balance or quite possibly U joints & yes I would like the main springs for sure & thank you...
I had the vibe immediately after getting the springs done, but as I drive it I can hear/feel various different things going on at different speeds, and all of them showed up after doing the springs and raising the truck a nice 3". Seems to me that much lift would affect many things some what, some more than others. Sometimes I feel it in the bones of the truck at around 55-60, sometimes feel it in the wheel, sometimes rolling to a stop, sometimes hear it with the window down rolling slowly next to a wall. All of them go faster or slower as the running gear does.

I think the way to go is to replace the u-joints first, then check the drive angle and see what's what after that.

Meanwhile, the old main spring is enjoying the ride!

...kinda wish I'd gone for one more leaf....
Old 06-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #1730
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I had the vibe immediately after getting the springs done, but as I drive it I can hear/feel various different things going on at different speeds, and all of them showed up after doing the springs and raising the truck a nice 3". Seems to me that much lift would affect many things some what, some more than others. Sometimes I feel it in the bones of the truck at around 55-60, sometimes feel it in the wheel, sometimes rolling to a stop, sometimes hear it with the window down rolling slowly next to a wall. All of them go faster or slower as the running gear does.

I think the way to go is to replace the u-joints first, then check the drive angle and see what's what after that.

Meanwhile, the old main spring is enjoying the ride!

...kinda wish I'd gone for one more leaf....
Yeah , good idea & please let me know after the Ujoints & if you still have issues we'll get it straightened out, can't have you rolling around vibrating
Old 06-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #1731
Wille is on a distinguished road
Name: John
Wille's Tacoma Gallery
Suspension Help

Hi Doug,
Need some help from you, want to make my truck rear suspension work and be about 2 higher so need some pointers. I have a 2010 TAKOMA gen 2 twin cap 4x4. The rear leaf springs are the original junk (2 leafs + one short) but as you say they can be used to make better. The truck is in Peru so it is way south to get your springs.
Would like to add leafs in order to make the rear work correctly. Cannot find old chevy or ford trucks leafs on the market so I will have to buy new single leafs to add to the original package.
My intention is to use the 2 original leafs and add two more leafs of same thickness and width to each package. How far from the eyelets should I cut the new leafs Im going to add ??? any other recommendation ???
Thanks for your help, John
Old 06-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #1732
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
anyone currently trying to get a hold of doug.

his internet is currently out
Old 06-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #1733
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
anyone currently trying to get a hold of doug.

his internet is currently out

Ok I'm back & thanks Leo...
Old 06-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #1734
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wille View Post
Hi Doug,
Need some help from you, want to make my truck rear suspension work and be about 2 higher so need some pointers. I have a 2010 TAKOMA gen 2 twin cap 4x4. The rear leaf springs are the original junk (2 leafs + one short) but as you say they can be used to make better. The truck is in Peru so it is way south to get your springs.
Would like to add leafs in order to make the rear work correctly. Cannot find old chevy or ford trucks leafs on the market so I will have to buy new single leafs to add to the original package.
My intention is to use the 2 original leafs and add two more leafs of same thickness and width to each package. How far from the eyelets should I cut the new leafs Im going to add ??? any other recommendation ???
Thanks for your help, John

Hi John, depends where you have to order an AAL from, with my springs customers pay shipping so it may not be as bad as you think, I wouldn't add more toyota springs tho'...as far as cut lengths go if adding to existing make your cuts approx. 3.5" shorter on each end of leaf directly above...repeat for each leaf added
Old 06-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #1736
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Picked these up for free from a friend last night. He lifted his 85 gmc K10, so I gladly took then off his hands. Plan is to just throw one of the leaves in now to get back to stock height, then add more when I lift it. My stock leaves were replaced last June with the frame, and they are already starting to go flat. Plus they are too squishy.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #1737
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
Put in my OMDs and wheelers super bumps front and rear yesterday!! Glad I did cause the deaver AAL I had in there was completely cracked all the way through! Now all I have to do is crank my coils up a bit. But, I'm def going to get 14 in #650lb kings
Old 06-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #1738
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Doug..

Got a 2007 Non-TSB, looking to get 2.75" - 3" of lift, and load capacity. Kind of like OMEs. Running a Deaver AAL at the moment.

What're my options? What can ya build me?

Gonna be home from Bering Sea in a couple of days.. Think I could have them before middle of July? I'm in WA.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #1739
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscg2008 View Post
Put in my OMDs and wheelers super bumps front and rear yesterday!! Glad I did cause the deaver AAL I had in there was completely cracked all the way through! Now all I have to do is crank my coils up a bit. But, I'm def going to get 14 in #650lb kings

Well I'm relieved you finally installed them Coby, you've had them for awhile now... haha, yeah i know you've been busy as hell most the year it seems...so hows the ride ? any lift ??...
Old 06-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #1740
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverich View Post
Hey Doug..

Got a 2007 Non-TSB, looking to get 2.75" - 3" of lift, and load capacity. Kind of like OMEs. Running a Deaver AAL at the moment.

What're my options? What can ya build me?

Gonna be home from Bering Sea in a couple of days.. Think I could have them before middle of July? I'm in WA.

sure, get me a couple good pics of current stance & I can hit that deliver date... I'll give you a quote

Products Discussed in this Thread