Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Tacoma Spring refurbishing

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma Spring refurbishing

DISCLAIMER:

You can use any leaf spring off any make/model car or truck if it meets the minimum requirements...

1. width, the closer to OEM spring width you are the better...

2. think about what you're trying to achieve, if your looking for more lift than anything, you want to seek out leafs with more ARC, not too much tho', remember, a little good steel goes along way...

3. If load rate increase without the lift is what your after, look for leafs with less ARC but maybe a little thicker & again, look for stock width..

The end result depends on the amount of time you invest seeking out THE best donors you can find, sometimes it takes me a whole weekend of looking to find the right ones....

It's not rocket science but if one thinks you just go & grab the first set you see, I can practically gaurantee you'll be dissappointed...

Chris (csjumper2003) & myself

just got back from wrecking yard with a monster set of rear springs off a commercial grade Chevy S-10 flatbed, 3/4- possibly 1 ton rating, heres what they look like now

got these suckas' clamped up & ready to dissasemble for prep.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaTRD View Post
pass the popcorn Dave, getting hungry too...

Ok already clamped so time to break'em down, sometimes a little persuasion is needed for these axle pins..

still keeping the springs securely clamped after the axle alignment pin is removed, the factory spring clamps are cut in a manner as to using them later maybe..

Old 12-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
Commercial grade and S-10 are mutually exclusive terms in my book. Good luck with the new springs!
Old 12-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
We'll be discarding these old pins of course for new ones, & why not they're only about $ 7.00 or $8.00 for a set at your local ORW or similiar..

Old 12-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
And Pugga caught me gettin' careless about eye protection from an earlier post... good lookin' out dude...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k8b4sPOiAE?version=3

Lookin good man! Gotta keep safe so you can keep messing with your truck!
Old 12-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

true dat' brotha ,,,,

& I mean ya know this is no state of the art,new to industry kind of thing but I'd be damned if I was gonna just throw these on without prettying them up some so a wire wheel on a cordless did just fine (besides you gotta clean them up to see what yer working with)

Old 12-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottri View Post
Commercial grade and S-10 are mutually exclusive terms in my book. Good luck with the new springs!
Same thing that came to my mind- I'm still curious to see how the stance is after the swap. Also, what year S10?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
subbed!
Old 12-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
Same thing that came to my mind- I'm still curious to see how the stance is after the swap. Also, what year S10?
You'll be able to see finished product tomorrow as I scheduled Chris for the morning, as for the year I'm gonna say mid 90's but like I said by "commercial rated" this is pretty unique dont see alot of 1 ton flatbed S-10's running around...

Toyota used to make a 1 ton flatbed as well in late 80's early 90's I believe... (Hmmmm, 1 ton Toyota springs, got me thinking again)
Old 12-22-2011, 07:03 PM   #12
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Chris (csjumper2003) & myself

just got back from wrecking yard with a monster set of rear springs off a commercial grade Chevy S-10 flatbed, 3/4- possibly 1 ton rating, heres what they look like now

got these suckas' clamped up & ready to dissasemble for prep.
Doug, that's a nice lookin' spring pack. Looks like the main leaf is wider than the rest of the pack.
What length donor spring do you look for when you're rebuilding a 2nd gen Taco spring ?
Old 12-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
Doug, that's a nice lookin' spring pack. Looks like the main leaf is wider than the rest of the pack.
What length donor spring do you look for when you're rebuilding a 2nd gen Taco spring ?

Oh yeah its a beautiful pack with alot of life left in them & the main leaf is just loose & at angle I think , but they are all equal width.

As far as donor lengths , it varies as to what the owner wants, so far the ones I've done the guys weren't so concerned about getting lift , they just wanted the fucking sloppy,soft, forever bottoming out B.S. to stop...... I don't blame them & Toyota should be ashamed of itself, a far cry from the nice firm "Truck" suspension the older Toys had (pre 95')
Old 12-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #14
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
getting ready to do this myself
Old 12-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #15
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Now chris's truck has the TSB springs with a 1" leveling block in the rear,

his springs are almost flat even with the TSB & I've wheeled with him so I know he doesn't bash his shit ANYTHING like I do, pretty sad

We're going for an approx 2"-2.5" lift to level him back up with his fronts

Now Adam (tmectaco79) is going for a 3" lift in rear

(Adam correct me if I'm wrong)

also doing away with a rear leveling block IIRC
Old 12-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #16
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Lets look at the magical "Diamond cut." The big boys all talk about....

BFG (Big Fuckin' Deal)

All a diamond cut refers to is a mitered cut at the ends of the leafs that I've been doing to steel & sheetmetal for the last 25 years, except we always called it "Dog earring" (any tin knockers out there know what I'm talking about)

Its just trimming the corners off at roughly 30 degrees (give or take.. )

Old 12-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #18
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post

I love this arc...

Tell ya what... I'm thinking about Chevy springs now....
Old 12-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #19
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
very nice......keep em coming
Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #20
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Nice arc
what does the diamond cut do to the springs?

Products Discussed in this Thread