Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

New Lift Questions

Old 12-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed
=JSG='s Tacoma Gallery
New Lift Questions

What is installed:

- Bilstein 5100 front/rear
- Eibach Coils
- 2" Toytec AAL
- Front Diff drop

After the lift:

Trucks rides great in the city but on the highway at 70+ MPH I notice my steering wheel tugs right and left.

Shop said I am at the maximum setting even though I told them not to exceed 2.5" because I want to keep my stock UCAs. I told them about the issue they said it sounds like wheel balance is off. I am not sure how high I am but it looks like 3"

Question:

- Is this because of my stock UCAs? or is it just my wheel balance? Alignment shop did not put weights on the outside ( Wheel: Pro Comp 7089)

Truck with the lift before I get bigger tires:

Old 12-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Did the shop use the highest perch setting on the 5100s with the Eibach coils? That will give you excessive lift. Take a photo so we can see how many snap ring grooves are showing above the perch.

Ask your alignment shop for the result sheet and see how much caster you have. If it's near zero, then UCAs are the answer to get more caster.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by =JSG= View Post
Shop said I am at the maximum setting even though I told them not to exceed 2.5" because I want to keep my stock UCAs.

Can you post a copy of your alignment report ?
Your pic looks like you're over 3" in the front.
Might want to check those half shaft (CV) angles, too.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
As above , your caster is probably maxxed out on your stock UCA's
Old 12-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed
=JSG='s Tacoma Gallery
Pictures have been updated above
Old 12-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #6
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pictures have been updated above
Looks like you're at the highest setting on the Bilstein.
The lowest (0.0) or second (.85) setting is most commonly done with the Eibachs.
Can't see your halfshafts (CV's).

1. You're way high for this type of lift
2. I'll bet your caster number is way low
3. You might have to go to aftermarket UCA's
4. You might also have to find an alignment shop that is familiar with lifted vehicles
5. Caster needs to be between 2.4 and 3.1
Old 12-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
The Eibachs by themselves usually provide 3" & I see your not set at 0' as you should be, 5100's are always set at 0' w/Eibachs for 1st @ 2nd gens.

lower your ride hight & live happy forever.....
Old 12-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
USCoastGuard12 is on a distinguished road

Name: Conner
USCoastGuard12's Tacoma Gallery
maybe balance the tires.So it doesnt tug
Old 12-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
=JSG='s Tacoma Gallery
Alright, Im gon go tell the shop to fix it for free. Is it safe to drive? Also how does the CV look?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #10

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Alright, Im gon go tell the shop to fix it for free.
Keep a close eye on them if they set up Eibachs and Bilsteins like this.

Quote:
Also how does the CV look?
Can't see enough in the pic, plus they will improve once they set you up correctly.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:09 AM   #11
=JSG='s Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, jflan. Is it safe to drive this truck on the highway?
Old 12-24-2011, 05:57 AM   #12
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
The spring perch is on the 2nd highest setting, which provides 1.75" lift on its own with stock springs, according to Bilstein's instructions:
http://cart.bilsteinus.com/pdfs/E4-WM5-Y323A00.pdf

The Eibachs are sized for 1.6" lift on their own, according to Toytec's page:
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

Stack these together and you are at about 3.4", which is too high, as evidenced by the severe (and destructive) angle at the inboard CV boots.

Go back to the shop and get them to move the spring perch to the 3rd highest setting, which gives 0.85" lift. 0.85" + 1.6" = about 2.5". When they do the alignment, ask them to maximize caster, even if it results in slight positive camber.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #13
=JSG='s Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, will I need new UCAs even at 2.5"?
Old 12-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #14
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
The stock UCAs will be a compromise at 2.5" - the shop can adjust the LCA cams to maximize caster, but they won't reach the desirable 3 deg., and in the process will end up with some positive camber, which is not good for handling. In the end it depends on what you can live with. Steering feel won't be as good as stock height, but an improvement over what you have now.

If you decide to go for UCAs, go to a better shop. If they can butcher a simple strut lift like this, I wouldn't trust them with UCAs. The uniball UCAs require more care at installation than stock UCAs, and even Toyota dealers can't always do them correctly.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #15
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
The Eibachs by themselves usually provide 3" & I see your not set at 0' as you should be, 5100's are always set at 0' w/Eibachs for 1st @ 2nd gens.

lower your ride hight & live happy forever.....
That's on a 1st gen .

They provide 1.6" on the 2nd gens

on the 2nd gens the billies can be at .85 , lots running that set up .
Old 12-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #16
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
That's on a 1st gen .

They provide 1.6" on the 2nd gens

on the 2nd gens the billies can be at .85 , lots running that set up .

You are right great OZ, I keep forgetting about the difference's with plastic gens.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #17
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^Plastic doesn't rust; those of us outside the desert states can appreciate that.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #18
=JSG='s Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have a decent pair of UCAs? Someone recommend me good shop in Bellingham WA.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I went with LR UCA's because I wanted a sealed ball joint for my winter driving conditions .
Old 12-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #20
=JSG='s Tacoma Gallery
Sounds good thanks, I will update the photos when I get the shocks installed correctly. Any idea how much it costs to get UCAs installed and I'm guessing will need alignment again.