Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

UCA question

Old 12-31-2011, 12:03 AM   #1
rhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Robert
rhowell's Tacoma Gallery
UCA question

Looking at doing a lift. Even though I am aiming for a 2.5 to 3" lift my kcal 4x4 shop recommended I don't bother with new UCA due to the conditions here in Canada. He mentioned that they were not sealed and prone to dirt and salt.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
LR UCA's have a sealed / booted balljoint .

I got mine for our winter road conditions
Old 12-31-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I think if you can afford it , it makes sense to do it all at once especially if you are going over 2 1/2"

The LR don't offer the same amount of articulation as the uniball type UCA's but are adjustable and being a booted / sealed balljoint are better suited for our winter conditions .

I'm in the Southern Gulf Islands
Old 12-31-2011, 05:22 AM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhowell View Post
Looking at doing a lift. Even though I am aiming for a 2.5 to 3" lift my kcal 4x4 shop recommended I don't bother with new UCA due to the conditions here in Canada. He mentioned that they were not sealed and prone to dirt and salt.
When chris4x4 gets here he'll tell you about the uniball set up he ran with concrete and water on the ball. As long as you are keeping them reasonably clean....It shouldn't be an issue either way.

And I would totally recommend getting them if it's in your budget. You can do it the toher way...but you may find yourselg with a truck you can't align and then you gotta order them and do some of the work over again.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:05 AM   #8
rhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Robert
rhowell's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks fr the responses. I like to do things right the first time so it looks like UCA for me.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:55 AM   #9
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Your shop is not informed.

In addition to the Light Racing/SPC part there is also the ball joint version of the Camburg UCA. They ship without BJ's so you reuse yours, or go to Moog or Raybestos ball joints.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:17 AM   #10

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
It really comes down to your intended use of your truck OP , if you are going to be crawling all over rocks and serious offroad shit , you will benefit from the increased articulation of a uniball type of UCA at the compromise of it being more maintenance in our winter conditions .

If your main goal is to insure a good alignment after lift , a sealed / boited balljoint type UCA is more protected against the elements at the compromise of slightly less articulation .