Notices

Shocks for unknown lift?

Old 11-25-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK is on a distinguished road
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BrianPK
Shocks for unknown lift?

So, i bought my truck with a lift already installed.

i think it's a fabtec lift, but i'm not totally sure. looks like all the lifting was done with the springs, and the body lift.

i'm sure i need new shocks all around, but i'm not sure what i need... what can i do?

i've read a lot about the bilstein 5100's...

i like to take my rig trail running and hill climbing and stuff... what do i need to get that ball rolling?
Old 11-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianPK View Post
So, i bought my truck with a lift already installed.

i think it's a fabtec lift, but i'm not totally sure. looks like all the lifting was done with the springs, and the body lift.

i'm sure i need new shocks all around, but i'm not sure what i need... what can i do?

i've read a lot about the bilstein 5100's...

i like to take my rig trail running and hill climbing and stuff... what do i need to get that ball rolling?
how high is your truck sitting..........how much of a lift is on it?? the 5100's may be fine for you.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:58 AM   #3
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
as best as i can tell, it looks like i have 3 inches lift suspensionwise, and then another 3 body lifted
Old 12-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
sorry for the delay

here are the pics. got the front, the bad ball joint, and the rear.

hopefully these will help

i hope y'all can help me out here... Big overhaul starts today

ps: sorry for the mud, it rained here all weekend... couldn't help myself.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
by the blue coils, i assume it is the Fabtech dirt logics...

there have been many in the past who had issues with their older generation coilovers...

the adjustable 5100s are supposed to be pretty good, however, you will need your stock coils (non TRD are the better ride), but since you dont have them anymore, you may have to look into a whole new set of adjustable coilovers...

if you got the money, Icon, King, Camburg, SAWs, and Fox are great options...

check out http://www.wheelersoffroad.com for some good package deals...
Old 12-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
by the blue coils, i assume it is the Fabtech dirt logics...

there have been many in the past who had issues with their older generation coilovers...

the adjustable 5100s are supposed to be pretty good, however, you will need your stock coils (non TRD are the better ride), but since you dont have them anymore, you may have to look into a whole new set of adjustable coilovers...

if you got the money, Icon, King, Camburg, SAWs, and Fox are great options...

check out http://www.wheelersoffroad.com for some good package deals...
just a heads up, since you mentioned it...................and for the guy that posted this thread...........i have the stock trd coils off my 04 trd double cab...........if he needs these, im looking to sell them. had them listed in the buy/sale/trade forum for a while. they only have 46k miles on them.

these should add a bit of height to the xtra cab.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, i remember it said fabtec somewhere in the blue part, and the shocks themselves say fox on them.

to tacomaman06: are the doublecab springs stronger than the extracab ones? i take my truck off road a lot... and will a lot more once things are fixed... how will they hold up compared to what i've got?

what are you looking to get for them? i might be interested if it'll help my rig.

to Killer Red Taco: Nice to meet someone from my neck of the woods! i drive all over town so it's very possible you've seen me around. i'm not hard to spot... look for the cb antenna hanging off the driver side of my bed. lol

i'm not really worried about ride quality... more for offroad performance. i would have kept my 96 2wd if i wanted comfort... lol
Old 12-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #10
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
also... i Do not want to loose any lift... i'm very happy with my ride height....
Old 12-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #11
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
You can check and see if the fabtech dirt logic coilovers you have in front are rebuildable
Old 12-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #12
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
i don't think the shocks themselves are fabtec... i haven't had any problems with them as of yet...

matter of factly... i'm not 100% sure they need replacing... they have a valve on them, i assume it's for filling them? nitro shocks maybe?

i know the rears are blown... they're leaking from the time i went car crushing and over compressed them. shouldn't i replace all four if i'm doing it at all? i might need new leafs too... they squeak pretty bad.

like i said though... i do not want to loose any lift. i like my height... 3 inches sus, plus 3 body... i'd love to go full 6 suspension wise, but it's expensive... and i'm a lil worried about things like wheel articulation, and strength... i can be tough on my rig.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #13
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

Yeah if you dont see the fronts leaking, id leave them alone, or to make yourself feel better u can go get the fronts serviced(re-filled or charged) and go with some bilstein 5125's for the rear
Old 12-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #14
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
are the 5125's going to work for my suspension setup?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #15

Quote:
yeah, i remember it said fabtec somewhere in the blue part, and the shocks themselves say fox on them.

to tacomaman06: are the doublecab springs stronger than the extracab ones? i take my truck off road a lot... and will a lot more once things are fixed... how will they hold up compared to what i've got?

what are you looking to get for them? i might be interested if it'll help my rig.

to Killer Red Taco: Nice to meet someone from my neck of the woods! i drive all over town so it's very possible you've seen me around. i'm not hard to spot... look for the cb antenna hanging off the driver side of my bed. lol

i'm not really worried about ride quality... more for offroad performance. i would have kept my 96 2wd if i wanted comfort... lol
well, im not sure if the are per say stronger, but they provide a bit more lift, so that may equal a little more strength. you could use my coils and a set of billy 5100's with some trim packers, and i think the height would probably be same as what you have now. for these coils...............in my thread on the buy/sale/trade forum, i was asking $40 plus shipping, but that is negotiable for sure......i just need the cash and need to get these outta here.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:24 PM   #16

Quote:
are the 5125's going to work for my suspension setup?
what is the rear setup now??
Old 12-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #17
Taco Traitor!

Itll work. The 5125's are extended length for lifted trucks
Old 12-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #18
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
sounds good man, i'll take them

you got paypal? what's it going to cost to have them shipped to 95357?