Notices

Pro's Con's of a 3" or 6" lift

View Poll Results: What lift do you prefer
6 inch 290 23.50%
3 inch 944 76.50%
Voters: 1234. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #261
3 7 Mafia
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Blacktacoma23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsand View Post
Nice thread guys, its very informational. i like to lift my taco 6" but after reading this thread I'm going for 3-4". so i am thinking going with camburg spindle and upper arm with coil over. what u guys think?
Very nice, Im assuming your 2WD?
Old 03-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #262
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
If you're 2wd, spindle lift is the way to go!
Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #263
madsand is on a distinguished road

Name: sandy
madsand's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktacoma23 View Post
Very nice, Im assuming your 2WD?
ok my is truck is 4wd. that means i cant lift my truck by changing the spindle?
that means i can only use upper arm?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #264
3 7 Mafia
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsand View Post
ok my is truck is 4wd.
No spindle lift for you.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #265
NW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NW4RUNNER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
All in all, i'd like to get a 6" Fabtech basic lift and run some Bilstein 5100's under the front at the .85" lift to get about 7" total and then add some 35's..... all for the offroad, looks, and cost perspectives.
Agree with this. I have a 5" drop bracket lift but put aftermarket coilovers for some increased ground clearance for a total of slightly over 6" up front. If I could redo it, I'd go with a simple coilover 1-3" lift kit.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #266
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
My goal is to just add 4" spindles and a hybrid bumper to my already 3" lift and then maybe 35's. I just don't see the need for a 6" lift, not that I'm hatin on it cause they look sexy if done right. I just don't want it for my needs. My 3" suits me just fine, the spindles, bumper, and 35's are solely for the looks because I like the way it looks. In the end you can only decide what you want, don't let anyone else decide it for your, it is YOUR truck afterall.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #267
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
3" & big tires= you're awesome

6" & any tires=lame
Old 03-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #268
3 7 Mafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
6" & any tires=lame

Old 03-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #269
NW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DB vs No DB has to be one of the most controversial topics on the entire site. At some point it just doesn't fu&king matter. IMO
Old 03-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #270
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4RUNNER View Post
DB vs No DB has to be one of the most controversial topics on the entire site. At some point it just doesn't fu&king matter. IMO
Agreed! Its all about what each individual has for needs & wants.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #271
nuckin futs member
RIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Stefan
RIDDICK3's Tacoma Gallery
can you run 16 inch wheels with a 2nd gen 6 inch lift? or does it have to 17 or bigger
Old 03-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #272
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDDICK3 View Post
can you run 16 inch wheels with a 2nd gen 6 inch lift? or does it have to 17 or bigger
I do but you must run 1.25" wheel spacers and wheels must have 4.5" back spacing. The kits say you can't do this....a few have though.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #273
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDDICK3 View Post
You can run 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 22s, 24s if you want! You don't new a lift to run different size wheels.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #274
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You can run 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 22s, 24s if you want! You don't new a lift to run different size wheels.
Check yo facts.

If you have a DB lift, they say you need 17" plus to avoid VSC issues.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #275

Quote:
You have change calipers to run smaller than 17 on the new 4 runners. I'm guessing that's not the case for new tacoms
Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 AM   #276
dstock is on a distinguished road
Marines: Cpl 1345
Name: David
dstock's Tacoma Gallery
Okay here I go... I have an 2011 taco 4x4 dcsb. After reading almost every post in this thread I still cannot decide if I want to go with a 3in mid travel coil over kit or a 6 in db kit. I want to be able to run 33's if I go with the 3 inch kit but I hate the idea of having to trim shit on my truck to make them fit. And with the db kit i would run 35's. Would i still have to trim to make them fit? I hate the idea of having to cut out the cross member as well. I am almost to the point were I want to flip a coin. Can someone help me make up my mind?
Old 03-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #277
BORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
BORNWILDGUY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstock View Post
Okay here I go... I have an 2011 taco 4x4 dcsb. After reading almost every post in this thread I still cannot decide if I want to go with a 3in mid travel coil over kit or a 6 in db kit. I want to be able to run 33's if I go with the 3 inch kit but I hate the idea of having to trim shit on my truck to make them fit. And with the db kit i would run 35's. Would i still have to trim to make them fit? I hate the idea of having to cut out the cross member as well. I am almost to the point were I want to flip a coin. Can someone help me make up my mind?
First I would figure out what tire you want to run and then go from there. Even if going with a 6" I think some are having to do some minor trimming running 35's. 33's IMO are a perfect size for the tacoma. There are pro's and con's to both kits. I prefer the drop bracket kits myself as they keep all your tierod, cv angles like stock and don't having to replace the uca's.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #278

If you have the money for a DB wait and or save and put a nice single axle up front then run what size you want. Soooo wish I would have done this.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #279
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

Army: veterans affairs
Xer0 SiN's Tacoma Gallery
ive been through three different lift kits since i purchased my 2013 trd off road in december:
1) bilstein 5100 with eibach coils notched to 1.75 and toytec aal in the rear.
2) icon extended travel 3.5 front coilovers with icon 2.5 rear shock and dakar leafs w/ overload in the rear.
3) pro comp basic drop bracket (icon suspension pending cause it never made it in time for install)

this is my take on the three that i have bought. the billies is a good budget option, you might be able to get away with 285s with some cutting of this and that. it basically looks like a stock height truck with anything you do.i always had people asking me if this was the stock height; kinda annoying lol. the icon setup definately sits higher than the billie setup, you definately can do 285s with very LIGHT trimming. i honestly could have gotten away without cutting it cause it just BARELY touched where i had to trim, probably due to the tread lugs on the mud terrain im using. the drop bracket lift is the head turner. people are gonna look at your sexy beast. even the lay people will know youre lifted. truck looks aggressive now. theres a big debate on wheeling with 6" truck--rest assure people do all the time. you will easily clear 285s. people go to 35s but im comfortable sticking with 33s.

short version:
5100- budget, stock looking, no spacers
icon w/dakar- little bit pricey, looks good, no spacers, cv angles in question
procomp- very pricey, (especially if you went with the icon, or other suspension to get rid of the barrel spacer in front and the procomp shock in the rear), head turner, basic=spacers, cv angles reset
Old 06-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #280
BroBraBlahBlah

If you want do real offroad, technical, rocks whatever, do not get a drop bracket. Message reeeno403 if you want first hand. He has a pro comp DB and it ripping it off for LT.