1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pro's Con's of a 3" or 6" lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by NiceTaco, Nov 25, 2008.

?

What lift do you prefer

1. 6 inch

293 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. 3 inch

953 vote(s)
    76.5%
  1. Nov 28, 2008 at 2:46 PM
    RedTaco2134

RedTaco2134 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Portland, Or
    Vehicle:
    08 Long Bed TRD Sport
    295/70/17 Cooper STT Pro, Revtek 3" lift. TSB rear and Blistein 5100's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3097063
    IMHO, 6" hands down. Though I do not have a 6" lift. I would like one, and if I could do it again, I would have saved for a 6", TC or LR UCA's, 36's, and deavs out back. I just think that 3" is just a waste of my time, and money. Just My Opinion though.

2. Nov 29, 2008 at 8:42 AM
    dabighi

dabighi Well-Known Member

Member:
    anyone know how to get ahold of a set of allied's 3" lift spindles?

3. Nov 29, 2008 at 8:59 AM
    Garrett Timmerman

Garrett Timmerman Active Member

Member:
    North Augusta, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2000 ext. cab lift 33" BFG a/t
    *33" BFG all terrains *15" Mickey Thompson rims *straight dual exhaust *K&N air filter
    man, from what it sounds like your not going to be doing any major heavy duty off roadin. a 3" lift with some 33's is all you will ever need. i have 4" of lift on my taco and 33x12.50x15 BFGs on my truck and i have gone everywhere that all of my friends have gone with their 6" and 8" lift kits

4. Nov 29, 2008 at 11:00 AM
    dabighi

dabighi Well-Known Member

Member:
    thanks for your opinion.but truth is i really like the way the tacomas stand after 6" on 35's. and your probably right. but seeing as how i like that look, im not gonna stop from looking around and researching what i can do to achieve that. so my question still stands. anyone know how to get a hold of allied spindles or any other 3" lift spindle.

please keep in mind im not trying to start an arguement over who should get which lift or what not. im just like everyone else on here trying to make my truck mine.(or pretend its the only one out there like that anyway).

5. Nov 29, 2008 at 11:30 AM
    SilverSeven

SilverSeven Rock Solid Toy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordon
    South Jurzee
    Vehicle:
    6" 35s mud and scratched to shit
    the allied spindles only work with 2wd

also, I was in the same boat when i got my truck, I went 6", I love the way it looks, but now i want Long Travel so that I can actually get improved performance out of my truck.

the only advantage i have offroad over stock is tire size and axle to axle ground clearance. You can get almost 5" out of allpro's new longtravel kit and you will have a huge edge on performance over most.

The only problem is those kits cost 4 grand for everything and the Drop brackets are like 1 thousanad ... then you gotta figure wheels and tires, which on the LT you can run 15" steelies and 35s so youd be around 2gs, so 6,000 total , but on the DB lift you have to run at leaste 17" wheels so your tire and wheel cost will be higher, probably around 2500, so about 3500 bucks.... around half the cost of the LT but about 1/4 the performance.

6. Dec 2, 2008 at 7:30 PM
    edwinalink

edwinalink robo-ninja

Member:
    utah
    Vehicle:
    Soma Groove
    Its a bicycle.
    how much lift does a TC LT actually give a vehicle (not space for the tire, actual height with the appropriate tires)???

and is there a suitable leaf option out back for those who dont want to chop into our beds?

because 5000+,+,+... on the front is bad enough! and i will need to use the bed often....

oh, whatever 05+ taco i get will be 4x4 and wheeled in dirt roads/trails in the summer and uncleared snow buriedroads in the winter.

and a bit off topic. is there a bolt on flare option for the TC LT? i dont like cutting off sheet metal!

any info is appreciated!

7. Dec 2, 2008 at 8:02 PM
    Downsouth Motorsports

Downsouth Motorsports Downsouth Motorsport Vendor

Member:
    Mission Valley, San Diego
    2017 4-Runner Dirt King Long Travel King 2.5 Coil-Over / 2.5 Bypass Front and Rear ICON Rear Upper and Lower Arms ICON Rear 2" Springs 285 x 70 x 17 Toyo Tires on 17" x 8" ICON Wheels
    Chaos LT Specs:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Vehicle Specs:[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Lift:[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]4"
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Wheel Travel: [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]13"
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Sug. Tire Size:[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]33X10.5 or 285/75/R16

Now they have their 3.5" fab spindles if your looking for height. Another option as opposed to a cradle style 6" lift like a ProComp or Fabtech is the spindles and either a Coil-Over or replacement strut. The advantage is having greater ground clearance over the stock replacement shocks and huge difference on lower controll arm drop style lifts. I am not a fan of body lifts and not having the huge fender well gaps and exposed frame rails. I guess it all comes down to what you plan to do with your ride- Off Road and Body Lifts dont mix.

[​IMG]

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]
    [/FONT]

8. Dec 8, 2008 at 10:23 AM
    Bearskill

Bearskill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    This is just my opinion, but you should eather go 3'' or long travel. Most 6'' lifts are drop bracket lifts. Your truck will be 6'' higher, but the drop bracket is at the same hifgt as your stock point was. It's no better than a body lift. I have seen 6'' lifts whare my 3'' has more center ground clearance. I know Total Chaos has a 4'' spindle lift, wich is sick! I dont know if you can add more lift to that to get your 6'', but it would be way better than a drop bracket that you could catch on the first rock you come to. Just my opinion though.

9. Dec 8, 2008 at 10:26 AM
    Downsouth Motorsports

Member:
    2017 4-Runner Dirt King Long Travel King 2.5 Coil-Over / 2.5 Bypass Front and Rear ICON Rear Upper and Lower Arms ICON Rear 2" Springs 285 x 70 x 17 Toyo Tires on 17" x 8" ICON Wheels
    that's why i said the 3.5" lift spindles and a coil over and UCA- its twice the ground clearance of a cradle kit- read above...

10. Dec 8, 2008 at 11:02 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    all this lift spindle talk applies to Pre-Runners only right?

11. Dec 8, 2008 at 7:29 PM
    Downsouth Motorsports

Member:
    Ya- 2WD only. The craftsmanship of the spindles are top notch! Unlike the old school casted spindles we all know from the 90's these are hand assembled and welded. I was up at KING and one of their employees has a 07 Prerunner with a set of the spindles, TC upper arm and KING 2.5" coil overs. It looked amazing- huge amount of ground clearance and cleared 35's with ease.

12. Dec 11, 2008 at 7:51 PM
    edwinalink

edwinalink robo-ninja

Member:
    utah
    Vehicle:
    Soma Groove
    Its a bicycle.
    thats great for the twofers... but a rear wheel drive + utah snow =WOW, look how dead i am!

for those of us in need of 4X4, i gotta agree with the 3 inch or LT route.

13. Dec 19, 2008 at 4:19 PM
    SilverSeven

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordon
    South Jurzee
    Vehicle:
    dont be too scared of the DB 6" lifts.. The GC between front tires is the same as stock with stock tires, but when you put the 35s your gaining almost 3" of height in there and the GC between axles is 8" higher with 35"s.

My DB will be replaced with a SAS in 1 or 2 years, but for now im going to Coilovers and camburg UCAs, I will have 10.5" of travel up front, 35s, and 4.88s... my rig will be way more capable than any 3" kit... Plus my center of G is still good.

6" isnt as bad as people like to make it out to be, they are mostly scared to cut X member and thats more of a "balls" issue than anything

14. Dec 19, 2008 at 4:33 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    X2. Long travel is the way to go, and SAC is great in the rocks.

15. Dec 19, 2008 at 5:28 PM
    SilverSeven

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordon
    South Jurzee
    Vehicle:
    yeah, i hear the argument against, im just lettin him know that it aint that bad.. i wheel my shit more than most and i tear it up... havnet been held up my the db yet knock on wood..

3" seemed like a waste of money to me when i got my lift... If i didnt want to do db i would have saved for LT or SAS... but I wasnt going to spend 4 gs to get 3" of lift

16. Dec 19, 2008 at 6:37 PM
    SilverSeven

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordon
    South Jurzee
    Vehicle:
    Well either way... My truck works well.. I dont know what kind of wheeling you do, but the shit ive put my truck through is no joke and the Lift has held up good.

Obviously a sas or LT is better, but not everyone can drop the cheddar for something like that.

As far as the x memberr, i got to cut it anyway for my sas, so no waste there.

17. Feb 11, 2009 at 9:50 AM
    NicksRig

NicksRig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kenora, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Blacked out Skid plate, block heater, bug deflector, blacked out headlights, tinted fronts, OME 3" lift, Toytec AAL, Revenge-Fab Sliders, K&N Air Filter
    I like the look of a 3 inch lift. 6 looks a little much unless doing some serious off roading.

18. Feb 26, 2009 at 4:35 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    I did the Rev Tech 3"-1" 17" MOTO METALS with 285 BFGOODRICH all terrains and it has done everything I have ever asked it to. I dont off-road it hard core so I didn't really need the 6" lift. The truck spends the majority of the time on the road. I love it and love the look of it.

19. Mar 27, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    DLPerry432la

DLPerry432la 07La

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Downtown LA
    Vehicle:
    07 Pre-Runner SR-5 TRD Off Road 2 X 4
    All Eligible Factory TSB's performed. Sway Away Race Runner Adjustable Front Coil-Overs, Bilstein 5100's in the rear with Deaver 3703-K33 Leafs, Camburg UCA's and 4" Drop Spindles, Pro-Comp Extreme 285/75/16 Tires 33", on Moto Metal Wheels,AIRAID Cool Air Intake, Pioneer 6100 AM/FM/CD/Satellite Radio, HID Headlamps Hi-/Lo

I had the rear leaf TSB performed a few weeks ago. Then to level out the truck, I bought and installed 2.25" ReadyLift strut extensions and SpiderTrax 1.25" wheel spacers.

I assumed 33" tires would be ok.. I assumed wrong...

I purchased and installed a new set of 285/75R16 ProComp Extreme A/T's and had the front end aligned. The Tire O/D is nearly 33".

Now there is some clearance/rubbing issues with the front fender wells. I removed the mud flaps from the front fender wells, but still get a bit of rub on the remaining fender well at the bottom when the wheel is turned. I Was thinking of trying to heat up the plastic and kind of re-shape it just a tad and see if that helps, but I am afraid that if I do any Off-Roading, there will be a bigger problem once the suspension is compressed.

I looked at the Chaos LT spindles as shown above and is seems this is my best solution for the front end. Pretty $$spendy$$ but it looks like they did their homework on the product. I may add the Billy 5100's later. In addition, looks like I will need to lift the rear somehow to level out the truck.

Any suggestions ? I thank all you guys for educating me..

20. Mar 28, 2009 at 8:05 AM
    allrsdup

allrsdup Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sahuarita AZ.
    Vehicle:
    2018 dcsb trd offroad 4x4 Inferno

i 100% agree with u. all my trucks have had db lifts and i would not waste my money on only 3" when for a few hundred more i can have 6"

Products Discussed in

To Top