Notices

Pro's Con's of a 3" or 6" lift

View Poll Results: What lift do you prefer
6 inch 290 23.50%
3 inch 944 76.50%
Voters: 1234. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #41
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
i think anything over 4" is pointless unless your going to be like mud bogging or crawling. And since you said you arent going to do and major off roading, the 3" will serve you the most purpose, i say if your going to go 6" (and not do any major off roading) get an f-350 and just jack that up... just my $.02

just go long travel
Old 03-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #42
canuck_tacoma will become famous soon enough
canuck_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Being from Toronto, I'm in Kelowna, you need to consider what you are going to be doing with your truck. Don't forget the winter driving and traffic jams.

If you're going to be just camping and fishing with your truck, hitting service roads and a little rougher get a 3" lift or lower with some 32's.

I think the best truck's on here are the ones with 3" lifts and running those 255/85/16 M/T's. They look very utility and tough. 6" lifts, to me, look like show trucks. Nice, but not purpose driven.

I just did a 2" spacer lift and don't like it, will be tossing in some coils that give me 1.5 to 2" of lift and will be running 32" BFG A/T's. This will keep my truck drivable in traffic, snow, but will give me some more clearance for forest service roads. I would love to run those 255/85/16 M/T's but they are not good on the ice and snow and I don't want to have to swap out to winter tires every winter.

There is no right answer to your question.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #43
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post

I think the best truck's on here are the ones with 3" lifts and running those 255/85/16 M/T's. They look very utility and tough. 6" lifts, to me, look like show trucks. Nice, but not purpose driven.

There is no right answer to your question.

x2
Old 03-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #44
Mall Cruiser Pilot
SuperD is a jewel in the roughSuperD is a jewel in the roughSuperD is a jewel in the roughSuperD is a jewel in the rough

SuperD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
6" lifts, to me, look like show trucks. Nice, but not purpose driven.
Sometimes the purpose can simply be it makes me smile like a schoolboy every time I go to get in it. Different priorities for different people.

In my area, there are no rocks to crawl on, mountains to climb, and not alot of trails that haven't been chewed up by trucks running 44" mudders or 4-wheelers. Usually, when I want to go off-roading, I take this....

and my truck, with the 6" lift, will pull the trailer to wherever that may be
Old 03-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #45
canuck_tacoma will become famous soon enough
canuck_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Don't get me wrong, I think the Tacoma's look awesome jacked up! Gives me the twitch in the pants. But for me I would go for the lower lift.

Just like I am attracted to dirty girls but I wouldn't get hitched to one.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #46
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I think the Tacoma's look awesome jacked up! Gives me the twitch in the pants. But for me I would go for the lower lift.

Just like I am attracted to dirty girls but I wouldn't get hitched to one.
That is quite the comparison, I might have to remember that one.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:17 AM   #47
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordon
SilverSeven's Tacoma Gallery
mmmmm sluts
Old 04-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #48
Mainland Newfie
mainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud of
mainland_newfie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent475 View Post
Saw this bumper sticker once... "Lift it. Fat chicks can't jump."
I want this bumper sticker or decal for my back window, but I'm also in canada and looking for a 3 inch lift. all for street driving, any ideas not looking for cheapest just want some ideas, I have another thread here for that too, just not many people writing to it
Old 04-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #49
hulusuit is on a distinguished road
hulusuit's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the FabTech 6". It drives great on and off-road. You won't be sorry.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:00 AM   #50
CJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to behold
Army: RN-Army Reserve 66H
Name: Clint
CJH9980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent475 View Post
Saw this bumper sticker once... "Lift it. Fat chicks can't jump."
Thats awesome
Old 04-30-2009, 11:23 AM   #51
hulusuit is on a distinguished road
hulusuit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJH9980 View Post
Thats awesome
Yah it's quite the head turner, let me tell you. Every lifted truck that passes me wants to race. It's pretty funny...
Old 06-07-2009, 02:14 AM   #52
Kenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant futureKenny650 has a brilliant future

Kenny650's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
Yeah, I'm still not sold on the 6" lifts. A SAS, yes, a 6" drop bracket, no thanks.
What's a drop bracket? Correct me if I am wrong, but, if your going with a 6" ProComp or Fabtech, you don't have to cut the crossmember. Right?
Old 06-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #53
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny650 View Post
What's a drop bracket? Correct me if I am wrong, but, if your going with a 6" ProComp or Fabtech, you don't have to cut the crossmember. Right?
A drop bracket is a large bracket that all the suspension parts mount to as part of the lift.

And I'm pretty sure there is notching or cutting involved with the 6" kits I've seen...
Old 06-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #54
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: LAR (Master Gunner/Instructor)
Name: Guy
gjbonner's Tacoma Gallery
I am in awe when i look at this post...I'm not trying to piss anyone off for sure, but I am from northern idaho in a little town called Pierce (pop 600 or so) next to a wilderness all the way to montana and we do some pretty severe wheeling. Nobody who is serious where i come from gets a 3" lift. that kind of lift is usually (not always)for the guys who either dont have the money or want too many things at once so they budge on the lift price to get exhausts too. you can not tell me that a 3" is better than a 6". however you can tell me that a 3" suits your purposes just fine and i will take that as reality but dont try to feed people that you can go anywhere a 6" can go. they didnt push thier trucks to thier limit if you were able to follow them. It's just common sense. again dont get me wrong, as i said it probably suits your purposes but a 6" inch is NOT just for show. they are the "go big or go home" guys/gals. I have nothing against 3" lifts just people trying to front that it will go just as many places as a 6". I'v been wheeling a long time. granted it was up north maybe different terrain than more south but never have i let a 3" keep up with me. lets keep in mind it all depends on the quality of the dirver and spotters of course No hard feelings guys I just couldnt believe the postings here.

Hopefuly this doesnt get me banished from TW, i love this place
Old 06-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #55
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbonner View Post
I am in awe when i look at this post...I'm not trying to piss anyone off for sure, but I am from northern idaho in a little town called Pierce (pop 600 or so) next to a wilderness all the way to montana and we do some pretty severe wheeling. Nobody who is serious where i come from gets a 3" lift. that kind of lift is usually (not always)for the guys who either dont have the money or want too many things at once so they budge on the lift price to get exhausts too. you can not tell me that a 3" is better than a 6". however you can tell me that a 3" suits your purposes just fine and i will take that as reality but dont try to feed people that you can go anywhere a 6" can go. they didnt push thier trucks to thier limit if you were able to follow them. It's just common sense. again dont get me wrong, as i said it probably suits your purposes but a 6" inch is NOT just for show. they are the "go big or go home" guys/gals. I have nothing against 3" lifts just people trying to front that it will go just as many places as a 6". I'v been wheeling a long time. granted it was up north maybe different terrain than more south but never have i let a 3" keep up with me. lets keep in mind it all depends on the quality of the dirver and spotters of course No hard feelings guys I just couldnt believe the postings here.

Hopefuly this doesnt get me banished from TW, i love this place
Actually, The "Go Big or Go Home" lift is an SAC. Any long travel lift is going to be much better than a 6" lift on the Tacoma. Being as a 6" lift, achieves its lift by dropping the front drive parts, and inserting spacers, or what not, you loose alot of strength, and ground clearance. The ground clearance is given back by the use of larger tires. In many cases, a good 3" lift gets you the same ground clearance under the front diff, and you can run 33" tires. 35" tires give you 1" more clearance than the 33" ones, and if 1" is the difference between getting over someting, and not, then your doing it wrong.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #56
white+Peal has a spectacular aura aboutwhite+Peal has a spectacular aura about

Name: Kris
white+Peal's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to white+Peal
i like the 6' lift but thats just me.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #57
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: LAR (Master Gunner/Instructor)
Name: Guy
gjbonner's Tacoma Gallery
I understand what your saying about about differential clearance and youre absolutely right but that should never be a problem if your wheeling right. clearance under the diffs is not as important as clearance under the center of your truck(even though it is a plus for sure). nobody gets a lift to get thier diff off the ground, thats what tires are for. and i understand that you get lift to get bigger tires as well but your diff is not really the idea here. if my tires are on the obstacle then im not worried about my diff cuz it is clearing(not always depending on the type of obstacle but most of the time yes). u can almost always get a tire over an obstacle but can your underneath clear it once your diff has passed? im just saying from experience that i have left many 3" lifts behind (of course we must consider driver error) but in TW it is to each his own so i'm just voiceing my opinion and confusion with what ive read. i jsut get the vibe that people feel thier 3" will take them further than a 6".

You can also take the go big or go home principle to the extreme if you want...i mean you could say why didnt i build a monster truck? there comes a point when center of gravity matters and i have always liked the 6 inch on my trucks. I will clear more than a 3" lift and this is a fact. But again to each his own. I guess this is one of those topics where you could talk about it forever and not get anywhere

Forgot to mention tires, which also matter a lot here when it comes to keeping up.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:07 AM   #58
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordon
SilverSeven's Tacoma Gallery
6" FTW

Old 06-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #59
SameOldTrik2 is on a distinguished road

SameOldTrik2's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2002 PreRunner & I have a 3" suspension lift with 33" tires & it rides great.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #60
Jazzfan has a spectacular aura aboutJazzfan has a spectacular aura aboutJazzfan has a spectacular aura about

Jazzfan's Tacoma Gallery
6" hands down!!!!