Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

drop bracket opinions/questions

Old 01-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
dommo is on a distinguished road
Army: Drill Sergeant
dommo's Tacoma Gallery
drop bracket opinions/questions

So I know the general consensus is that if you plan on actually wheeling your truck, drop bracket lifts suck...but why? Do they limit travel, ride like shit(which is realy only a problem on road anyways), is it something about driveline angle...what is it? I see tons of answers/responses saying how ghey db lifts are, but can't seem to find an answer as to why. Is it just the fact when you are talking a 6" lift+35" tires your cog is so much higher? I ask because I was looking at eventually throwing a 6" Fabtech or Pro Comp lift on, but I plan on wheeling the christ outta the truck, so I figured I would slow down and ask everyone their opinion. The end goal is to fit 35's, but not at the expense of travel, ride, etc. Let me know.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dommo View Post
but I plan on wheeling the christ outta the truck,
...Prerunner?

In any event:

- Higher COG.
- Less running clearance than 3" suspension lift.
- Inability to run a front skid leaves you vulnerable to all kinds of fun damage.

Only advantage DB lifts have is angles.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So I know the general consensus is that if you plan on actually wheeling your truck, drop bracket lifts suck...but why? Do they limit travel, ride like shit(which is realy only a problem on road anyways), is it something about driveline angle...what is it? I see tons of answers/responses saying how ghey db lifts are, but can't seem to find an answer as to why. Is it just the fact when you are talking a 6" lift+35" tires your cog is so much higher? I ask because I was looking at eventually throwing a 6" Fabtech or Pro Comp lift on, but I plan on wheeling the christ outta the truck, so I figured I would slow down and ask everyone their opinion. The end goal is to fit 35's, but not at the expense of travel, ride, etc. Let me know.
members have fit 35" tires on a 3" before, but it requires extensive cutting
Old 01-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
dommo is on a distinguished road
Army: Drill Sergeant
dommo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
...Prerunner?
Ahh, my mistake, I should have mentioned that I'm planning on buying another Tacoma shortly...this one, being 2wd, is going to stay completely stock. I'm ok with the higher center of gravity...sure, I would rather it stay lower, but I could deal with it. I don't want to start cutting too much on fenders, etc., if I could avoid it. And good point about front skid...didn't really think about that.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNothing321 View Post
members have fit 35" tires on a 3" before, but it requires extensive cutting
Moderate cutting.

"Extensive" cutting is removing the fenders altogether.

Quote:
Ahh, my mistake, I should have mentioned that I'm planning on buying another Tacoma shortly...this one, being 2wd, is going to stay completely stock. I'm ok with the higher center of gravity...sure, I would rather it stay lower, but I could deal with it. I don't want to start cutting too much on tenders, etc., if I could avoid it. And good point about front skid...didn't really think about that.
These trucks are prone enough to rollover as it is I think. No need for a COG 6 inches higher.

If you want to lift six inches or stuff something 35 or larger, you're better off just swapping axles anyway. These 2nd gen Tacomas don't have enough strength in the driveline to run anything larger than 35s...and you're testing your luck with 35s as it is on the stock gears.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Ahh, my mistake, I should have mentioned that I'm planning on buying another Tacoma shortly...this one, being 2wd, is going to stay completely stock. I'm ok with the higher center of gravity...sure, I would rather it stay lower, but I could deal with it. I don't want to start cutting too much on tenders, etc., if I could avoid it. And good point about front skid...didn't really think about that.
just stick with a 3" lift and 33" tires
Old 01-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
well i have a 6in lift. the only issue i feel would be the clearance of the front db, front diff, and rear axle. this issue can be somewhat eased with skid plates and larger tires to stand taller. yes it has a high cog. but overall clearance is great, rarely using sliders when stepping down, rocks passing tires.

the 3in does have slightly higher lower-crossmember section. but with the addition of large tires will have to be fabbing fenderwells, body mounts, etc. the cv angles stretch to max when suspension is fully decompressed, more than likely to cause premature wear/tear on boots. not to mention UCA, LCA, ball joints, etc.

if there is anything i forgot, dont hate please. its just my take on what ive been reading in forum.

but idk, i still bomb the rocks in my truck!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobo670 View Post
well i have a 6in lift. the only issue i feel would be the clearance of the front db, front diff, and rear axle. this issue can be somewhat eased with skid plates and larger tires to stand taller. yes it has a high cog. but overall clearance is great, rarely using sliders when stepping down, rocks passing tires.

the 3in does have slightly higher lower-crossmember section. but with the addition of large tires will have to be fabbing fenderwells, body mounts, etc. the cv angles stretch to max when suspension is fully decompressed, more than likely to cause premature wear/tear on boots. not to mention UCA, LCA, ball joints, etc.

if there is anything i forgot, dont hate please. its just my take on what ive been reading in forum.

but idk, i still bomb the rocks in my truck!
but if you build it right, you don't have to worry about those issues
Old 01-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
Phuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
Phuket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
just stick with a 3" lift and 33" tires
x2

you'll be way happier... for your prerunner think about spindle lifts. The spindle lift will allow for up to 4" lift and you can run a coilover at 0" behind it for superb ride quality.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
but if you build it right, you don't have to worry about those issues
true ... can be said about anything.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuket View Post
x2

you'll be way happier... for your prerunner think about spindle lifts. The spindle lift will allow for up to 4" lift and you can run a coilover at 0" behind it for superb ride quality.
Do a spindle lift.....utilize one of the only advantages the PR has over 4x4.
Done.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuket View Post
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
Do a spindle lift.....utilize one of the only advantages the PR has over 4x4.
Done.
Quote:
Ahh, my mistake, I should have mentioned that I'm planning on buying another Tacoma shortly...this one, being 2wd, is going to stay completely stock.
He's going to be getting a new truck soon and keeping the pre stock.
FWIW click this link about a drop bracket lift.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...05-tacoma.html
Old 01-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Moderate cutting.
These 2nd gen Tacomas don't have enough strength in the driveline to run anything larger than 35s...and you're testing your luck with 35s as it is on the stock gears.
I'm running 37's no problem on zero lift with a chaos long travel kit. Just have to trim a little. Drop bracket lifts will fold up like a lawn chair under a fat girl if you are hard on them, especially the way pro-comp and fabtec design them. You are also not gaining any wheel travel or performance whatsoever and really just getting the "look" with the added benefit of being easier to tip over than stock. That being said, my wifes chevy 2500HD has a DB lift (cognito, a very strong db kit designed correctly) and she loves it, but it's a disco truck and pretty much helpless in the dirt.

The wifeys mall crawler-
Old 01-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
I'm running 37's no problem on zero lift with a chaos long travel kit. Just have to trim a little. Drop bracket lifts will fold up like a lawn chair under a fat girl if you are hard on them, especially the way pro-comp and fabtec design them. You are also not gaining any wheel travel or performance whatsoever and really just getting the "look" with the added benefit of being easier to tip over than stock. That being said, my wifes chevy 2500HD has a DB lift (cognito, a very strong db kit designed correctly) and she loves it, but it's a disco truck and pretty much helpless in the dirt.

The wifeys mall crawler-
Dare I say that, that is a sexy Chevy.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #15
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
Dare I say that, that is a sexy Chevy.
I bet you don't say that after a couple miles of washboard road!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #16
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I bet you don't say that after a couple miles of washboard road!
Definitely! My truck nearly hops itself into the ditch if i go above 15mph on my road right now..... And I don't even have a db lift!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #18
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
...Prerunner?

In any event:

- Higher COG.
- Less running clearance than 3" suspension lift.
- Inability to run a front skid leaves you vulnerable to all kinds of fun damage.

Only advantage DB lifts have is angles.
THIS!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #19
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
username...I would bare your Tacomas children....just sayin'
Old 01-06-2012, 03:08 AM   #20
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, that's just ridiculously sick!

Quote: