1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Gen rear leaf removal questions

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by OutlawJas, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Jan 6, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    OutlawJas

OutlawJas [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Southeastern PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Stock Ext cab TRD 4x4
    2004 ExtCab TRD. 3+1 Leaf pack.

I am trying to replace my rear leaf's with new Stock height leaf springs. Getting the old ones out is as hard as I expected. I'm going to have to cut the eye bolts out on the front of the leafs. My questions is about the shackles. All the pictures of the stock shackles I have seen seem to be a pins that are attached to the one side of the shackle, run through the bushing of the spring and then out the other side of the shackle. If I cut through this Pin/Bolt in the back..am I looking at replacing the shackle or just the bolt?

Thanks for the help.

2. Jan 6, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    Shoot a PM to member 4WD if he doesn't chime in.
    He does these in his sleep.

3. Jan 6, 2012 at 9:13 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    The pins are pressed into the shackle plate (see attached). I think you need to replace the shackle. I doubt you can get a separate pin from the dealer (probably whole assembly only), and driving out the cut-off pin remainder and then matching a grade 8 bolt may be a time-consuming pain not worth the effort. See attached.

Attached Files:

4. Jan 6, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    OP, if i'm understading right, your problem is getting the eyelett w/bushing off the shackle pin, you do not have to cut your pins. the problem is thru time & the elements your bushing & pin have seemingly become one.

put a torch to the eyelett, get that rubber good & toasty & smack it hard with a single jack (BMFH) a couple times & it'll come off, then just hit the pin with some sand paper to remove any residue left behind, now if major rust is a factor i'd probably say go ahead & cut it out but if everything is basically ok no need to cut........;)

5. Jan 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    OutlawJas

OutlawJas [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Southeastern PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Stock Ext cab TRD 4x4
    Thanks guys. I will hopefully start on these this week. I'm more than familar with the BMFH method of doing things :eek:. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I can't wait to actually have springs that "spring".

Products Discussed in

To Top