LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear Bilstein 5100's upside down???

Old 11-27-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
bwhit is on a distinguished road
bwhit's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Bilstein 5100's upside down???

I was checking out a website at offroad.com and found an article on the install of some 5100's. The picture shows the shaft boot on the bottom. This was apparantly on a 1st gen taco. Is there something different between 1st and second. I just put my 5100's on my 07 with no instructions included from DSMS and put them on the same direction the stock Billys came off. Am I missing something here??

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Old 11-27-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhit View Post
I was checking out a website at offroad.com and found an article on the install of some 5100's. The picture shows the shaft boot on the bottom. This was apparantly on a 1st gen taco. Is there something different between 1st and second. I just put my 5100's on my 07 with no instructions included from DSMS and put them on the same direction the stock Billys came off. Am I missing something here??

Your not missing anything. You installed them the right way. Looks like the guy @ off-road wasnt paying attention. Cant say I havent done the same hing.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
My boot isnt on the bottom
Old 11-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
It really doesn't matter, it will still do its job whether the boot is facing up or down.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
It really doesn't matter, it will still do its job whether the boot is facing up or down.
Depending on the shock. Many times rebound is slower than the compresion dampening, so if the shock is fliped, for compresion, you now have the rebound dampening trying to control the spring. Its better to mount them propperly. Just my $0.02
Old 11-27-2008, 11:25 PM   #6
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
My 5125's came from toytech with the eye-to-stud adapter mounted on the opposite end of the boot. I installed mine with the boot at the bottom - should i reverse this? rides great the way it is..
Old 11-28-2008, 01:28 AM   #7
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhit View Post

Mine are mounted just like this ^^^ its the way they go on a first gen
Old 11-28-2008, 05:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
My 5125's came from toytech with the eye-to-stud adapter mounted on the opposite end of the boot. I installed mine with the boot at the bottom - should i reverse this? rides great the way it is..
Contact Bilstien and find out what the compression damping, and the rebound damping are on that shock. I cant find my info, but I belive the compression damping is speed sensative, and a slower damping rate (allowing fast spring movement), while the rebound is a single rate, and allows a slower spring movement. If thats the case, I would reverse them so the shock boot is "up".