Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Thud going over speedbump after lift

Old 01-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Geo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
Geo Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thud going over speedbump after lift

Ok,
At one point I found a thread talking about this exact problem, but for the life of me I cannot find the thread. I know, search... I have been and I'm not finding anything.
Onto the issue:
I have a 2011 DCSB that I just lifted with and OME kit.
OME 9000/885 front
OME n182 rear w/ 1.5" aal
ToyTec sway bar relocation kit

When going over a speedbump over 20 mph I hear a thud. I heard this before I put the sway bar relocation kit on and figured that it was the sway bar hitting the spring perch, but even with the kit it still makes the sound. These are relatively low/long type of speedbumps. I have also checked both front uca's to see if they are contacting the spring at full droop and I can fit just about my entire hand between the uca and coil.
Any thoughts?

Thank you for your input.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
probably the shock topping* out, happened to me ALL the time when I had the OME 3"

*topping out sorry, overextending
Old 01-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
can you determine if its from the front or rear?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Geo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Shock bottoming out... really, I guess I thought there would be a little more travel. I guess that the only "fix" is to not fly over the speedbumps, what fun is that
It is funny that this didn't occur with the stock off road bilsteins.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
I am almost positive that it is the front, you can hear it as the front goes over, before the back makes it over the bump.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
08pretaco, I followed you.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Taco View Post
Shock bottoming out... really, I guess I thought there would be a little more travel. I guess that the only "fix" is to not fly over the speedbumps, what fun is that
It is funny that this didn't occur with the stock off road bilsteins.
Those were not preloaded either. I mean thats what I experienced, does not necessarily mean thats what you are experiencing. Have you pulled extended your front suspension and checked for any metal on metal contact such as UCA on coils or anything like that?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
I tried to pull the suspension down, maybe I just didn't pull hard enough. Which could be that its the uca. I've been eyeing some LR uca's so this may be the push to go ahead and get them.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Ok, I think I found the culprit. I jacked the truck up, took the wheels off and found a small spot on the passenger coil where I think the uca is hitting. I am mobile at the minute and will post pics at some point. When looking at the coils the driver's side bottom end of coil it facing out. On the pass side the bottom end of the coil is facing in (towards the engine).

So, new question: will LR uca's solve this problem? Do they have more clearance btwn the uca and the coil when suspension droops?
Old 01-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok, I think I found the culprit. I jacked the truck up, took the wheels off and found a small spot on the passenger coil where I think the uca is hitting. I am mobile at the minute and will post pics at some point. When looking at the coils the driver's side bottom end of coil it facing out. On the pass side the bottom end of the coil is facing in (towards the engine).

So, new question: will LR uca's solve this problem? Do they have more clearance btwn the uca and the coil when suspension droops?
No, just turn turn the coil
Old 01-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
I'm guessing that would require a spring compressor. Just disassemble coilover and rotate spring, then reassemble. I purchased these assembled from ToyTec, hoping that I wouldn't have to deal with that.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
I'm guessing that would require a spring compressor. Just disassemble coilover and rotate spring, then reassemble. I purchased these assembled from ToyTec, hoping that I wouldn't have to deal with that.
Yep.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
Also, just to be sure... Would I need a new alignment? I'm guessing no b/c it shouldn't change any geometry.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #14

Marines:
Quote:
Also, just to be sure... Would I need a new alignment? I'm guessing no b/c it shouldn't change any geometry.
Correct
Old 01-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #15
Thanks 98tacoma27. The help is appreciated.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #16

Marines:
Old 01-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #17
Fast forward a week or so.... Go to Autozone, rent spring compressor... Get home, open up the storage bin underneath seats where I keep the key's for the stupid trd lug nut set and....... I can't find it anywhere....Gaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!! Just wanted to vent a little.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
Lug nut situation solved. Got the coil spun 180 deg. and the noise is still there over speedbumps. Which is a little bit of a bummer after about 2 hrs. worth of work. At this point the only thing I can think of is what has been stated above as over extension of the shock...
Old 01-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #19
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
You know I have the same type of problem except that it's coming from the rear. Happens every time I go over a bump and for the life of me I can't figure it out. Are you sure its not coming from the rear? I think it my bump stop or has something to do,with it or the dakars.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #20
I am gonna go out on a limb and say that I'm positive its from the front. The speed bumps here are the perfect size where you can feel the front go over the bump before the back has hit the bump at all. its a bit frustrating.