Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100 at 2.5

Old 01-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #21
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
And the ride isn't that bad just stiffer because of preload and less down travel thus hitting bumps at excessive speeds isnt comfortable. The benefit of having less body roll was worth it for me as well as added ground clearance
Old 01-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #22
togles is on a distinguished road
togles's Tacoma Gallery
Hey,

I have a 2011 long bed, just got it in Sep. I just installed the 5100's@2.5, and I am running 1.25 wheel spacers all the way around on the stock 17 inch sport rims. I re-used the stock coils. No changes in the rear. Im sitting a tad higher in the front, I havent measured how much higher but I am guessing .5. I like the look. As for ride its a little bit stiffer in front than before but negligible. I am in SD (Encinitas) meet me and drive it if you want, but I am totally happy with the outcome.

I got the Billies from Down South Motorsports off of Mission Gorge for $180 out the door(mention tacomaworld forum). Got them installed with a alignment for $250. Wheel spacers were $180 for all 4 from Off Road Warehouse.

My next step is to put 285/70/17s on the stock rims. I hear there may be a little fender cutting but I have read that some got away without it.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #23
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
I have 5100's at 2.5 and stock coils with a fifth 1" AAL and the ride is FINE! I actually found it better than stock. That doesn't necessarily mean that you will prefer it but mine is fine IMO.

I also got new wheels and 33" tires later on and it's awesome!!!

I went through the same turmoil as you trying to make up my mind. If you don't like the setup, you can always change it next year. It's not a huge amount of money as long as the wife doesn't find out. LOL
Old 01-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #24
i void warranties
Tvtech is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
Tvtech's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the same boat. I'm just going to do the 5100's fact spring and see how it rides.

Its not like I'm renting the tools. And I guarantee it won't be the last time I turn wrench on it!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #25
Blueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Blueberry's Tacoma Gallery
Crap, so let me get this straight. Putting 5100's at 2.5 with stock springs and the TSB AAL on my 2011 DC OR will work but is not recommended? Or is that setup a recipe for disaster later down the road?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #26
rpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roger
rpking's Tacoma Gallery
I'm gonna pull the trigger on a set of 5100's with some Eibach springs for the front 884 or 885 not sure which ones yet, and for the rear either an AAL or a whole new spring pack
Old 01-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #27
TACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Alright I did it. I got my 5100 and after talking to DSM I opted to keep my coils. Im glad i saved the money. The ride is sick and im still stock in the back. No regrets but we will see how long this felling lasts. Thank you everyone.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #28
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACWUT View Post
Alright I did it. I got my 5100 and after talking to DSM I opted to keep my coils. Im glad i saved the money. The ride is sick and im still stock in the back. No regrets but we will see how long this felling lasts. Thank you everyone.
Pics or it didn't happen
Old 01-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #29
berso is on a distinguished road

berso's Tacoma Gallery
I have my 5100 at 2.5, 265-70 R17, so far so good
Attached Thumbnails
5100 at 2.5-20120116-164.jpg  
Old 01-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #30
Blueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by berso View Post
I have my 5100 at 2.5, 265-70 R17, so far so good
Oh that looks perfect! And stock springs? Sport and Off Road models run the same spings right?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #31
TACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Ill post up pics tomorrow. I thought it was sr5 and sport but i could be wrong. I have a sr5 off road and love the feel and look
Old 01-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #32
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Off road's have a progressive spring which sucks when pre-loaded. It was said earlier the sr5 and sport have linear springs and tend to do better pre-loaded???????
Old 01-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #33
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ill post up pics tomorrow. I thought it was sr5 and sport but i could be wrong. I have a sr5 off road and love the feel and look
No such thing as an SR5 Offroad
Old 01-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #34
fishtacoz is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
fishtacoz's Tacoma Gallery
Would you need a 2.5 inch spacer after setting your 5100s to 2.5 to achieve a 2.5 inch lift? noob here
Old 01-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #35
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtacoz View Post
Would you need a 2.5 inch spacer after setting your 5100s to 2.5 to achieve a 2.5 inch lift? noob here
No
Old 01-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #36

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
No such thing as an SR5 Offroad
Hmmmmm my truck is an off road model where i pulled sr5 from? I dont know! Newb!
Old 01-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #37

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtacoz View Post
Just get the 5100 and set it at 2.5 or get a lift spring and adjust accordingly.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Off road's have a progressive spring which sucks when pre-loaded. It was said earlier the sr5 and sport have linear springs and tend to do better pre-loaded???????
Ok, good to know. However, how bad is this said "suckage"? Has anyone tried just running 5100's at 2.5 on their stock spings. I'm really trying to figure out if this is ok to run or if it's a disaster waiting to happen. Surely someone on here has run this setup.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #39

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
I do! I was reassured by many including DSM and my installer that it would be good and I love the end result. I guess some people like a soft ride and others like tight handling. I wouldnt call it stiff i would call it tight lol. Im pleased.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #40

Quote:
I do! I was reassured by many including DSM and my installer that it would be good and I love the end result. I guess some people like a soft ride and others like tight handling. I wouldnt call it stiff i would call it tight lol. Im pleased.
Sweet! That's the answer I'm looking for. Always up for more advice. But until someone gives me a good reason not to I'm probably going to go this route.