Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

5100 at 2.5

Old 01-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
TACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
5100 at 2.5

I did research and haven't found much or enough to satisfy my nerves.

With that being said, im getting my lift on monday and am going to get 5100 @ the 2.5 setting while running stock coils and maybe a 1 inch add a leaf in the back. My concern is that it was commented that at the 2.5 setting my ride would be stiff any comments from those with a similar set up would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Def will want new coils. Basically, it'll ride similar to a spacer as its compressing the stock coil which isnt designed for the added stiffness. An after market coil is designed to be longer and has the ability to keep up with the heaftier shock. I think most dudes run the eibach coils and set the shock at .85 and it rides pretty smooth. Not sure on the spec but the OME coils do the job too!

PS - Just saw you were in San Diego.......for the trails you have out there, you're be way better off with a higher quality coilover! 5100s won't keep up with the dudes with Icon, Fox, King. Just pick a color/price that works for you!
Old 01-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
mako86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmako86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmako86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmako86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmako86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmako86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmako86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmako86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmako86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmako86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmako86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mako86's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 3" spacer lift and then 5100's at 2.5 and now 5100's at .85 with a top spacer which gives about 1.75 to 2" of lift. I know people will disagree with this but I believe that it's not preloading the coil spring that give a stiff ride but the angle of the control arms. The steeper the angle (the more lift) the more impact is transmitted through the frame rather then the suspension. That being said I won't sett them higher than 1.75. Anything higher regardless of the type lift other than a drop bracket lift will make the ride noticeably harsher.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
TACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Thnx a ton guys. Keep those opinions coming.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #6

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. Is it stiffer than stock n r u running stock coils?
Old 01-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #8

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Cool man
Old 01-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same setup with 1" block in rear. Rides fine little stiff on bumps but overall very impressed. Now I just want to raise it more
Old 01-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #10

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyo freak View Post
I have the same setup with 1" block in rear. Rides fine little stiff on bumps but overall very impressed. Now I just want to raise it more
Exactly y i want to go 2.5! Lol
Old 01-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #11

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Im def. Getting the leaf. No spacers or blocks here but thats mainly cause my car is new with 1k miles on it. Want to do it right but I try n b frugal.

No offense toyo freak
Old 01-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #12
m_yota will become famous soon enough

m_yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
Yes it is stiffer but nothing I would call harsh. And yes thats with stock coils.
I 2nd that!!
Old 01-15-2012, 12:00 AM   #13

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
So better than stock u would say?
Old 01-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #14
bhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nice
Name: Ben
bhh2000's Tacoma Gallery
would 5100's at 2.5 with stock coils and an aal be stiffer then my worn out first gen shocks? I want to do the same thing as the OP but for ride and lift.... if not what are the cheapest coil's that would ride well?

Not to thread jack.....
Old 01-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #15

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, either ome or eibach r about 30 bucks apart from what i have seen.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #16

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Fawk! Should i add ome coils to this equation?
Old 01-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #17
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
OME 885's got me exactly 2 1/2" up front on my DCLB , you could run those with 5100's at 0
Old 01-15-2012, 12:48 AM   #18

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
get 5100's and set them at "0" with eibach/toytec coils.......... with eibachs ur truck will get 3"
2nd gens get 1.6-2"

stiffer, yes I would assume so since its a heavier coil.

too late ...........JACKED

yessir u should consider lifting coils instead of preloading a coil, for the best ride....Spend a lil more now instead of a lot later.
Very well my wife says the same. Im by no means cheap or poor just frugal. Just saying. Thank you so much guys keep opinions and experienced comments coming.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #19

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Lol isn't that the truth?
Old 01-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #20
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACWUT View Post
Im def. Getting the leaf. No spacers or blocks here but thats mainly cause my car is new with 1k miles on it. Want to do it right but I try n b frugal.

No offense toyo freak
None taken honestly I don't think you have to worry about the issues that everyone complains about with the block if you only have a 1" block. Now a 4" block could cause problems but I'm not too worried about the 1" doing any real harm. That being said after everything settled I got a near level setup. Just my humble opinion