Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Toytec 1.5 AAL for TSB Install

Old 01-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #21
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC47 View Post
I was going to put the trim packer on my setup, but I read that it won't work with the 5100's so I left it out. Here is a link:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...er-5100-a.html
I believe that to be correct. The "trim packer" is an OME part designed to nest on the OME spring perch.

No worries, just use a top plate spacer (1/4") to clean up any Taco lean.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #22
lucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud of

Army: 13 Fox, FO.  3rd AD, 7th ID, 10th Mtn, 25th ID
lucky's Tacoma Gallery
Installed the correct 1.5 AAL for TSB yesterday. I also had all the front suspension parts on hand, so did it too. You'll notice there is plenty of space between the retainer and AAL. You may also see the marks made on the leaf pack from running the wrong aal for a few days.

Front - 23.5 dvr and passenger
Rear - 24.5 dvr and passenger

No lean, but tank is near empty. I had bought a trim packer before discovering it was for OME shocks only. I am not doing any correction to the front.

Front is 5100 set at 0 with 885x
Rear TSB leaf pack, no blocks, long version 5100

Old 01-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #23
JC47 is on a distinguished road
JC47's Tacoma Gallery
My measurements after lift (and after settling):

Front: 22-1/4"
Rear: 23-1/2"

I guess having a 4x4 and a cap makes a pretty big difference.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #24
knickerbocker is on a distinguished road

knickerbocker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
Glad you got it sorted.

OP, when finished, please report your before and after hub-to-fenderwell dimensions so we can log them into the database.
(I'm kind of curious as to what your current non-TSB AAL + TSB pack dimension is, as well.)
what "database" and where can we access it? i've been searching and reading threads forever looking for a bunch of measurements. i want to make some adjustments to mine but can't find where i wrote my pre-lift measurements anywhere, and i want some reference before i start taking stuff apart.

Quote:
If you do cut, just make sure you file down the sharp edge so it doesn't dig into the leaf above it.
Ah. good idea. i cut mine but can't remember if i filed the edges.

how much did your non-TSB AAL raise your TSB'd rear? I swear mine went up a full 3" but can't find my pre lift measurements. i was hoping it would settle more than it has (after 1000's miles with full load).
Old 02-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #25
JC47's Tacoma Gallery
knickerbocker - the rear ended up right at 2" after settling.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #26

Quote:
My measurements after lift (and after settling):

Front: 22-1/4"
Rear: 23-1/2"

I guess having a 4x4 and a cap makes a pretty big difference.
Quote:
knickerbocker - the rear ended up right at 2" after settling.
thanks!

that's crazy. I'm currently at 23" front and 25" rear, also with 4x4 and fiberglass shell. So we both have trimmed non-TSB AAL on TSB spring packs, yet 1.5" difference. I wonder why.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #27
JC47's Tacoma Gallery
That is strange, what brand is your aal?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #28

toytec. it's old, though. maybe 4 or 5 years old. perhaps they've changed something since?
Old 12-17-2014, 09:46 PM   #29
BlackBetty is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
BlackBetty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky View Post
Installed the correct 1.5 AAL for TSB yesterday. I also had all the front suspension parts on hand, so did it too. You'll notice there is plenty of space between the retainer and AAL. You may also see the marks made on the leaf pack from running the wrong aal for a few days.

Front - 23.5 dvr and passenger
Rear - 24.5 dvr and passenger

No lean, but tank is near empty. I had bought a trim packer before discovering it was for OME shocks only. I am not doing any correction to the front.

Front is 5100 set at 0 with 885x
Rear TSB leaf pack, no blocks, long version 5100

Lucky. You have the exact deter I think I just ordered. I went to headstrong off road. I ordered bilstein 5100 with the one 885 coils. I also ordered thier 1.5 aal. How do you like it? I have a 2014 double cab 4x4. How difficult was the install? I am doing mine Sunday. I was so excited to see some e who did a similar setup. I am now going to try to read all your stuff. And feed back or advice would be awesome!
Old 12-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #30
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
Lucky. You have the exact deter I think I just ordered. I went to headstrong off road. I ordered bilstein 5100 with the one 885 coils. I also ordered thier 1.5 aal. How do you like it? I have a 2014 double cab 4x4. How difficult was the install? I am doing mine Sunday. I was so excited to see some e who did a similar setup. I am now going to try to read all your stuff. And feed back or advice would be awesome!
This thread is old, so you might not hear back from the OP. Also he stated in his initial post that he installed the AAL with the brake line bracket mod and long version 5100s. Be sure to ignore this, brake line brackets are not needed as an AAL provides no additional drop aside from the increase in the pack thickness from the AAL, which is only about 1/4". Also running longer shocks is also not needed and again this is because the only difference will be that 1/4" as mentioned. Running longer shocks will just cause an issue with up travel due to the longer collapse length of the shocks

Most folks on here get so confused with the whole shock and rear lift thing. So much bad advice given on here sometimes it just drives me nutty.

"i have an AAL that gives me 2” of lift so now I need a shock with more travel" ...... WRONG, your pack is not going to droop out more because you added and AAL and your shocks will only need to extend out about 1/4" more because thats the only difference with the addition of the AAL. This stuff is really pretty easy to understand, its just bad advice given by those are clueless complicates things.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #31
lucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud oflucky has much to be proud of

lucky's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, its an old thread. Regarding the brake line mod, I didnt originally intend to do it. Once I had everything back together, it appeared they had straightened out a bit. A added some spacers for the brake line mount, just to be safe.

The long version 5100's, I was ready to buy the standard length and was advised by toy-tec to use the longer version if using the AAL on TRD 4-leaf packs.

This setup ran well, but with 800-900 lbs of gear in the back, I was squatting quite a bit. Never had any hard bottoming, I put taller bump stops on anyway.

Eventually, I added the Firestone Ride Rite kit and can tune out all the squat when loaded. The brake line mod is really necessary now. When I go from heavy load to empty, the ass end stands way up until I let the air back down to 10 lbs, where I run it unloaded.

@BlackBetty - its a pretty easy install with a couple heavy clamps to bring the leaves back together. I dont remember how long it took me, but with the right tools, any job is easier.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:49 AM   #32
@lucky. Yeah I just read everything, I'm so excited. We are lifting the truck Saturday . I will have to bring some clamps and straps to my friends just incase for the rear leafs. My kit I bought didn't mention anything about needing a longer bolt for when I install the add a leaf? Do you think I will. Mine is just a deaver 1.5 aal. If so what size did you use. Great write up. I will try to figure out how to post photos once we are finished. Mine also came pre installed ready to go with a 1/4 inch top plate on top of shock to not have any lean. Thanks for the links.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:08 AM   #33

lucky's Tacoma Gallery
Mine came with new bolts. They are long so you can easily get the leafs lined back up and tightened down. Once you have it all tightened back down, you cut off the remainder of the bolt in order to re-install the bump stop...

If you do any pre and post install measurements to share on TW, I was advised by TW members to measure from center of the axle/wheel to fender lip, versus ground to fender lip to take tire size out of the equation.

Good luck with the install. I think you will be pleased with the outcome.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #34
Quote:
Mine came with new bolts. They are long so you can easily get the leafs lined back up and tightened down. Once you have it all tightened back down, you cut off the remainder of the bolt in order to re-install the bump stop...

If you do any pre and post install measurements to share on TW, I was advised by TW members to measure from center of the axle/wheel to fender lip, versus ground to fender lip to take tire size out of the equation.

Good luck with the install. I think you will be pleased with the outcome.
My lift is done!! Front center of hub to bottom of fender was 21 inches. Now it's at 24. Thank you for your help!!
PHP Code:
[PHP
[/PHP]
Old 12-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #35
Okay so is there no way to post pictures on here from my I phone? And why can I never find this post when I log in? I have to look in my email for a reply link to this post. I am excited to sho you guys my truck.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #36

lucky's Tacoma Gallery
Is this your truck? Looks good! Great job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
Okay so is there no way to post pictures on here from my I phone? And why can I never find this post when I log in? I have to look in my email for a reply link to this post. I am excited to sho you guys my truck.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #37
Quote:
Is this your truck? Looks good! Great job.

That's my truck!!! It's rubbing really bad on my right side. (Passenger side) if I turn my steering wheel and hit a curb like the one getting into my house it rubs. I might have to do some trimming. But I'm not sure where. Any ideas on what to cut? Or ways to fix it? Are you guys having any rubbing issues?
Old 12-22-2014, 05:03 AM   #38

lucky's Tacoma Gallery
I run 255/85-16 BFG Mud KM2's. I had to trim some inner fender well plastic. There is an additional mod that can be done to the cab mount to gain some clearance, but I havent needed to do that one yet.