1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

who's running coilovers?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by chestnut35, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Nov 29, 2008 at 9:58 AM
    chestnut35

chestnut35 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    tempe
    Vehicle:
    08 Off Road Double
    bixenon HID, chrome running boards, access tonneau cover, Bilstein 5100, rear TSB leafs, 18x9 XD wheels, 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Front Bull Bar
    I was thinking of getting some for my truck but wanted to see who out there is running them and if people like them? i've seen the sway's, fabtech, toytechs, and a few others but if you'd be willing to write which you have and whether you like them or not it be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you ahead of time for any help.:D

2. Nov 29, 2008 at 11:01 AM
    ksj

ksj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cavalry Blue TRD Pro
    265/70-17 KO2
    I just put Icon's on my '09. They're great.

3. Nov 29, 2008 at 5:08 PM
    Downsouth Motorsports

Downsouth Motorsports Downsouth Motorsport Vendor

Member:
    Mission Valley, San Diego
    2017 4-Runner Dirt King Long Travel King 2.5 Coil-Over / 2.5 Bypass Front and Rear ICON Rear Upper and Lower Arms ICON Rear 2" Springs 285 x 70 x 17 Toyo Tires on 17" x 8" ICON Wheels
    I have the FOX kit on my truck and I love them...! I also removed the sway bar for additional travel. I love the way the truck handles both on and off road.....! I have the FOX kit with the internal shaft spacer removed, basically giving the suspension more droop travel (can only be used with UCA's) Since I removed the sway bar I added about 20% more compression dampening to compensate for the loss of the sway bar- without the adjustment it had allot of body roll...

KING has a good kit as well....

One thing you get when you purchase a FOX or KING kit that you don't get from ICON is the ability to have your shocks tuned for what kind of driving you do. Just as I did when I removed the sway bar- same goes if your primary driving is high speed (whoops) or slow speed (Crawling) the kits come with a standard valving- but who's standards...???

4. Nov 29, 2008 at 6:05 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    You dont get more travel from disco'ing the sway bar. More articulation, yes, but the travel stays the same.

5. Nov 29, 2008 at 6:11 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I'm running the ToyTec adjustable coilovers on Bilstein 5100s. Also, Total Chaos UCAs.

[​IMG]

6. Nov 29, 2008 at 6:14 PM
    Downsouth Motorsports

Downsouth Motorsports Downsouth Motorsport Vendor

Member:
    Mission Valley, San Diego
    2017 4-Runner Dirt King Long Travel King 2.5 Coil-Over / 2.5 Bypass Front and Rear ICON Rear Upper and Lower Arms ICON Rear 2" Springs 285 x 70 x 17 Toyo Tires on 17" x 8" ICON Wheels
    Depends on how you look at it- if one side of the suspension is collapsed or all the way up in the fender well, and the other tire is off the terrain- such as going through whoops- the sway bar itself limits the travel from extending downward. When I had my truck up on the rack both tires were at full droop and the sway bar was limiting the amount of droop travel because the angle of the bar as comparison to the links, they were binding. Once I sed the impact to undo the bottom bolt of the sway bar link the tire came down about .5"- keep in mind this is after adding a coil over and upper arm...

7. Nov 29, 2008 at 8:15 PM
    chestnut35

chestnut35 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    tempe
    Vehicle:
    08 Off Road Double
    bixenon HID, chrome running boards, access tonneau cover, Bilstein 5100, rear TSB leafs, 18x9 XD wheels, 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Front Bull Bar
    thanks fellas much appreciated. also, where's the best place to shop for them, online or wherever.

8. Nov 29, 2008 at 8:21 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Online will get you better prices. And many products are available only online.

I bought mine from:
    toyteclifts.com - adjustable coilovers, diff drop, top plate, AAL
    wheelersoffroad.com - Total Chaos UCAs
    ebay.com - for the 5100s

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Nov 29, 2008 at 8:23 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Ok. Thats would be "articulation". :)

Products Discussed in

To Top