Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Ome 885 vs Eibach

Old 01-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
knine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 4th Fighter Wing
knine00's Tacoma Gallery
Ome 885 vs Eibach

What are the pros and cons of each spring? Trying to figure out which one to go with for road driving not so much off road.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Can't go wrong with OME. They are $150 + shipping and fairly easy to install.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
OME = about 2.5" of lift
Eibach = about 1.6" of lift but can be set on 5100's preloaded to .85 for 2.5" of lift.

Eibachs are a shorter and stiffer than the OME's. They're both similar price wise. Can't really go wrong with either one, you'll find a ton of members that have either or and are happy. Personally, I went with Eibach. Being a little stiffer I like it for the driving I do which is mostly on the road.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
knine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knine00's Tacoma Gallery
I just picked up a set of 5100 with eibach springs but found some ome 885 for a decent price. Should I stay with the eibach and save my money?
Old 01-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by knine00 View Post
I just picked up a set of 5100 with eibach springs but found some ome 885 for a decent price. Should I stay with the eibach and save my money?
Do you have the eibachs installed yet? If you do and you like them, keep them. If not, your call. the OME's can get you a little more lift and will be a little softer due to the lower spring rate but both are great products.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
knine00's Tacoma Gallery
No I havent installed anything yet. I am waiting for my Icon 3 leaf progressive to come on.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #8

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No I havent installed anything yet. I am waiting for my Icon 3 leaf progressive to come on.
How much lift do you want up front?
Old 01-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
knine00's Tacoma Gallery
2.5 to 3
Old 01-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
tacoma07pre is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
tacoma07pre's Tacoma Gallery
Can ome coils be installed on the 5100s?
Old 01-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
2.5 to 3
If you want to be between 2.5 and 3", then the OME coils sound like they'd be a better fit for you. You shouldn't have any trouble selling the Eibachs since they're on back order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma07pre View Post
Can ome coils be installed on the 5100s?
Yes, you can use OME coils with 5100's with the exception of the 886 coils. If you're going to use the 886's, you should pair them with the Nitrocharger shocks.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
knine00's Tacoma Gallery
I guess the springs are 885X not sure if that makes a difference?
Old 01-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
knine00's Tacoma Gallery
Would the eibachs be better with a top spacer?
Old 01-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I guess the springs are 885X not sure if that makes a difference?
885x would be better. The older 885's had manufacturing issues and would sag over time. The 885x are the newer ones and have a greater resistance to sagging.

Quote:
Would the eibachs be better with a top spacer?
The OME coils are a taller coil. To get the Eibachs over 2.5", you need to preload them by setting the 5100's at .85 and then put a top plate on top of that. The OME coil will get you to 2.5" without any preloading or top plates. OME with trim packers will get you to a full 3". Both set-ups will work, just personal preference I suppose. FWIW, Toytec makes a different top plate to be used with the 5100/Eibach set-up to get you to 3" of lift if you want to keep your coils and not deal with the hassle of buying new and selling yours.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #15
knine00's Tacoma Gallery
I take it in the long run a non preloaded spring wont cause near as much wear and tear on the suspension like a preload spring will?
Old 01-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I take it in the long run a non preloaded spring wont cause near as much wear and tear on the suspension like a preload spring will?
If a preloaded spring puts you to 2.5" or a non-preloaded spring puts you at 2.5", both will have the same effect on the other suspension components. I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor.

Eibachs are a stiffer coil, so when you preload them, they'll be even stiffer. Eibachs have a spring rate of around 620#/in while OME has a rate of 580#/in if I recall correctly. That's why I suggested considering the OME's, they have a lower spring rate, are a taller coil and will give you the amount of lift you want without preloading or top plates.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #17
octacorunner is on a distinguished road
Name: G
octacorunner's Tacoma Gallery
Get the OMEs and sell me the eibachs
Old 01-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #18
knine00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If a preloaded spring puts you to 2.5" or a non-preloaded spring puts you at 2.5", both will have the same effect on the other suspension components. I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor.

Eibachs are a stiffer coil, so when you preload them, they'll be even stiffer. Eibachs have a spring rate of around 620#/in while OME has a rate of 580#/in if I recall correctly. That's why I suggested considering the OME's, they have a lower spring rate, are a taller coil and will give you the amount of lift you want without preloading or top plates.

Ok I get what you are saying.....The ome would be a better ride then the eibach's? Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by octacorunner View Post
Get the OMEs and sell me the eibachs
LOL I will let you know what I do.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:44 AM   #19
knine00's Tacoma Gallery
So the guy sold the springs to someone else. Would it be better to add the spacer then preload my eibach springs to 2.5?
Old 01-20-2012, 04:06 AM   #20
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
The red eibach's I have are #600 and heard they have some silver one's as well. Bilstein suggests to only use the eibachs as thats what they were desiged for. I'm assuming it's due to the different lengths?? Maybe the spring rate type.....I think the eibachs are progressive and the OME's are linear and softer?? Just some thoughts!