Notices

883 and OME shocks

Old 01-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Mr. Magoo
MonkeyChief is on a distinguished road

Name: Citizen #1839-7634-001
MonkeyChief's Tacoma Gallery
883 and OME shocks

So after looking around for a way to level out the front end and improve road quality both on and off road, I plan on going with OME. I don't want to lift now, but now I will in the future.

I plan on going with the 883 / OME-90000 and OME-N182. I looked at the 884 and 885 but I don't want to go nose high and from what I have read, that spring is a 2.5" spring. Toytec says the 883 is used for leveling, but I don't see anyone talking about this spring as an option.

I searched and only found one thread from a 2nd gen single cab that said they were way too stiff. Does anyone have experience with this setup or even just the 883 on a double cab?
Old 01-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
No info, but I have the same question, so bump for you.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Mr. Magoo

No one with experience with the 883 on a 2nd gen double or access cab?

I confirmed with Toytec that these will fit and are designed to lift the front just enough to level it. I ordered these along with the shocks all around and should hopefully have them on by Wednesday or Thursday of this coming week.

I'll post pics before and after to show how these effect the stance / front ride height.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Mr. Magoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
No info, but I have the same question, so bump for you.
Thanks juggernaut, when I searched, all of the threads but one were specific to first gen, so no help there. I guess since I bought them, we should know soon enough.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
Mr. Magoo

So I got the shocks and springs installed yesterday.

Height gain: I am in a DC SB and after the install, it seems I still have a bit of rake which may be ok since I am adding a shell soon. I'm letting things settle, but I should be able to snap a few pictures this weekend. I did add the trim spacer as well.

Ride quality: Amazing! I love this ride, so much more stable feeling, soaks up the bumps and the front end doesn't dive under breaking. I took the truck through a windy canyon road last night and I immediately noticed how much more control I had and how much easier it was to drive in general. It handled the canyon really well, felt very in control. This was with stock tires. No vibrations or shimmies, just the rear bed hop, but reduced. I did get my ATs installed, ride is even better now of course, but haven't driven too far, I'll redo the canyon run tonight to see the difference.

Cost: I got all but the rears through Toytec, got the rears locally for close to the same price from 4wheel as Toytec was momentarily backordered.

Going forward: I still have it in my head a bit that the 883 is going to be a bit too short, so if it is, then I'll go to the 884 and work on something with the rear end height.

I'm planning on working on a solution that will help me lose the overload spring and still have some stability in the rear. I don't like the hop from the unloaded ride. With the shell I'll gain some relief, but I still think I'll work on something that will smooth things out even more.

I'll be researching UCAs more as I understand installing something like the light racing UCA will bring some more stable steering and will help lose the factory wander that exists regardless of your setup.

For the record, I am planning on using the truck as my DD, which is very little, and for road trips to snowboard, camp, hike, MTB, etc... I do some light off-roading, mostly to just to get out into the wilderness. I came from driving a GS430 for almost 6 years so ride quality has become important to me. Most of the time I owned the Lexus, it was lowered on Tein CS V2.0 with 20's and 295 series rears. The ride was unbelievable, comparable to stock but with a bit more road feel, it just wasn't very versatile. Canyon runs in that car will be missed, but a mid-60s Mustang is on the horizon.

I hope this has been helpful. I'll start a build thread in the next few days, I'll add more pics and such.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Mr. Magoo

Ok, I have been a bit sick and when I went to take pics my new batteries were dead, so here are a few crappy ones from my iPhone, I'll try to get more over the next few days that shows more detail.
Attached Thumbnails
883 and OME shocks-tacoma883-f.jpg   883 and OME shocks-tacoma883-s.jpg   883 and OME shocks-tacoma883-r.jpg  
Old 02-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
883, 884, 885, all have the same spring rate. They just get longer in length, in that order.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06ToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

06ToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by damole View Post
Ok, I have been a bit sick and when I went to take pics my new batteries were dead, so here are a few crappy ones from my iPhone, I'll try to get more over the next few days that shows more detail.

What are your final hub to fender measurements?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
Did you end up switching to 884's? How much height did you get from 883's / 884's?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
Mr. Magoo

I ended up going to the 884, the 883 didn't get me there, I assume because I am a 4x4 DC.

I have seen another DC 4x4 2012 comment lately that they went with 884 and it leveled them out perfectly.

I think for a non-4x4 AC or single cab, this would be the right spring to go with to level.

I haven't put the 883 spring up for sale yet, but will snap a few pics later. I drove only about 500 miles on them before taking them off.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
kmr8011 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
kmr8011's Tacoma Gallery
OP, I know this is an old thread but I have a question for you. I'm looking to level my truck just as you did with either the 883 or 884 spring and OME shocks. Did you by chance measure how much rake you had when you were stock? My truck is identical to yours except that it's a TRD Offroad. As I understand it, the 2012 TRD Sport has 4 rear leafs whereas my TRD Offroad only has 3. I can only assume that for this reason, your truck was higher from the factory in the rear that mine and that maybe that's why the 883 didn't completely level you out? I'm just trying to decide between the two springs. Any updated info you can provide would be much appreciated.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #14
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i got exactly 2" in the front with 884's.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #15
Mr. Magoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmr8011 View Post
OP, I know this is an old thread but I have a question for you. I'm looking to level my truck just as you did with either the 883 or 884 spring and OME shocks. Did you by chance measure how much rake you had when you were stock? My truck is identical to yours except that it's a TRD Offroad. As I understand it, the 2012 TRD Sport has 4 rear leafs whereas my TRD Offroad only has 3. I can only assume that for this reason, your truck was higher from the factory in the rear that mine and that maybe that's why the 883 didn't completely level you out? I'm just trying to decide between the two springs. Any updated info you can provide would be much appreciated.
I didn't measure, but the truck sits level know and the ride is a bit different as well. I don't like any rake at all in a truck, just my preference.

I am going to sell the 883 springs, just haven't put them up on TW yet.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #16
ace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ace96's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyChief View Post
I didn't measure, but the truck sits level know and the ride is a bit different as well. I don't like any rake at all in a truck, just my preference.

How is the ride with the 884s compared to stock? I would like a small lift but not make the truck ride like refridgerator on wheels.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #17
Mr. Magoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace96 View Post
How is the ride with the 884s compared to stock? I would like a small lift but not make the truck ride like refridgerator on wheels.
I'm not sure what a refrig on wheels rides like, but I like the ride much better than stock. Stock had the front end diving under braking and overall it felt soft. The front end doesn't dive anymore and the truck feels solid and confident on and off road. Hope that helps.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #18
wareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
wareagle1's Tacoma Gallery
Do you still have the 883's for sale? If so let me know, I'm interested. Thanks
Old 01-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #19
TwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to all

Name: Kyle
TwzteD's Tacoma Gallery
im intrested in your springs also if you will sell them, i have a reg cab and looking to level, i was gonna do 883's with 5100's at 0? that will set me close rite?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #20
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyChief View Post

PM me when you do please....