Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Icon aal

Old 01-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Icon aal

Was interested in putting a icon aal on . How do you guys like it for normal and desert driving . I normally don't carry things in the bed . Will it soften it up a bit in the desert ? Bottom out more ? Your input is greatly appreciated .
Old 01-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I can't speak to desert runs but I love the ride. It does not bottom out easily, even when fully loaded. It's great product in my opinion.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks . I've heard good words about the icon aal but just wanted some input from people who actually run them . They are priced on the low side and I'm also looking at a set of deavers but those are pricey .
Old 01-21-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
you mean the 3 leaf AAL kit?

Subbed for any more opinions. Considering it for my 1st gen....
Old 01-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
3 leaf aal is the ony way to go! Very smooth ride on and off road. After a year and a camping trip with heavy equipment it started sagging and bottomes out on speed bumps.....no bueno! Since then I added the overload leaf back in and got softer bump stops as I basically hit them every time. Pretty dissapointed in their longevity though. These are actually the wheelers 3 leaf made by alcan so the icons made by deaver may be different.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
3 leaf aal is the ony way to go! Very smooth ride on and off road. After a year and a camping trip with heavy equipment it started sagging and bottomes out on speed bumps.....no bueno! Since then I added the overload leaf back in and got softer bump stops as I basically hit them every time. Pretty dissapointed in their longevity though. These are actually the wheelers 3 leaf made by alcan so the icons made by deaver may be different.
My bed is almost always empty, and I never haul anything...so I should be okay.

And I am looking at the Icon/deaver unit.

I can definitely see how the 3 leaf pack will ride better and help sustain the arc of the pack better and longer.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
thekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thekernel114's Tacoma Gallery
any of you guys put the 3 leaf aal in when your stock springs were already worn out?
i don't have the cash for a new leaf pack but my stock ones are sitting flat right now.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
you mean the 3 leaf AAL kit?

Subbed for any more opinions. Considering it for my 1st gen....
Yeah I was looking at either the icon aal for $179.00 or maybe the deaver j66 . Both say they add 1.5" of lift Which I like and need to work with my current rear shocks . I'm wondering if the deavers are worth the extra $500 and how long each will last with not much weight in the bed most of the time .
Old 01-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Yeah I was looking at either the icon aal for $179.00 or maybe the deaver j66 . Both say they add 1.5" of lift Which I like and need to work with my current rear shocks . I'm wondering if the deavers are worth the extra $500 and how long each will last with not much weight in the bed most of the time .
If you keep the overload leaf in place, the Icon 3-leaf AAL gives you 2" of lift. The 1.5" of lift is figured with the overload being removed.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If you keep the overload leaf in place, the Icon 3-leaf AAL gives you 2" of lift. The 1.5" of lift is figured with the overload being removed.
Thanks . I'm just seeing that as I'm searching around more . They say to leave in the overload spring also if you tow or keep alot of weight in the bed . Also not to add the aal if your current springs are shot as the aal will be doing all the work . This is primarily my desert truck so I wonder if I should just go with the j66 .
Old 01-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Thanks . I'm just seeing that as I'm searching around more . They say to leave in the overload spring also if you tow or keep alot of weight in the bed . Also not to add the aal if your current springs are shot as the aal will be doing all the work . This is primarily my desert truck so I wonder if I should just go with the j66 .
100% correct about adding an AAL to a worn out leaf pack. It's just a band aid at that point and will wear out very quickly and definitely keep the overload in place if you plan to tow or haul. The 3 leaf is pretty flexible. It does support weight pretty well, but squats quite a bit to do so. When fully loaded, I'm barely on the overload leaf (fully loading meaning pushing 1,000 lbs in the bed).
Old 01-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
You've got a new truck so your factory springs should be fine!

3 leaf it brother!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
You've got a new truck so your factory springs should be fine!

3 leaf it brother!
OP has a 2010, not new... Mine's a 2007 with 65k miles and I've arleady replaced the leaf springs twice. You can definitely trash the factory leafs in a couple years.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I have both. A 2010 and a 2011 . This is for my 2011 desert truck .
Old 01-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #15
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
If you want something for the desert, why not go with a custom leaf pack from ALcan or Deaver. Alcan asks so many questions in regards to what the pack should be built for, they can make you a really custom, perfect set-up from what I have heard from their customers.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
If you want something for the desert, why not go with a custom leaf pack from ALcan or Deaver. Alcan asks so many questions in regards to what the pack should be built for, they can make you a really custom, perfect set-up from what I have heard from their customers.
Yeah I heard about that . I'll look into that also . Thanks
Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #17
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.alcanspring.com/order.htm
Old 01-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #18

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
OP has a 2010, not new... Mine's a 2007 with 65k miles and I've arleady replaced the leaf springs twice. You can definitely trash the factory leafs in a couple years.
I hear you.....I've got an 08 and they sucks balls!