1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spacers: Polyureathane vs. Aluminum

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by jjacks, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Nov 30, 2008 at 3:18 PM
    jjacks

jjacks [OP] Member

Member:
    Grainger Co. TN
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl. cab Trd 4x4 Silver
    Steelcraft brush guard, afe air filter, Lift kit (coming soon) Maybe a throttle body spacer
    Guys, i am trying to decide on a lift (a cheap one, basically for looks) and i need someone to explain the difference between these two spacer lifts poly or aluminum.

What are the pros and cons of each?

Does one allow a better ride than the other?
    Or does one allow more compression of the shock or up/dwn travel?

2. Nov 30, 2008 at 3:31 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Lift height being equal, neither one allows for more travel. In the past, the poly spacers have been known to crack and break down. Its been a LONG time since I have heard of any problems with them. Aluminum can break, and its been a LONG time since I have heard of one breaking. The poly spacers are usually consisting of a Preload spacer combined with a Top load spacer. That distributes the lift between spring compression and lengthening the strut. This gives the best compromise between ride, and lift for a spacer. Poly spacers alos offer some sound deadaning quality, because of the material used to make them. Aluminum spacers are usually 1 peice, and are either a top load spacer OR a preload spacer. Top load spacers dont affect the ride, but can destroy the ball joints in the upper control arm. Preload spacers can make the ride very stiff, and when combined with stock shocks wich are not valved for the increased spring rate which is given by the preloading of the spring, the ride is compromised further.

treyus30 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top