Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How do you jack up your truck?

Old 01-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Taco Roja
Ohbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud of

Navy: 1987-1997
Name: Brian
Ohbrian's Tacoma Gallery
How do you jack up your truck?

I know, sounds stupid and probably is. My truck was lifted 3 inches and I want to put in some new UCA's, I plan on doing this myself. My question is how and where do you put a jack? I measured from the ground to the frame in two different places and it looks like roughly 15 or 18 inches which appears to be the limit of most floor jacks I see. Is it safe to put a block of wood or something on the jack? Can I leave the truck on the jack while I do the work or should I find some taller jack stands? If anyone has some pics for reference and/or some equipment reccomendations I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
186000mps's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohbrian View Post
I know, sounds stupid and probably is. My truck was lifted 3 inches and I want to put in some new UCA's, I plan on doing this myself. My question is how and where do you put a jack? I measured from the ground to the frame in two different places and it looks like roughly 15 or 18 inches which appears to be the limit of most floor jacks I see. Is it safe to put a block of wood or something on the jack? Can I leave the truck on the jack while I do the work or should I find some taller jack stands? If anyone has some pics for reference and/or some equipment reccomendations I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

I use Big Red jack stands from Tractor Supply with some plywood under them, they get to the height without problems. They are positioned on the frame rails, just past the bend behind the front tires.

I use a large floor jack with a 8x8 block of wood, it is actually in the foreground. I position the jack and wood block in the center of the front crossmember. Remember to chock the back wheels. Double check the jack stand contact points to be sure they are seated properly. Give a good shake to make sure its all stable.

Sometimes I leave the floor jack in place, but back off the tension to let the jack stands carry the load. The floor jack is there just for safety.
In this photo, the truck was up over night, so I took the floor jack to the shed.

**I just noticed you have Pre Runner, the jack stand locations are inside the frame rails, see last picture.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
On my 96 tacoma (2" lift & 32" tires)..... I had a set of square tube rocks sliders that were welded to angle iron and the angle iron was set under the frame and stitch welded to the frame.

For most times, especially out in the field/trails....use the 48" high lift jack under the rock sliders. It was the only thing that would reach and jack up high enough.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Big red makes some pretty tall ones, i think up to 24".
Old 01-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
If you are working under the truck for any amount of time-Use jack stands. They also make extensions for some jacks that make the pad taller. Might be worth looking for something like that.
Yes, definitely....when you're in the garage.

But out on the trails.....when you don't have room to carry jack stands.... Use a spare tire to place underneath the frame as a safety in case the Hi-lift falls/fails.

Two thoughts here....*How do you lift it* VS *How do you support it*
Since the bottle jacks don't do shit for you with lifts & big tires.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
They also make extensions for some jacks that make the pad taller. Might be worth looking for something like that.
well all be damned. Never heard of such a thing before. Cool beans.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Yes, definitely....when you're in the garage.

But out on the trails.....when you don't have room to carry jack stands.... Use a spare tire to place underneath the frame as a safety in case the Hi-lift falls/fails.

Two thoughts here....*How do you lift it* VS *How do you support it*
Since the bottle jacks don't do shit for you with lifts & big tires.
Yeah...but the OP was talking about installing new UCAs.
If he is going to try that on the trails-That is baller status and I have no place giving him any advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
well all be damned. Never heard of such a thing before. Cool beans.
I bought mine at Pepboys - Big Red 2.5Ton floor jack and 3Ton jackstands. Worked great for the stuff I've done in the garage.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
Taco Roja
Ohbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud ofOhbrian has much to be proud of

Navy: 1987-1997
Name: Brian
Ohbrian's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, thanks guys!