1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear spring TSB: How to get the dealer to do it?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by RelentlessFab, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Dec 1, 2008 at 12:27 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab [OP] Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    So i've been having issues with my 3leaf pack bottoming with loads like firewood, a large ATV, or towing some of our trailers. I want to get the spring TSB but i dont know exactly what to say to my dealer for the least amount of hassle. the specific dealer's been cool with me on other TSBs; the intake rattle TSB and the Bent tailgate TSBs and i figure they'll probably do this for me too. My only issue i can see is that i've added an AAL to my leaf pack but i figured i could use the front "i added it to try and stiffen it up" if they try to hassle about it.... or i can take it out i guess. Either way, how should i present the issue to my dealer? Im planning on getting my oil changed this week and thought i may have them do it and ask about it then.:cool:
    If theres another thread like this.... point me to it! i couldnt find one.

2. Dec 1, 2008 at 1:11 AM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    Eric,

Tell them exactly what you put above about "trying to stiffen it up". I'm sure they wont give you any crap.

I showed up and waited to talk a service rep. I told him that I wanted to have TSB # such and such done, and he said okay and he'd order the parts.

EDIT- I wouldn't load up a bunch of stuff in your truck just for this. I'd go and speak to them first. If they tell you no, then I'd recomend resorting to such dramatics.

3. Dec 1, 2008 at 3:45 AM
    Neubs

Neubs Sold my Tacoma. Goodbye TW.

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad DC 4X4
    ToyTec 5100 Bilstein Adjustable Coilovers w/ Eibach Springs | OME Darkar Leaf Springs | 5150 10" Bilstein Rear Shocks| Light Racing UCAs | All Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit | Timbren Rear Bumps | Extended Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines | ARB CKMA12 On-Board Air Compressor | Method 16" Race Wheels | Goodyear 285/70/16 MTR | 48" Hi-Lift Jack | ToyTec Diff Drop | Warn Hitch Shackle | TRD Cold Air Intake | PIAA Intense White Bulbs | PIAA Silicone Wipers | Toyota Bed Mat |Sockmonkey Graphics | 20% Tint | Sport Hood | Scan Gauge II & Blend Mount | Shrockworks Sliders | ARB Bumper | Warn M8000 Winch | Viking Synthetic Winch line | 12-Volt Guy In-Dash Winch Controller | Viking Delrin Rollers | Daystar Winch Isolator| ARB/IPF 900XS Lights | Weather Tech Liners | Rock Lights | Diff Breather Mod | Extra Bed D-Rings | Misc. LED bulbs throughout
    Eric,

They might give you crap about the AAL but if they have been cool so far I think it is worth a shot. I would load your ATV or put around 750 pounds of sand in the back (15 50 pound bags of sand) and drive it to the dealer with the truck about 1" off the bump stops and the TSB in hand. If the ask about the AAL you could say what you wrote above (tried to stiffen the back). Be sure to mention that the truck experiences "harsh ride" when loaded and then visually show the service manager the bump stops 1" off the frame. Explain that the bump stops bang the frame really hard any time you hit a bump with a load in the back. If you want you could even explain that the bed is not even loaded to its maximum potential. (point to the sticker on the doorwell) My dealer was a pain in the a$$ and it took 3 trips and 750 pounds of sand in the bed of the truck to finally resolve the issue. At any rate, I hope this helps.

PS- Other options, SuperSprings, Helweig, AirBags, Etc.

4. Dec 1, 2008 at 5:35 AM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper

Did you get your tailgate TSB done after it was bent or as a precaution?? My other 06 the tailgate bent and a new one was like $1100.00 painted from the dealer. I don't want the one on the truck i have know to bend like the other one. I'm getting close to 36000 miles so I'm trying to get all the things done i can before warranty runs out.

5. Dec 1, 2008 at 5:38 AM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    Register the complaint with Toyota USA first, then they will conatct the dealer for you.

6. Dec 1, 2008 at 5:39 AM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
    I told the dealer that the truck was bottoming out, they said ok ordered the parts installed them the following week. I really just wanted the leaf pack because I'm put 5100's all the way around. They would put the 5100,s on in place of the ones that they are putting on.

7. Dec 1, 2008 at 10:30 AM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the responses to those who've posted. Anyone else thats gotten it done have any recommendations?

8. Dec 1, 2008 at 10:34 AM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    mine was done after i bent the gate in like the first month of owning the truck. I had the old one straightened a bit and reinforced before i found out about the TSB so i had the shop that installed my new gate just put the diamond plate reinforcing cover on the new one too. haven't had any issues since. Sorry to say i dont think they'll do the TSB unless you bring them in your truck with a bent tailgate.

9. Dec 1, 2008 at 10:45 AM
    Johnson8537

Johnson8537 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT 4x4 Double Cab Long bed
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.
    PM sent

10. Dec 1, 2008 at 2:55 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you read the TSB it says the TSB is a customer complaint generated TSB. If the customer complains about a 'Harsh Ride' then the dealer is to do the TSB.

I had the intimidation card played on me and just shrugged it off. They don't want anyone to have it done and then decide they want to go back. It would cost the consumer and not Toyota...It could turn into bad advertising, so that is why they will pull several different little tricks to be sure you really want it done.

You don't have to 'prove' anything. Just complain of a 'harsh ride'. Just do it in a well educated and stearn manner with no harsh words. Harsh conversation is only remembered for harsh words and not content.

I had no mods to my rear springs so I don't know what they could say with the aal........

Hope this helps, and my credentials are several hours of studying here on TW before I got mine done.
    This is an oldy but goody that helped me. Thanks to TuRDTACO post #15 for really hitting it home.(based on customer complaint!) His message I continue to deliver..........:D
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...-advice-dealer-unwilling-rear-spring-tsb.html
    This was in my subribed threads too.....
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/12056-08-rear-spring-tsb-2.html

11. Dec 1, 2008 at 3:18 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    hmm. good call. i just got back from my dealer and they said they'll check it out when i get my oil change(wednesday) and let me know. now if they try to BS me then i'll just pull out the TSB and show them its based on "customer complaint." Thanks for the info:)

12. Dec 1, 2008 at 3:28 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    you got it!!!:thumbsup:

no arguing with the facts put forth by Toyota......the dealer is just the little go between.......:D

13. Dec 3, 2008 at 10:20 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    well took it in for the oil change and left it last night for them to do this morning. got a call about noon that it was done, and the leafs were on the way and scheduled to be in tomorrow morning so if i left the truck it would be done in the afternoon!:bananadance: easy as pie to get em to do it! didnt even have to show them the TSB or fight about it or anything. :D

14. Dec 3, 2008 at 10:33 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I posted something on another thread but I think that was on older one. Now I went to my Progressive insurance website to check all my tsb's. There were none that said anything about a harsh ride or rear tsb's. Does that mean my trucks okay? I own a 2006 Tacoma double cab TRD Sport which I had purchased brand new back in August of 2006. Also, I am going to be putting a 3 inch lift kit on here soon with rear AAL's. So if I am qualified to get the rear tsb done and get a 4 leaf pack, will my truck be even higher after I put my lift on then if i don't get the 4 leaf pack? :confused:

15. Dec 3, 2008 at 11:11 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    the TSB is valid for 05-08 6 lug trucks with 3 leaves under the back of them so yours probably meets this. the real reason you'd get it is if you regularly haul loads in the back and experience sagging and bottoming of the rear suspension. if you dont then you dont really need to worry about getting it unless you just want it done. The TSB springs are said to raise the back of the truck 1" over the standard springs. if you lift it the height of them wont matter that much as you're probably looking for a level stance anyway

16. Dec 4, 2008 at 1:10 AM
    br217398

br217398 Crazy Person.....

Member:
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra Crew Cab 4WD
    Hornblasters horns,Strobe lights,Police Undercover Vehicle, Volent Ram air system, pro comp POS AAL, biltein all around, step bars.
    Funny thing about this entire TSB, is i have a 5lug, and was told that the truck is only meant to haul 500lbs and not the 1350 as stated in the owners manual....so pulled out the tsb (since it says nothing about 6 lug or 5) and i have the appointment on saturday finally. I had complained about it before i knew about the tsb and they said they couldnt do anything so everybody here has helped lots!!! Toyota wants to keep us all as customers so if the dealer says no.... they are always willing to help out.... the number for toyota customer service is 1800-861-8380 for yall that need it

17. Dec 4, 2008 at 2:52 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah I don't do much heavy hauling at all to tell you the truth. Its just one of those things were its like jeezzz, might as well get it in case I do haul heavy loads in the future! Only problem is, the dealer I got it from is 130 miles away from me! So if your saying it raises the rear by 1 inch and I put my leveling kit on, won't it still be 1 inch higher then if I didn't get the tsb done? Since I am going to level out my truck, would it be better on looking into getting my extra leaf?:confused:

18. Dec 4, 2008 at 3:01 AM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    well, if you install a 'leveling kit' i suppose so, but most people go to a 2.5"-3" lift and then you can make it level front to back. by using an AAL or a small lift block.

19. Dec 4, 2008 at 3:10 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    You have an access cab so it is covered, TSB states Double Cab and Access Cab body styles are covered. I thought all 5 lugs were regular cabs :confused:. Congrats on getting it approved, I also noted you have listed as a 'Base' model so make sure they also upgrade all (front and rear) shocks to the blue Bilstein shocks.

20. Dec 4, 2008 at 6:05 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Well thats what I'm saying. I have an 885 toytec leveling kit with coils for the front and AAL's for the rear that are supposed to give me 3 inchs of lift up front and 2 in the back. But If I get that tsb done, does that mean it will be 3 inchs of lift in the rear after I install my totyec AAL's?

Products Discussed in

To Top