LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Give me some insight on my thinking.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Give me some insight on my thinking.

Ok, so up front I installed 5100's w/ OME 885x's. Honestly I wasn't satisfied with the height so I took them off and re adjusted them to .85", I know I know, not the best thing for the 5100's but I did it and loved the new stance. The nose is about around 1" higher than the rear which has an Icon 1.5" progressive aal and the cv's are actually at a pretty good angle.

So back to my problem.

The ride is now, as you guessed it, rough with the coil pre loaded like that. My idea was to put the 5100's back to 0" and install spacers up front to keep the height but soften up the ride a bit.

I'd like some input on my thoughts and should I go with a 1/2" spacer or 3/8" spacer to keep the nose as it stands right now.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacomasuspmisc.htm

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BUMPity
Old 01-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
I would sell the 5100s and order the OME 9000s. If you put the spacer on top of the 5100s I think that you will find the same issue even of you drop it back to the zero setting. but that's just my opinion. I'm sure others will add their .02 as well
Old 01-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
Victory is reserved...

At first I thought that too but all it would do is keep my down travel the same but now the coils wouldn't be so per loaded.

Hmmm.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I've been going back and fourth between this idea myself...gotta remember, anything over 3" will eliminate down travel...thats the mian thing holding me back. I have the 1/2" spacers from Toytec but haven't installed em.

I have the 5100s and 885x's as well (billies set at 0) and i'm about right at 3"
Old 01-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
That's stacking lifts and is def not recomended. This will still pre-load the coils and cause the same issues. The .85 is preloading it that much. A 1/2" spacer will lift you 1" if I'm correct and you'll still be in the same boat but slightly more!
Old 01-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Is your sway bar still on? If it is then take it off, that will soften the ride a bit and let the suspension do its job.

I just lowered my 5100s back down to o.o from.85 with my 885s, cv angles weren't that great and the ride was way rough offroad. I do miss the stance but I don't miss all the pops and clanks when it was @ .85 with the 5100s.

Be kind to your truck and drop it back down.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
I've been going back and fourth between this idea myself...gotta remember, anything over 3" will eliminate down travel...thats the mian thing holding me back. I have the 1/2" spacers from Toytec but haven't installed em.

I have the 5100s and 885x's as well (billies set at 0) and i'm about right at 3"
I've got the 5100's @.85/Eibach setup. I'm might install .5 spacers on each side and the .25 on driver side. But this is got me thinking.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
go ahead and buy eibach coils and set the billies at 0, that will give you the same lift. way better too.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Dan View Post
go ahead and buy eibach coils and set the billies at 0, that will give you the same lift. way better too.
Eibach coils will not provide as much lift as 885 coils. They are a shorter coil.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
Victory is reserved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post

Weird. I have the same components and when set at 0" it was spot on 2.5". Though I remember a member on here telling me that my TC ucas would bring the nose down a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
That's stacking lifts and is def not recomended. This will still pre-load the coils and cause the same issues. The .85 is preloading it that much. A 1/2" spacer will lift you 1" if I'm correct and you'll still be in the same boat but slightly more!
Thought "stacking" meant multiple spacers...hmm. Technically a spacer is used for the taco lean and its commonly used around TW, does that count as stacking? Not being an a-hole just asking.

But I cant wrap my head on how the spacers will pre load the coils. Its the same weight from the truck, it's just sitting higher. The only thing a spacer would do (That I can comprehend) is reduce down travel.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post
Thought "stacking" meant multiple spacers...hmm. Technically a spacer is used for the taco lean and its commonly used around TW, does that count as stacking? Not being an a-hole just asking.

But I cant wrap my head on how the spacers will pre load the coils. Its the same weight from the truck, it's just sitting higher. The only thing a spacer would do (That I can comprehend) is reduce down travel.
There are 2 types of spacers, some sit on top of the coil top plate and lower the entire coilover assembly, which is what I think you're talking about using. The other type gets installed under the top plate and preloads the coil similar to how the 5100's do when moved higher than the 0 setting. Honestly, I can't see how a 1/2" top plate spacer would cause you to lose enough down travel to cause a problem. One of the big issues with top plate spacers is the coil can bottom out before the LCA hits the bump stops. Typically this is a concern with taller spacers and weaker stock coils/shocks. I can't really see using a 1/2" spacer on the driver's side and 1/4" spacer on the passenger side would cause damage. That being said, I don't have this set-up so take everything I said with a grain of salt.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Your messing with the whole geometry of the design in general and what it will do is unknown. Stacking lifts is just that putting 2 diff lifts together that were designed to be used independently. A lean spacer is one thing and pretty small at that. I realize a lot of guys run the 5100s and OME coils but you have to remeber they were designed to be used with eibach prob due to there diff lengths. Now you have a longer coil and going to add diff sized spacers to it just for a certain look. Your bound to have issue down the road.

Maybe throw some heavy shit in the bed of the truck and you'll be a little higher in the front again?
Old 01-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
Victory is reserved...

Thanks for the help guys. I'll ponder about it more. I'm leaning towards switching coils to eibach but a plate bumper is in the works so we'll see.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #16
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
keep in mind that the OME shock and coils are designed specifically for a plate bumper