Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME + 5100 + Top Plate Spacer Any problems?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

slimcubby's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb OME + 5100 + Top Plate Spacer Any problems?

Hi Guys!

Anybody running the OME front coils w/ bilstein 5100's and the top plate 1/2" spacer? I spoke to Doug over at Toytec and he mentioned some people do this setup but can experience there coils hitting the upper A arms at full droop when off road. I wanted to see if anybody has this setup and has experienced any problems.

Thanks!
~Slim
Old 12-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
I run that setup..My UCA's do hit the springs at full droop..
Old 12-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
I run that setup..My UCA's do hit the springs at full droop..
Is it something that you are planning on changing in the future like your shocks to OME so you don't have that problem anymore? Or are you ok with it not too big of a deal and are just going to live with it. I am not sure if I have seen pics of your truck but can you post a pic showing your lift?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm not going to just live with it.. It bugs haha. I'll be putting new UCA's on soon, that should fix it.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Question

I am going to run OME 885's with 5100's but arent installed yet. I have aftermarket UCA's though by total chaos. Damn I wonder if the TC UCA's will rub at full droop?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
╒╪╕

The TC's shouldn't rub, from what i've been told anyway. Let me know when you put them on. Would be nice to know before I fork out the cash!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #7

Ok haha I hear ya.. I am stuck with either getting the top plate spacers and dealing with it or changing my setup to the OME shocks or even changing my springs to the coilover kit from Toytec that works with the 5100's.

Is it something that you can notice when driving normal everyday? Or only when you are off road.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #8
╒╪╕

the only time i feel it rub is when i'm offroad..and the occasional killer speed bump
Old 12-01-2008, 12:41 PM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Question

Yeah no problem Mytoytaco. They wont be on until a few weeks from now and yeah, they were friggin pricey! Every time I try and get all my stuff installed, something comes up! Oh well, at least I got everything on hand. Hey Mytoytaco, do you have 5100s all around? Also, do you have the 885's with the rear AAL's?
Old 12-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
╒╪╕

I have 885's on front with 5100's, and rear AAL with 5125's w/ adapters
Old 12-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious...

But if you guys are running lift coils with 5100's - then why are you putting top plate spacers in? The 5100's are adjustable....

Surely it'll be a stiffer ride - but that's much better than clearance issues & having to spend more money on other stuff.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #12
╒╪╕

Wouldn't you have the same problem going that route?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Just curious...

But if you guys are running lift coils with 5100's - then why are you putting top plate spacers in? The 5100's are adjustable....

Surely it'll be a stiffer ride - but that's much better than clearance issues & having to spend more money on other stuff.
from what I know you'll be putting a load on the springs making a stiffer ride and possible damage.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #14

Quote:
I have 885's on front with 5100's, and rear AAL with 5125's w/ adapters
Do you have any drifting at high speeds with your stock UCA's?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #15
╒╪╕

It does seem to wander all over the 101. people have been keeping a nice distance behind me lately

Ok a little exaggerated..it's not that bad, but it does wander a little.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:40 PM   #16

Quote:
It does seem to wander all over the 101. people have been keeping a nice distance behind me lately

Ok a little exaggerated..it's not that bad, but it does wander a little.
Hmm is this something everyone gets until they get new UCA's or some people don't experience it
Old 12-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #17
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcubby View Post
from what I know you'll be putting a load on the springs making a stiffer ride and possible damage.
I would think - dealing with a stiffer ride is much easier & cheaper to deal with than the coils hitting the UCA's and/or spending tons of money on upper control arms.

Is that extra 1" on the top plate that important to spend that much more money on UCA's to 'make it work'. Nothing wrong with a 1" body lift which will also make clearance for the rear also.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #18
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Save yourself the trouble and go w/the Toytech coil overs. If you already have the 5100's, purchase the conversion kit. It's $429.00, lot cheaper than UCA's. You will be hapier, and the ride quality will out perform any top plate spacer lift. IMO...
Old 12-01-2008, 03:44 PM   #19
Lieutenant Dan.

Question

Hey Mytoytaco.....how is your 885/5100's in the front? Nice ride? You have the 5100's set at 0 right? I think I might be getting mine lifted the 15th of this month. Not for sure though.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #20
╒╪╕

Compared to stock, it rides much better. They are set at 0.