LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

2012 Tacoma. Will a lift void my warranty?

Old 01-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
RUQWKNF27 is on a distinguished road
RUQWKNF27's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Tacoma. Will a lift void my warranty?

Want to do like a 3" lift and also looking for suggestions for a good one!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Desert Warrior
TX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: SHANE
TX RPO's Tacoma Gallery
no.. Just whatever parts you replace won't be covered..
Old 01-25-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Google the Mugnusson-Moss act. The dealer cannot void the warranty on your vehicle for any reason. However they can deny individual warranty claims if they can prove that an aftermarket part caused the failure.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
petezny will become famous soon enough
Name: Pete
petezny's Tacoma Gallery
And remember they can refuse warranty replacement on any part that may have failed prematurely because of your lift not just the parts in the lift. So they might refuse warranty replacement on U joints, CVs, rear end or even some transmission problems (rear seal or bearing from the increased vibration due to excessive drive line angles) just to name some possibilities.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
Taco Samurai
Royce99 is on a distinguished road

Name: Royce
Royce99's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, I also have a 2012. I just left the dealership, none of the guys could give me straight answer when I asked them about this. They all had different answers. I want a 3 inch lift, but dont want to void my warranty.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
COMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

COMAtose HI's Tacoma Gallery
Get your 3" lift installed by the Toyota dealership...and make sure you keep all of the receipts, documents, etc.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce99 View Post
Hey guys, I also have a 2012. I just left the dealership, none of the guys could give me straight answer when I asked them about this. They all had different answers. I want a 3 inch lift, but dont want to void my warranty.
The two posts above you are correct. They cant void the warranty completely but they can deny service if something is broken/worn soley because of the lift. The problem is if they deny you, YOU have to plead your case and prove the lift didnt cause the problem.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
Taco Samurai

Royce99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMAtose HI View Post
Get your 3" lift installed by the Toyota dealership...and make sure you keep all of the receipts, documents, etc.
I've been leaning towards this, but it costs so damn much!
Old 02-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
Taco Samurai

Royce99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
The two posts above you are correct. They cant void the warranty completely but they can deny service if something is broken/worn soley because of the lift. The problem is if they deny you, YOU have to plead your case and prove the lift didnt cause the problem.
This is why I'm on the fence of where to get it done. I know of a reputable 4x4 shop who will save me $500...but in the long run?
Old 02-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
COMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4wheelparts has a pretty good warranty policy as well, but it costs 500 bucks. It's a 5 year 50k mile warranty that basically saves your ass if anything lift related breaks. I would say your safest route is the dealership, even though it's expensive and most of the mechanics are clueless about installing suspension lifts...atleast you are some what taken care of if something goes wrong.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I had a reputable 4x4 and fabrication shop install mine. Granted my truck isn't brand new and doesn't have as much warranty left, but still. Rather have people do it that routinely do that kind of work. Don't know why having a dealer install it is going to matter for them trying to void a warranty claim. It's still aftermarket parts not covered by Toyota. They could still try and turn around and say something cause something to break. It's not like your installing an approved Toyota part that carries a warranty like a TRD supercharger.

Just know your rights with the above referenced warranty act and have someone that knows what they're doing install it, saving you money at the same time.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #12

Typically Toyota installs a kit that they "say" is covered under their warranty. I really think its a load of BS because I called three different dealerships and got three different lift kit brands lol....but hey if they say it's covered and you have it in writing....then why not get it installed at the dealership.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMAtose HI View Post
Typically Toyota installs a kit that they "say" is covered under their warranty. I really think its a load of BS because I called three different dealerships and got three different lift kit brands lol....but hey if they say it's covered and you have it in writing....then why not get it installed at the dealership.
Depends what kit it is. You'll see dealers selling new ones with lifts on from time to time. Can't remember the brand either. But I wouldn't buy a kit that they have just for the sake of them saying it's under warranty then. The kit and installation will be a lot more potentially then picking out your own kit and having it installed elsewhere.

I mean sure, if it's what you want, and they say it will be covered, go for it. Still don't know it's worth paying that much more. Seeing as Toyota themselves doesn't sell a lift it's going to vary dealer to dealer from what they might have. So I'd absolutely make sure you have it documented that they said it's under warranty since it's a dealer thing and not Toyota corp.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
The Kit my dealership uses is a Revtec Spacer kit. But today I got a Pro Comp 3" Suspension lift and 285/65/18's put on and I am very happy and the ride is great. I figured what the heck its what I want . If someone runs a red light next week and kills me a warranty wouldn't do me any good then either. Now life insurance and the wife thats another story.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #16
Taco Samurai

Royce99's Tacoma Gallery
The dealer I spoke with uses a Ready Lift brand. I've heard to stay away from spacer/block lifts, but I won't be doing any offroad driving in this truck. I basically only need the lift to clear my wheels and tires.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #17
Taco Samurai

Royce99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWKNF27 View Post
The Kit my dealership uses is a Revtec Spacer kit. But today I got a Pro Comp 3" Suspension lift and 285/65/18's put on and I am very happy and the ride is great. I figured what the heck its what I want . If someone runs a red light next week and kills me a warranty wouldn't do me any good then either. Now life insurance and the wife thats another story.
How much did that lift cost you? If you dont mind me asking. Any pics?
Old 02-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #18
Lift was $ 485.00 It looks awesome.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #19
Here is is with a 285-65-18 Only problem I had was not enough of the factory wheel studs came thru with the new wheels. I could only thread 1/2 of the acorn style lug nut that the wheel was made for.
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Tacoma. Will a lift void my warranty?-dads-toyota.jpg  
Old 02-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #20
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWKNF27 View Post
Here is is with a 285-65-18 Only problem I had was not enough of the factory wheel studs came thru with the new wheels. I could only thread 1/2 of the acorn style lug nut that the wheel was made for.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=119883